Jason Brown | Page 289 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It looks like Jason won't be performing at Jordan's One Skate at a Time benefit. :(

Still a worthy cause, but I was hoping to see him! Oh, well....

That is a bummer.:noshake: But maybe Mariah will do her Roxie program, and you can give us the update.:biggrin:

deetrakt

Rinkside
Here's one of my favorite young Jason performances:

JGP Final 2011 - Flow Like Water

I also like this outfit and wouldn't mind a variation of it for his SP or FS.
Thanks for posting. Hadn't seen that one for a while. Terrific music and choreography and another in a series of knockout clean FS performances by Jason.

The next season, at his final World Juniors in Milan, he won the FS (to Liebestraum), but finished second overall to Josh Farris. The video I've seen before, featuring the "British EuroSport Boys" commenting and raving about Jason throughout and a camera cut to Ottavio Cinquanta (with family) watching impassively, has now been removed from YT, 3 years after the fact! If anyone has a video of this performance, it's worth seeing again.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
JGP Final 2011 - Flow Like Water

I also like this outfit and wouldn't mind a variation of it for his SP or FS.[/QUOTE]

:love: ahhhhhhh, look at our baby JGPF champion! :love: And yes, this was the last season (IMO) that he had good costumes for both programs.

He would also go on to win the World Junior bronze medal with this FS (behind Joshua - of course! - who finished just half a point behind Han Yan).

The next season, at his final World Juniors in Milan, he won the FS (to Liebestraum), but finished second overall to Josh Farris. The video I've seen before, featuring the "British EuroSport Boys" commenting and raving about Jason throughout and a camera cut to Ottavio Cinquanta (with family) watching impassively, has now been removed from YT, 3 years after the fact! If anyone has a video of this performance, it's worth seeing again.

Let me have a look through my multitude of video folders when I get home from work later. I'm sure I have this one because it's my favourite video of that program too. Our Js were absolutely dominant at JWC that year - no-one else was really close. I wonder what the judges would have done if Jason had had a clean SP. Though then I suppose you could also ask what they'd have done if Josh had landed the 4T in the FS and I don't think there's any argument there.

I remember watching them that season and swearing up and down that the USFS were idiots, because it was so obvious that in terms of their skating quality, they were clearly Seniors. They outclassed the rest of the field by a long way.

I also remember Jason having an uncharacteristically poor performance at JGP Courchevel that season and getting beaten by a little whippet of a kid doing quads - Boyang Jin. And of course Joshua embarked on an epic showdown with Kovtun at the JGPF which was unfortunately spoiled by dairy. Darn it.

EDIT:

Yes, Tavi, that's it! The British Eurosport commentary on Joshua's FS was also fabulous. They were in raptures over those two, loved them both so much.

Last edited:

deetrakt

Rinkside
Those skate guards!

https://instagram.com/p/BE7FdsmTXHi/

For those of you who don't skate, it's pretty amazing that Jason wears these particular boots to jump triples and quads: they're lower cut than normal boots - like dance boots - which means he needs really strong ankles to jump in them. The lower boots make toe point easier.

ETA: Deetrakt, is this it?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxwr51_jwc-2013-jason-brown-fs_sport
Yes, thanks Tavi for coming to the rescue!

Also, Jason's boot choice and how it is used more by ice dancers rather than other figure skaters was the subject of an animated discussion--maybe here--several years ago. (No idea where, of course.)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Team USA features Jason for its #TuesdayThoughts tweet today.

https://twitter.com/TeamUSA/status/727524458508898306

Photo is from Trophee Eric Bompard 2013, it's like #throwbacktuesday.

I love that they quoted him, and I love that quote.

Using that comp's photo, not to mention using a photo with that typical figure skaters mid-jump painful scrunched expression, which is not attractive ...:confused:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I love that they quoted him, and I love that quote.

Using that comp's photo, not to mention using a photo with that typical figure skaters mid-jump painful scrunched expression, which is not attractive ...:confused:

Oh come on guys, please let's not devolve into conspiracy theories on everything. I have no issue with them using Bompard - it was Riverdance's first successful outing and his first GP medal, what on earth is wrong with that? And as for the jump photo - oh come on, every skater has a jump photo like that used every now and again.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh come on guys, please let's not devolve into conspiracy theories on everything. I have no issue with them using Bompard - it was Riverdance's first successful outing and his first GP medal, what on earth is wrong with that? And as for the jump photo - oh come on, every skater has a jump photo like that used every now and again.

I guess I wasn't clear; what I meant was that every figure skater on earth does indeed have that photo. *None* of them look good mid jump, God bless 'em. So I would prefer to see the old outstretched arm Jason photo, but that's just a preference, not a dis on his, or anyone else's, mid jump scrunchies.:biggrin:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Au contraire, mon amie! I personally think it's great they featured him - there are so many other athletes Team USA could have chosen.

You have to admit, though, that he has a funny jump face in the picture, and his pants are even sillier looking. ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I guess I wasn't clear; what I meant was that every figure skater on earth does indeed have that photo. *None* of them look good mid jump, God bless 'em. So I would prefer to see the old outstretched arm Jason photo, but that's just a preference, not a dis on his, or anyone else's, mid jump scrunchies.:biggrin:

With the questioning emoticon, it looked like you were questioning why USFS used a mid-jump pic and a pic from Bompard.

Au contraire, mon amie! I personally think it's great they featured him - there are so many other athletes Team USA could have chosen.

You have to admit, though, that he has a funny jump face in the picture, and his pants are even sillier looking. ;)

Those pants :laugh2:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
With the questioning emoticon, it looked like you were questioning why USFS used a mid-jump pic and a pic from Bompard.

Just a nitpick. But it was the social media folks from the USOC (aka Team USA) not USFS that choose the picture. :biggrin:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's start the speculation now ... back to Chicago for Skate America!

Will Jason be assigned? We have two months to discuss:biggrin:

TMC

Record Breaker

I hope not! It's too close to Finlandia Trophy and I want him to come here :biggrin:

ETA: Just realised that he doesn't have 2 guaranteed spots, does he? In that case a host pick for SA would of course be great :)

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yes, I vote for Chicago!!!! Can't imagine that Jason wouldn't get an invite, but anything can happen I guess.