Jason Brown | Page 288 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Another cute Random Jason bit is that I believe that Jason is the youngest US men's Olympic medalist since Dick Button. He also could be the first US men's singles skater to win two Olympic medals since Dick button if he makes it back in 2018.

Also... if he wins a medal in the team and individual event... he will have more Olympic medals than Uncle Dick or any other men's singles skater in US history.

Also. I think Shoma Uno's SP costume would be good for Jason. It would work well for his Free this year. Mostly just simple black, but still nice looking with some detail.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another cute Random Jason bit is that I believe that Jason is the youngest US men's Olympic medalist since Dick Button. He also could be the first US men's singles skater to win two Olympic medals since Dick button if he makes it back in 2018.

Also... if he wins a medal in the team and individual event... he will have more Olympic medals than Uncle Dick or any other men's singles skater in US history.

Also. I think Shoma Uno's SP costume would be good for Jason. It would work well for his Free this year. Mostly just simple black, but still nice looking with some detail.

That black costume would be great for Jason, if Rohene would allow it! :noshake: Definitely not Shoma's green leprechaun one though, although I have to say it has kinda grown on me during the season...It was SO GREAT to see Jason back out on the ice. I just love him (and his Russian splits!).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No, I am not saying Kori and Jason at all. I think that Kori and Jason bruised other people's egos when they went for the bye. I think the powers that be did not like being in that position of having to pick between Nathan and Jason and would have rathered he just stay quiet and not make an issue for them.
In some ways the committee's job would have been easier, and had less attention paid to it had Jason not applied for the bye. Sometimes people get illogically upset at being expected to do their job. I think they were annoyed that Jason's team followed the published rules for the bye rather than some secret or implied rules. For instance many online seemed to feel that byes should only be for medal contenders.... but that is not written out. They did not follow their own rules, and have said nothing positive about Jason since, so yeah... I think they were not thrilled with the bye petition. Frankly they sounded bitter in the recent Nick McCarvel, so that makes me think some egos were bruised and there was some annoyance about the situation. Based on the published criteria Jason should have been on the world team. They can have whatever criteria they want, but I do think they should publish it and follow it. Given how they just blew off their own rules, gave no clarification or statement, I think there were people who were not thrilled with him applying for the bye. I can't help but feel if there is not some bitterness, or bruised egos as i said before, then why would we not have heard some sorta of positive statement from USFSA? ...

Words clearly mean very different things to you and me. In this case, "bruised ego" and "bitterness" clearly mean very different things to you and me.

The only thing that we know with certainty is that the committee was unconvinced by Jason's petition.

I don't know whether members of the committee were "annoyed" by Jason's petition. I don't know whether his petition made them uncomfortable. But even if I were to assume that they did feel annoyance or discomfort, I don't see why those reactions would indicate that egos were bruised.

I'm not aware of any quote signaling bitterness. Making a decision unfavorable to Jason does not mean that anyone is "bitter." But even if I were to buy that bitterness were a true reaction, bitterness has nothing to do with "ego," IMO.

It is natural and understandable that fans of Jason did not like the decision to deny his petition.
But I don't agree with your extrapolations that the petition bruised egos or caused bitterness.

Shallow ;) observation re Jason's hair at TCC:
Is it me, or did anyone else think his ponytail looked extra curly? As if the extra curliness was intentional? (I mean for the SP and FS. I haven't really looked at anything from the gala.)
I did not dislike the extra curliness ... just couldn't help noticing it.​

ETA:
Have been meaning to say that I am super-excited :yay: for Jason that he is about to take his birthright trip to Israel. ... as he long has been wanting to do.​

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Words clearly mean very different things to you and me. In this case, "bruised ego" and "bitterness" clearly mean very different things to you and me.

The only thing that we know with certainty is that the committee was unconvinced by Jason's petition.

I don't know whether members of the committee were "annoyed" by Jason's petition. I don't know whether his petition made them uncomfortable. But even if I were to assume that they did feel annoyance or discomfort, I don't see why those reactions would indicate that egos were bruised.

I'm not aware of any quote signaling bitterness. Making a decision unfavorable to Jason does not mean that anyone is "bitter." But even if I were to buy that bitterness were a true reaction, bitterness has nothing to do with "ego," IMO.

It is natural and understandable that fans of Jason did not like the decision to deny his petition.
But I don't agree with your extrapolations that the petition bruised egos or caused bitterness.

Shallow ;) observation re Jason's hair at TCC:
Is it me, or did anyone else think his ponytail looked extra curly? As if the extra curliness was intentional? (I mean for the SP and FS. I haven't really looked at anything from the gala.)
I did not dislike the extra curliness ... just couldn't help noticing it.​

I also see no evidence of bitterness or bruised USFS egos as I understand those terms, and I'm hopeful that Jason's beautiful performances allayed any concerns USFS may have had.

And yeah, I also noticed his ponytail looked curlier!

I have to say, while I love the pony tail, I kinda wish someone would drag him to Devachan or another salon that specializes in super curly hair. I think the right cut and a curly hair cleansing routine would probably give him more curl and less frizz, allowing him to wear it down sometimes if he wanted to.

musicfan80

Medalist
And that would be the only point on which I think we'd all agree, that Adam is the current "it-boy" of the USFS.

I also don't know i fully agree that Adam is the current golden boy. Let's remember that Adam as the reigning silver medalist and as such highest placing returning skater was not even interviewed for NBC and was pretty much written off before Nationals. They may like him now, but only so far as he is useful to him. They will drop him like a hot potato once it is seen as beneficial to them to do so.

I think a lot of Adam's appeal to USFS is that he is so active with the public, especially on social media. Even compared to someone who is outgoing like Jason, Adam posts a lot more on Twitter and Instagram. And I think the "bestie" friendship with Ashley gets a lot of promotion. What's Max or Jason going to do? A bromance with Joshua? If Maddie Aaron and Max Settlage improve and make a Worlds team, I could see Max Aaron doing some fun pictures or videos together.

I did some research (because I swore that many of the U.S. skaters in the 1950s and 1960s were really young) - David Jenkins (1956) and Tim Wood (1968) were both 19 like Jason Brown was. And Scott Allen (1964) was two days short of his 15th birthday when he won his bronze medal :jaw:.

But it has been many, many, years since we had a men's medalist that was younger than 21 - and Jason deserves all the kudos for contributing to the team bronze medal - that must have been a lot of pressure after Jeremy's mistakes in the SP.

Have been meaning to say that I am super-excited :yay: for Jason that he is about to take his birthright trip to Israel. ... as he long has been wanting to do.

That is cool! And the weather will nice while he is there - I can't imagine how hot it would be if he went a month later.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
.....*sigh* Ferengi rule of accusation #33 It never hurts to suck up to the boss .....

Methinks that is Ferengi Rule of Acquisition, ;) and I also think the Grand Negus would tear out his two remaining hairs at the USFSA. They appear to have no clue how to monetize the very appealing men they have skating for them.

On the ever popular subject of Jason's hair, I think he has a thicker longer "pull tie" (having very rarely worn ponytails myself, I don't know what to call it) which forces more of the curl out of the end. (That part I know :)) Of course, I haven't looked that closely so I could be completely wrong.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I think a lot of Adam's appeal to USFS is that he is so active with the public, especially on social media. Even compared to someone who is outgoing like Jason, Adam posts a lot more on Twitter and Instagram. And I think the "bestie" friendship with Ashley gets a lot of promotion. What's Max or Jason going to do? A bromance with Joshua? If Maddie Aaron and Max Settlage improve and make a Worlds team, I could see Max Aaron doing some fun pictures or videos together.

I did some research (because I swore that many of the U.S. skaters in the 1950s and 1960s were really young) - David Jenkins (1956) and Tim Wood (1968) were both 19 like Jason Brown was. And Scott Allen (1964) was two days short of his 15th birthday when he won his bronze medal :jaw:.

But it has been many, many, years since we had a men's medalist that was younger than 21 - and Jason deserves all the kudos for contributing to the team bronze medal - that must have been a lot of pressure after Jeremy's mistakes in the SP.

That is cool! And the weather will nice while he is there - I can't imagine how hot it would be if he went a month later.

I agree that the Ashley-Adam friendship is a great media hook but I'm not sure Adam is more active on social media than Jason. Adam has been on Twitter a lot longer than Jason (2009 v 2013) so he has about double the tweets - but Jason has 55 thousand followers compared to Adam's 32,000. They have roughly the same number of Instagram posts (Adam has about 100 more), but again, Jason has 49 thousand followers versus Adam's 28 thousand. (But Gracie's followers dwarf Jason's!)

I personally think the biggest factors are that (1) Raf is currently in a better position to advocate for his three successful Team USA skaters (Adam, Ashley, Nathan) than Kori is for Jason (much as I love Mariah and Jordan, they haven't yet achieved consistent competitive success); and (2) Jason's been injured for six months and was falling on his quads and 3As all fall. I also think that Adam and Ashley probably have a really good PR person - their public images seem to have been very carefully planned to make them look gorgeous, hip, and exciting - the perfect antidote to counter USFS's stodgy reputation.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doesn't look like it's ever gonna happen, but if Gracie would actually move to 7k, they could play up her and her BFF Jason. (Trying to think like a publicist....);)

I agree that Rafa's star is on the rise, and he is smart to play it up now. It will last only for as long as Adam (whom I really like as a skater and mostly as a person when he's not being b*tchy) is consistent and Nathan is healthy. I can only rely on the fact that it's a long road that has no turns....

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have been meaning to say that I am super-excited :yay: for Jason that he is about to take his birthright trip to Israel. ... as he long has been wanting to do.​
I've been neglecting to do birthright myself.....though I DID go to Israel with my family and about 10 other families from my synagogue in July-August 2007 for a synagogue family trip. And that was a lot of fun despite me basically living off of McDonalds when we were in Jerusalem cause I'm incredibly picky.

deetrakt

Rinkside
...I agree that Rafa's star is on the rise, and he is smart to play it up now. It will last only for as long as Adam (whom I really like as a skater and mostly as a person when he's not being b*tchy) is consistent and Nathan is healthy.Doesn't I can only rely on the fact that it's a long road that has no turns....
Just want to point out that at 2015 Nationals, Raf was one of those making comments about how a US mens champion needed to have a quad or quads. He apparently believed that Adam was going to land a non-downgraded quad Lutz and knew that Nathan was in the pipeline--so he was covered. As far as I'm aware, Adam has yet to land a non-downgraded quad.

To me, Tom Z has a real advantage over Kori, based on his tenure as a leading coach and a Broadmoor stalwart--an advantage that extends to his leverage with USFS. Rather, what has hurt Max is that both international and US judges mark him down on PCS. His scores have begun to improve since concerted work on performance skills began last Spring. The shame is that overcoming this deficit didn't begin in earnest until after the 2015 US Nationals, shortly before Max turned 23! Given the enthusiasm with which Max has embraced this challenge, Tom Z bears a lot of the responsibility for not addressing this sooner. (At 2015 Nationals, Max's SP was to "Footloose", not a step in the right direction.)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... What has hurt Max is that both international and US judges mark him down on PCS. His scores have slowly improved since concerted work on skating and performance skills began last Spring. The shame is that overcoming this deficit didn't begin in earnest until after the 2015 US Nationals, shortly before Max turned 23! ...

B/c this thread is for Jason, just a brief reply re Max:

Max's concerted work on PCS dates back at least as far as the 2013-14 season (when he was 21). He was taking ballet and ballroom then; he chose Carmen; etc. Max's efforts intensified with the addition of Phillip Mills to his team after 2015 Nats.

I think a lot of Adam's appeal to USFS is that he is so active with the public, especially on social media. ....

... I'm not sure Adam is more active on social media than Jason. Adam has been on Twitter a lot longer than Jason (2009 v 2013) so he has about double the tweets - but Jason has 55 thousand followers compared to Adam's 32,000. They have roughly the same number of Instagram posts (Adam has about 100 more), but again, Jason has 49 thousand followers versus Adam's 28 thousand. ...

In terms of social media, I think Jason is at least as valuable to USFS as Adam is. Perhaps more valuable, as Tavi's post would suggest.

Thanks to TCC, we have a little "head-to-head" ;) (although unscientific) data for comparison.
Each man promoted TCC by tweeting a customized professional graphic, presumably supplied by USFS or icenetwork.
As influencers, Jason and Adam looked pretty even.

Jason
Retweets 81; Likes 182
https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/722172682649796609 (Apr 18)

Adam
Retweets 72; Likes 194
https://twitter.com/Adaripp/status/722928858744229889 (Apr 20)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Friendly reminder our guidelines state to not gush in the Fan Fest threads at the expense of another skater or their team/fans. Thanks, all.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Friendly reminder our guidelines state to not gush in the Fan Fest threads at the expense of another skater or their team/fans. Thanks, all.

True. So I like to say, Jason's one of few skaters that I wouldn't mind seeing a program where he doesn't do any jumps.

jacque

Rinkside
hi I have a question for any one that can help I'm not jewish, but I have hered that Jason was taking atrip too isreal but what is a birthrite trip and what does it pertail. I'm just courious. thanks.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
hi I have a question for any one that can help I'm not jewish, but I have hered that Jason was taking atrip too isreal but what is a birthrite trip and what does it pertail. I'm just courious. thanks.

I'm no expert, but the basic idea is that it is a free educational trip available to young Jewish adults -- to help them learn about and feel connected to Israel.
https://birthrightisrael.foundation/mission.php

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm no expert, but the basic idea is that it is a free educational trip available to young Jewish adults -- to help them learn about and feel connected to Israel.
https://birthrightisrael.foundation/mission.php

Yeah. At my synagogue, after we have our Bar/Bat Mitzvah, they kinda "issue" us a birthright thing where we can take a trip to Israel for free between the ages of 18 and 26. I think that's how they did it for my synagogue.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From Rohene's Facebook page, posted after Jason's LP and with a link to a vid:

"Yes yes yes!!!!!! Thats all i can say. This boy skated his behind off in thus program. I am super uber proud of Jason Brown for staying positive and coming back better and stronger than before! You are a true champion inside and out! Such a blessing to watch you and work everyday!!!"

We all :love: Rohene in this thread, but man does that guy loooove his exclamation marks! Of course, in this case he's right;)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
It looks like Jason won't be performing at Jordan's One Skate at a Time benefit. :(

Still a worthy cause, but I was hoping to see him! Oh, well....

jacque

Rinkside
hi thanks for the help with the question that's really cool that they get a chance too visit there ancestral home land.thats cool I always wanted too visit isreal. a lot of my ancesters come from irleland and england .iwould love too go there some time too. I think rohene is the creative genius behind jasons talent. andim sorry Jason wont be performing in jordans benefit show this year.