Jason Brown | Page 290 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

musicfan80

Medalist
I can't see Jason (and Gracie for the same reason) not getting selected for Skate America. Wouldn't the USFS LOVE the roar that the hometown crowd would give?

I think the real question is, who will get the other two spots - Adam, Max, or Nathan?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I can't see Jason (and Gracie for the same reason) not getting selected for Skate America. Wouldn't the USFS LOVE the roar that the hometown crowd would give?

I think the real question is, who will get the other two spots - Adam, Max, or Nathan?

Honestly, I don't see them stacking the field that much. Adam could get one spot as U.S. champ (ala Jeremy in '14). I see the third spot going to someone like Alexander Johnson, who doesn't have a guaranteed GP invite but did well at nationals.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I don't think Jason is getting invited to Skate America. He commented on it being selected right after it happened last year. The silence from him tells me he knows more than we do. If he thought he would be going... we would have seen an excited tweet by now.

Regardless of who does not get to go... i kinda feel sorry for USFSA, because someone is going to be upset.

Max should get it as reigning/last year's Skate America champ
Adam should get it, as reigning US Champ and highest at worlds
Jason should get it as he is local and can drive ticket sales up and did not get a chance to earn two spots, so the federation should support him on his comeback.
Nathan should get it as he was good enough to selected for worlds but did not get to go due to injury, he should get federation support to rebuild.
If Tomoki Hiwatashi goes senior, she should go as he is also local, and our only singles reigning world junior medalist.
Alexander Johnson deserves the host pick sport for being injured and fighting back - he fits the third spot spirit.

Sadly many of us could be very sad at GP selection time.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I don't think the fact that Jason hasnt tweeted about it means he won't get invited.

If it were being held anywhere else this year, I wouldnt be surprised if he werent invited: he's no longer national champ and he's been at SA for the past 3 years. But given his huge popularity and the number of Chicago-area fans he would likely draw, it would seem incredibly dumb of USFS not to invite him. Theoretically it's possible but it doesn't really make sense if they're trying to fill seats and build excitement for US figure skating and the next Olympics. Then again, thinking about the recent ice network debacle, maybe I'm wrong. :slink: But I think Chicago area fans (like me!) will be really upset if he's not there, and might even boycott the event. :devil:

I can't help but wonder, actually, if the TCC crowd's emotional reaction to Jason was a factor influencing the choice of the Chicago area for SA (there were also rumors about Detroit). Maybe they're finally starting to realize what they've got in him. On the other hand it could just be that Sam Auxier's from Chicago. I suppose they might think Gracie's enough of a draw...

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think the fact that Jason hasnt tweeted about it means he won't get invited.

If it were being held anywhere else this year, I wouldnt be surprised if he werent invited: he's no longer national champ and he's been at SA for the past 3 years. But given his huge popularity and the number of Chicago-area fans he would likely draw, it would seem incredibly dumb of USFS not to invite him. Theoretically it's possible but it doesn't really make sense if they're trying to fill seats and build excitement for US figure skating and the next Olympics. Then again, thinking about the recent ice network debacle, maybe I'm wrong. :slink: But I think Chicago area fans (like me!) will be really upset if he's not there, and might even boycott the event. :devil:

I can't help but wonder, actually, if the TCC crowd's emotional reaction to Jason was a factor influencing the choice of the Chicago area for SA (there were also rumors about Detroit). Maybe they're finally starting to realize what they've got in him. On the other hand it could just be that Sam Auxier's from Chicago. I suppose they might think Gracie's enough of a draw...

Have to believe Jason will be invited. I'm sure his "Team Brown" would come out in full force again. I had forgotten how much I was missing him 'til I saw him skate at TCC...I think one of Sam's goals was to get a few competitions in the Chicago area.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sadly many of us could be very sad at GP selection time.

Why would we be "very sad" about Jason? For my part, sure, it'd be nice if he got SkAm in his home town again and I'd rather him not go to NHK because of the guaranteed Hanyu-or-Uno victory there, but whatever two Grands Prix he gets is not going to bother me overmuch, nor will it bother me for Max.

I will be sad if Brendan doesn't manage to get one, I will be sad if my Queen does not get two, I will be sad if we are bereft of the Australian flag, I will be sad but unsurprised if Joshua is not yet well enough to get at least one. Being sad over Jason getting two seems pointless.

For that matter, much as I know they'd like it, I'd love to see neither Jason nor Max get Skate America. There are far too many people who happily trumpet about home scoring with these two, so it would be good to see them lay down some slaying scores elsewhere.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
@Karne: I can't speak for anyone else but since I live in Chicago I want Jason to compete at Skate America so I can go see him live. I will be more annoyed than sad if he's not there. Not very complicated, really. I could care less what anyone says about home cooking, because people will criticize what they want to criticize no matter what.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Why would we be "very sad" about Jason? For my part, sure, it'd be nice if he got SkAm in his home town again and I'd rather him not go to NHK because of the guaranteed Hanyu-or-Uno victory there, but whatever two Grands Prix he gets is not going to bother me overmuch, nor will it bother me for Max.

I will be sad if Brendan doesn't manage to get one, I will be sad if my Queen does not get two, I will be sad if we are bereft of the Australian flag, I will be sad but unsurprised if Joshua is not yet well enough to get at least one. Being sad over Jason getting two seems pointless.

For that matter, much as I know they'd like it, I'd love to see neither Jason nor Max get Skate America. There are far too many people who happily trumpet about home scoring with these two, so it would be good to see them lay down some slaying scores elsewhere.

No, not just for Jason, but sad for a lot of people that don't get assignments. It is getting tight in terms of assignments, so someone, is going to be upset for someone. I think everyone is going to have a favorite or two who we are sad about. For instance i will be sad as well if Brendan does not get one.
There are just a lot of worthy skaters.

Also if Jason gets any two GPs you are right i will be happy... but he is only guaranteed one.

... and I do like your angle on keeping them out of Skate America...plus other comps tend to be less competitive. I will be happy if Jason gets any two frankly.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jason will have two assignments, no sweat. He's high-ranked enough for it.

TMC

Record Breaker
Jason will have two assignments, no sweat. He's high-ranked enough for it.

Even without a host pick? Phew, that's a relief :)

I was just thinking to myself that if I were in charge of picking skaters for my GP, Jason would be such an obvious choice. Fan favourite putting bums on seats + not a huge threat to my own quad-jumping skaters = ideal choice.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Even without a host pick? Phew, that's a relief :)

I was just thinking to myself that if I were in charge of picking skaters for my GP, Jason would be such an obvious choice. Fan favourite putting bums on seats + not a huge threat to my own quad-jumping skaters = ideal choice.

I don't recall the exact numbers, but after they hand out the mandatory two to the top 12 from Worlds - Max, Adam and Grant will get two this way, and Adam as a seeded skater - they'll start going down the list, and Jason's still pretty high on it. Remember, he was still US #1 in the standings on January 1, and he's pretty high up the season's best list.

Here we go, found some numbers.

Jason is at SB21 - but nine of the skaters above him were top 12 at Worlds (Hanyu, Fernandez, Chan, Jin, Uno, Ten, Kolyada, Rippon, Aaron). That moves him up to 12th on that list. Amodio is also above Jason and is now retired. So that puts Jason at SB11 of the skaters who are not guaranteed two. Above him are Yan, Mura, Murakami, Pitkeev, Miner, Dmitriev, Voronov, Bychenko, Balde and Kovtun.

Here, though, is the kicker. Jason is still 7th on the World Standings list! And four of the skaters ahead of him are already in that top 12. (The others are Voronov and Kovtun.) He is 29th on the Season Ranking list (just above Brendan at 30th!) but that won't matter. When push comes to shove and the assignments are handed out, he will get two. Of that, I have no doubt whatsoever.

The host pick at Skate America can be saved for Joshua if he is well enough to take it, assuming he does not use his "comeback skater" provision that would guarantee him two.

For further FYI, last year Brendan picked up Skate America at SB58. This year he is SB49. Adam is 10th and Max 11th on the World Standings list. After them, it's a long way down to Dornbush and Miner at 29th and 30th. Hochstein is at 33rd and Chen is at 37th. And Brendan is WS40 :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Jason is only guaranteed one spot. I am not going to expect more than that one guaranteed one spot until it actually happens. We can go round and round with guessing all we want, but the reality is we have no idea what will actually happen. The evidence may point to it being likely, but that is not a guarantee.

I hope he gets two spots... i really do. But I am not going to get hopes up and expect it now. The one thing I am confident about is that TPTB don't always do things that make sense.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow, did I hit Jason Brown's fan funeral? :laugh:

FWIW, I did look at the last two seasons and everyone in the top 24 SB (and even a few others just outside of it) got 2 events.

jacque

Rinkside
hi alright averyone cheer up this is the Jason brown fan fest thread here hes one of the best aand soon he will be the best you will see just givr it time. he be better than all the rest just wait and see. some people like too take it slow and easy and pull out too the front behind too take the lead leaving the others trailing behind like a dark horse. oh wait a mininte I'm getting carried away.i think I'm talking about the wrong sport here. I am such ahuge fan of many sports . I think we will see Jason skate more next season he has ahuge fan bace

musicfan80

Medalist
Nah, jacque - it's a great analogy, especially considering that the Kentucky Derby is tomorrow. Maybe after so many years of waiting for another Triple Crown winner, we will have two in a row. :biggrin:

jacque

Rinkside
optimism rules. I cant help but be optimistic for Jason. I love all the skaters but jasons my favorite and I really believe in him.

adelia

Record Breaker
I'm quite confident that Jason will get 2 GPs, there's not much need to worry. He's still very important to US figure skating.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Cathlen on the GPF speculation thread points out that with guaranteed spots locked up, there's still 36 spots up for grabs.

Also even with the updated rankings, Jason only dropped to 12th, so there's that too.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Cathlen on the GPF speculation thread points out that with guaranteed spots locked up, there's still 36 spots up for grabs.

Also even with the updated rankings, Jason only dropped to 12th, so there's that too.

Well that is much a much better than things are looking for ice dancing at least.