JGP 2023-24 season announced | Page 3 | Golden Skate

JGP 2023-24 season announced

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree with Mexico. North America has 3 countries.... already with the challengers series, Mexico is forgotten... at least they could entice them to host a JGP.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Mexico actually had a JGP... ages ago? Maybe Donovan saw this when he was a kid. But I don't why that changed.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Mexico actually had a JGP... ages ago? Maybe Donovan saw this when he was a kid. But I don't why that changed.
Yes in 2008, so 14 years ago.
I've seen many mexican skaters in JGPs for the past years. Some actually training in Mexico. My recent favourite being Regina Garcia de Leon Saab. Even if she wasn't better this year (i blame her major growth spurt).
A JGP would help the growth of the sport there. More kids can be interested.

Edit: actually they had another one in 2013.

Andrea82

Medalist
Mexico has attempted to organize an international B competition for some years, without much success in attracting international skaters.
However, frankly, it was always bizarrely scheduled. For three years, it was on the same week of US Classic or Autumn Classic. Given that there are so few North American international event (below GP level), trying to launch a new one on the same week of those already present doesn't sound so wise.
This season, they have scheduled for mid-May.

I am not sure why they don't try for October or November. Second and third tier European starters have lots of B events they can attend in the Fall without changing 10 time zones. North American based skaters always need to fly to Europe if they need minimum TES at the last minute. I think there is room for an international B event scheduled not in August or September!

Last edited: