2023 World Team Trophy Men's Free Skate | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2023 World Team Trophy Men's Free Skate

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I do think that lots of skaters can show better what they "can" with their gala programs.
So a comparison between certain athletes based on their competitive programs can (not must) bring a different result than using galas for it.

e.g. Yuma surprised me with his Oly season gala. Others might not be able to spark when they are under less pressure etc.
Yuma is only 19 and that means he was even younger at the Olympics... a big deal for such a young skater. I don't blame him for being a bit more reserved.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
i get excited with refinement.... because to me, that shows dedication and hours of work... it's probably coming from my own training.

Shoma and Yuma are my two favourite Japanese skaters.
I love Adam and Jun.

I am getting into Lukas too.

I am a fan of skaters who have good technique (not necessarily difficult jumps but a decent competitive content) and effortless skating provided by great skating skills... I want it all :)

I miss Patrick :)
Refinement for me needs to be of galactic proportions to hit me, like Uno. Uno has an unfair advantage, because i saw him in 2018 Olympics and decided to watch FS to see how him and Zagitova do next, because both of them had that light bulb effect. I finally got to see Uno live twice later in his career, with Lambiel's polish and damn, it's amazing. But so is Messing and Britgchi and Miura and Rizzo. I love when they totally fill the huge white space with their presence. Also, storytelling. Love storytelling.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Refinement for me needs to be of galactic proportions to hit me, like Uno. Uno has an unfair advantage, because i saw him in 2018 Olympics and decided to watch FS to see how him and Zagitova do next, because both of them had that light bulb effect. I finally got to see Uno live twice later in his career, with Lambiel's polish and damn, it's amazing. But so is Messing and Britgchi and Miura and Rizzo. I love when they totally fill the huge white space with their presence. Also, storytelling. Love storytelling.
maybe you need to see Yuma live. His speed is something else... you will most likely be amazed at how he can fill up the ice I am saying this without having had the chance to see him live yet... but that's the feeling i get from watching him last year. His skating is so smooth and powerful.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
This is not US Nationals, this is how Ilia is scored in the real world. You could look at the total points he got in TES in the upper left corner of the screen and it was obvious,with the PCS he usually gets internationally, that there was no way he was gonna be more than 4th. Seeing people on the official live stream chat wondering if he'll be 1st or 2nd and shocked at the actual result was... interesting.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
i like to see new avatars :) so yeah... to each their own :) were you just looking at the images when you started reading books? I tend to look at the username first... some pictures of some skaters are used by more than one gs user... At one point, many of us had a similar Patrick Chan photo :) ha !!!! If i hadn't read their names, I wouldn't have any clue who was writing :) and that's just Patrick... some skaters have way many more fans ;)

:laugh:

Nah, it's just that the avatars are bigger than the words. And when you are watching skating when you are not half awake (as was the case this morning!), it's easier to see big things! ;) :biggrin:

Funny you should say that about the time when there were a lot of Patrick avatars. Because I did get people mixed up a lot back then. I thought everybody was you! :laugh: And if I am totally honest, I still expect to see a particular picture of Patrick when I see a post from you. Even though it has been many years, and you have been through many avatars, since then.

I wanted to post a link to the avatar I remember for you, so I went looking at GS pages on the Wayback Machine. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it. But seeing members' old avatars brought back so many memories!

I guess I'm just too nostalgic.

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Nah, it's just that the avatars are bigger than the words. And when you are watching skating when you are not half awake (as was the case this morning!), it's easier to see big things! ;) :biggrin:

Funny you should say that about the time when there were a lot of Patrick avatars. Because I did get people mixed up a lot back then. I thought everybody was you! :laugh: And if I am totally honest, I still expect to see a particular picture of Patrick when I see a post from you. Even though it has been many years, and you have been through many avatars, since then.

I wanted to post a link to the avatar I remember for you, so I went looking at GS pages on the Wayback Machine. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it. But seeing members' old avatars brought back so many memories!

CaroLiza_fan
come on :) Gabriele deserves to be featured :) Look at this nice bloke !
When I see @mrrice 's avatar, sometimes i think it is me LOL

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Italy will be men-rich next year, Canada-poor (unless Chui breaks out) and Korea is stuck in the embarrassing position where their only guy is getting a red carpet rolled out for him, but they don't have the heir and the spare. Despite both Japanese guys underperforming, they are fine so long as Shoma rests his ankle. US is on thin ice unless Zhou or Chen are presuaded to skate a season or two until they get Yampolskii and Co up to speed. France is in a more precarious position than Italy, States and Japan, but better than Canada.

I can't say how much I loved Messing and Rizzo, and how happy I was for Sato edging toward third guy in Japan.

Respect to Grassl's tenacity, and yes, the polish job is obvious. So far it's balanced out with the downvotes from the community, so it will be interesting to see if he breaks or works until they can't ding him if they tried.

I am so sad for Fa, but Gogolev crossed the line where I no longer care. My eyes are on Chui at this point for Canada.

I can't wait for next season to see different programs from Aymoz. He forever won me by that awful Skate Canada when he was forced to skate injured and fell right in front of me and I thought he wouldn't get up... and I am so happy he is climbing back up, hopefully healed, but I just can't with these programs.

For me, Malinin > Cha, but it’s very much an ideological struggle of values, so I keep my fingers crossed that Malinin and Co will navigate it by next season successfully. But both are my top priority to see live next season!
I think France is good, they have 2 leading men. They have three spots for Europeans. Francis, Luc and Landry will fight for that spot, so one may have a breakout season.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

CaroLiza_fan
I will probably always have a Zhenya avatar. I really like this picture, so I haven't changed it in awhile.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
We do. And sometimes we agree like we do on Kevin. Its rare to find a poster that you like every skater the same.
@lariko and I agree on Naumov and Annis, but not on all skaters. @4everchan we agree on Yuma and pairs SD/D. It makes for interesting discussions.
and sometimes our own tastes make no sense :) as a fan of Patrick and Jo Phan... and Jeff Buttle... I ended up becoming very supportive of Conrad who is nothing like what I usually look for...
but then, again, my favourite ice cream flavour is lavender, and I am having dill pickle hummus right now LOL

icewhite

Record Breaker
We do. And sometimes we agree like we do on Kevin. Its rare to find a poster that you like every skater the same.
@lariko and I agree on Naumov and Annis, but not on all skaters. @4everchan we agree on Yuma and pairs SD/D. It makes for interesting discussions.

Sure. We all have our favourites and aspects we don't like and that's a good thing. I just usually try to find patterns and was left wondering. :D
I mean, of course many factors can play a role. Personally I often like fast, modern skaters with more current music and a more athletic, but very fluid style... but I might also just like someone because something about them strikes me on an entirely different level... or I first saw them in a difficult situation which left me feeling they needed support... or something like that...

icewhite

Record Breaker
and sometimes our own tastes make no sense :) as a fan of Patrick and Jo Phan... and Jeff Buttle... I ended up becoming very supportive of Conrad who is nothing like what I usually look for...
but then, again, my favourite ice cream flavour is lavender, and I am having dill pickle hummus right now LOL

Okay, the last sentence has to make one very suspicious of your character. Quirky, okay, we all have our flaws, but lavender ice cream and dill pickle humus... 😟

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sure. We all have our favourites and aspects we don't like and that's a good thing. I just usually try to find patterns and was left wondering. :D
I mean, of course many factors can play a role. Personally I often like fast, modern skaters with more current music and a more athletic, but very fluid style... but I might also just like someone because something about them strikes me on an entirely different level... or I first saw them in a difficult situation which left me feeling they needed support... or something like that...
It definitely can be personal. I like a skater who makes me feel connected. Evgenia looks like my niece and her skating touches me. Andreas Nordeback looks like my husband when he was young, and his 'Hurt' SP is just great. Kevin is so innovative and emotional, plus he likes my posts on Instagram. And Deniss has fantastic spins and is such a performer and I like him as a person.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Okay, the last sentence has to make one very suspicious of your character. Quirky, okay, we all have our flaws, but lavender ice cream and dill pickle humus... 😟
i had lavender ice cream for the first time in a very nice restaurant... and it's pretty hard to find in general so i have to make my own :) it's the Patrick Chan of ice creams ;)

dill pickle hummus is of a completely different nature :) and easy to find in stores... so i don't need to get so invested in it :)

i realize that I may have confused a few people with the ice cream and dill pickle reference. No. I am not pregnant... I mean, wrong gender here for that :) haha

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think you like Conrad, same as me. He is really handsome. He has quads and so much potential. I think he needs that one program that is his alone that will help with his presentation. I also like him because he was kind to Evgenia at TCC.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think you like Conrad, same as me. He is really handsome. He has quads and so much potential. I think he needs that one program that is his alone that will help with his presentation. I also like him because he was kind to Evgenia at TCC.
i also like how he is in the KnC with his coaches... always showing so much respect and will to improve. Taking things gradually, not having signs of impatience or dejection. He seems like a smart and humble kid, just working hard at getting better. Many would have folded considering he has to relearn so much (gosh i am not sure what his first coach was doing....) but nope... he moved to Ravi and is just building and building. Ravi is a very underestimated coach. So yeah... here, it's not so much about the skating but about the human. Looks help but nobody beats Maxime for me right now :) haha ;) ( I know... probably an odd choice considering there are so many attractive skaters out there)

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i also like how he is in the KnC with his coaches... always showing so much respect and will to improve. Taking things gradually, not having signs of impatience or dejection. He seems like a smart and humble kid, just working hard at getting better. Many would have folded considering he has to relearn so much (gosh i am not sure what his first coach was doing....) but nope... he moved to Ravi and is just building and building. Ravi is a very underestimated coach. So yeah... here, it's not so much about the skating but about the human. Looks help but nobody beats Maxime for me right now :) haha ;) ( I know... probably an odd choice considering there are so many attractive skaters out there)
Maxime is really good looking. I saw him at Skate America. My niece liked him too.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Maxime is really good looking. I saw him at Skate America. My niece liked him too.
let me know what your niece thinks of Nik Soerensen if she ever gets a chance to meet him in person.... it's quite the experience... :dbana:

Maxime, to me, looks very Québécois... so I guess it's the kind of look I grew up with and learned to appreciate ;)

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It's incredible how Cha's components have increased in one season. I think it's something like 15 points higher. There is a lot of subjectivity to components of course.

Cha is very exciting and I like both his programs, but I think if another person skated that program (you know who) they would have dinged him for three q's instead of one.

Not sure about the under-rotation on Ilia's 4A either. Maybe I missed something there. I'll have to look at that in slow motion (really, really slow motion).
It's even more magical that he went from chronically under-rotating (I still remember that 4CC when poor guy recieved a huge drop in TES that cost him the podium) to fully rotating. I mean, okay, he is past puberty and maybe he found the skates that fit great... honestly, I don’t mind at all him being scored high after years of being underscored, but if they are handing out 11s in PCSs (that's a joke), Malinin should be getting 5s in GoE on his jumps, because they are high, huge, with a beautiful extension in the end, and zero telegraphing.