JGP 2023-24 season announced | Page 2 | Golden Skate

JGP 2023-24 season announced

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The Baltics are definitely not Western European countries.
As a European, I would say pretty much all the ex-Soviet countries (including the Baltics) are considered Eastern Europe, Austria is Central Europe, Finland and Sweden are Northern Europe.
Fellow Europeans, please speak up if you feel otherwise.
As a Canadian, that's how we were taught geography as well. My point was not about a geography class anyways...To me, it's a question of representation and diversity. If the ISU wants to develop interest in junior skating and bring these fans to follow skaters from junior to senior ... they need to show these talents all across the globe. Seeing a map of where the events will be located, one would think that there is no interest for junior skating in North America... I mean, not more than there is in Africa or Antarctica :)

Personal story, I saw Edrian Celestino skate very well as a junior at Autumn Classic one year that they had a junior event... and I noticed him... Edrian now skates for the Philippines. I am still interested in him because of seeing him live. If I had not, I doubt I would even know about him... because he hasn't had the tools to get to the GP events etc... he is a delightful skater to watch with nice skating skills and flair.

I am sure many could share similar experience... it's not the same thing as watching a skater on youtube... at least, it isn't for me... and anyways, as all these events are in unfriendly time zones... they are not really available "live".. I watch the archives... but it's not the same as a live competition...

Lack of proximity is not helpful to develop the interest for junior skating..
Also, skating at home and often in front of family, is something many young athletes have referred to as a source of motivation but also as a confidence builder. It's unfortunate that many talented junior skaters will not be able to experience this.

All I am saying is that it wouldn't be such a bad thing to have a North American JGP every year... why not?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
As a Canadian, that's how we were taught geography as well. My point was not about a geography class anyways...To me, it's a question of representation and diversity. If the ISU wants to develop interest in junior skating and bring these fans to follow skaters from junior to senior ... they need to show these talents all across the globe. Seeing a map of where the events will be located, one would think that there is no interest for junior skating in North America... I mean, not more than there is in Africa or Antarctica :)

Personal story, I saw Edrian Celestino skate very well as a junior at Autumn Classic one year that they had a junior event... and I noticed him... Edrian now skates for the Philippines. I am still interested in him because of seeing him live. If I had not, I doubt I would even know about him... because he hasn't had the tools to get to the GP events etc... he is a delightful skater to watch with nice skating skills and flair.

I am sure many could share similar experience... it's not the same thing as watching a skater on youtube... at least, it isn't for me... and anyways, as all these events are in unfriendly time zones... they are not really available "live".. I watch the archives... but it's not the same as a live competition...

Lack of proximity is not helpful to develop the interest for junior skating..
Also, skating at home and often in front of family, is something many young athletes have referred to as a source of motivation but also as a confidence builder. It's unfortunate that many talented junior skaters will not be able to experience this.

All I am saying is that it wouldn't be such a bad thing to have a North American JGP every year... why not?
Because North America isn’t applying to host junior events maybe? Have you seen any information for like Skate Canada asking for a junior event and being turned down? I think Canada just wants hockey even with its less than stellar character of junior athletes as the latest scandal demonstrates.

And, Canada is getting the biggest junior event this year, the JWC, so Canadian Juniors will be skating before the home crowd.

And, like, Western Europe is not in your time zone either and I doubt it is easier to travel to than Eastern Europe (whatever classification you use). Finland and UK GP stages have staggering costs to go from Canada. Vegas in a normal year is a far better deal than Toronto for me, b/c of the cost of Canadian flights and this year’s Skate America is tucked into a location that is not accessible by public transit, so it makes it a non-starter. Europeans in Austria were held in a location that was totally out of the way and didn’t really help out-of-towners.

However, depending on the plane tickets, some of the Eastern European destinations may be pretty attractive prices wise. I dunno, before the war, I planned to be doing a lot more junior travel than senior and it didn’t bother me where event is held per se, what I looked at was convenience and attraction of the city.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Because North America isn’t applying to host junior events maybe? Have you seen any information for like Skate Canada asking for a junior event and being turned down? I think Canada just wants hockey even with its less than stellar character of junior athletes as the latest scandal demonstrates.

And, Canada is getting the biggest junior event this year, the JWC, so Canadian Juniors will be skating before the home crowd.

And, like, Western Europe is not in your time zone either and I doubt it is easier to travel to than Eastern Europe (whatever classification you use). Finland and UK GP stages have staggering costs to go from Canada. Vegas in a normal year is a far better deal than Toronto for me, b/c of the cost of Canadian flights and this year’s Skate America is tucked into a location that is not accessible by public transit, so it makes it a non-starter. Europeans in Austria were held in a location that was totally out of the way and didn’t really help out-of-towners.

However, depending on the plane tickets, some of the Eastern European destinations may be pretty attractive prices wise. I dunno, before the war, I planned to be doing a lot more junior travel than senior and it didn’t bother me where event is held per se, what I looked at was convenience and attraction of the city.
you and I are not talking the same language. :scratch2:

I am not saying the ISU needs to cater to the needs of the fans who actually WOULD travel... I am talking about these unborn fans of the sport... those who don't know much about juniors and/or skating in general... By not presenting events in North America or even Western Europe, they are not addressing the problem of the dying fan base... I believe there is an urgent need to make sure that the sport doesn't get into even more of a niche sport than ever... and I believe that interest in junior skating comes from seeing it live... Once that is available, maybe new fans will be interested in following the streams or traveling... I am not expecting someone who has never watched junior skating to go to a JGP event outside of their country... only dedicated fans would do that... so I am not sure why you are mentioning traveling... you obviously are a dedicated fan and location doesn't matter to you much. But the ISU doesn't need to convince you...

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
you are I are not talking the same language. :scratch2:

I am not saying the ISU needs to cater to the needs of the fans who actually WOULD travel... I am talking about these unborn fans of the sport... those who don't know much about juniors and/or skating in general... By not presenting events in North America or even Western Europe, they are not addressing the problem of the dying fan base... I believe there is an urgent need to make sure that the sport doesn't get into even more of a niche sport than ever... and I believe that interest in junior skating comes from seeing it live... Once that is available, maybe new fans will be interested in following the streams or traveling... I am not expecting someone who has never watch junior skating to go to a JGP event outside of their country... only dedicated fans would do that... so I am not sure why you are mentioning traveling... you obviously are a dedicated fan and location doesn't matter to you much. But the ISU doesn't need to convince you...

Well with the last 2 seasons impacted by covid, they really try to spread it out more next season. It's a start.
And Western Europe had the French JGPs for example. And other cities only do it every other year so you can't say "well it would be your turn again this year, but could you spread it to three pehaps cause we would like to ... "

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
you are I are not talking the same language. :scratch2:

I am not saying the ISU needs to cater to the needs of the fans who actually WOULD travel... I am talking about these unborn fans of the sport... those who don't know much about juniors and/or skating in general... By not presenting events in North America or even Western Europe, they are not addressing the problem of the dying fan base... I believe there is an urgent need to make sure that the sport doesn't get into even more of a niche sport than ever... and I believe that interest in junior skating comes from seeing it live... Once that is available, maybe new fans will be interested in following the streams or traveling... I am not expecting someone who has never watch junior skating to go to a JGP event outside of their country... only dedicated fans would do that... so I am not sure why you are mentioning traveling... you obviously are a dedicated fan and location doesn't matter to you much. But the ISU doesn't need to convince you...
And so they do! 2 JGPs were in France, JWC is in Canada and JGPF is in Italy. The JGP was supposed to be in Canada but was cancelled. Those countries who want competitions get them, as far as I can tell. So, chances are neither US nor Canada are applying.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well with the last 2 seasons impacted by covid, they really try to spread it out more next season. It's a start.
And Western Europe had the French JGPs for example. And other cities only do it every other year so you can't say "well it would be your turn again this year, but could you spread it to three pehaps cause we would like to ... "
this is a recurring issue... there is 1 challenger in NA... and 0 JGP... happens too often while there are tons in Europe.. Just the reality.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
And so they do! 2 JGPs were in France, JWC is in Canada and JGPF is in Italy. The JGP was supposed to be in Canada but was cancelled. Those countries who want competitions get them, as far as I can tell. So, chances are neither US nor Canada are applying.
if I were the ISU president, I would advise big federations the importance to lead the path in terms of offering to host events... When they are no longer interested in hosting JGPS, it's not a good sign and this needs to be addressed.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
results just say that those countries do not host a competition. But we don't exactely know why, do we?
we know that the ISU didn't manage to entice them to host them...

and we know that the challenger series is also unevenly spread out.

not sure what else is needed to understand the situation.

yesterday

Record Breaker
we know that the ISU didn't manage to entice them to host them...

and we know that the challenger series is also unevenly spread out.

not sure what else is needed to understand the situation.

If countries say "no, we don't host cause we don't want to pay"?
Or like those wo agree to host bi-annually, you can't suddenly say they should host every season?
I'm sure negotiation for a niche sport is not easy.
I won't say ISU is perfect and does everything possible, but it takes two.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If countries say "no, we don't host cause we don't want to pay"?
Or like those wo agree to host bi-annually, you can't suddenly say they should host every season?
I'm sure negotiation for a niche sport is not easy.
I won't say ISU is perfect and does everything possible, but it takes two.
there are ways to make things happen, especially when what I am suggesting is not a huge change.... enough said... moving on...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
you and I are not talking the same language. :scratch2:

I am not saying the ISU needs to cater to the needs of the fans who actually WOULD travel... I am talking about these unborn fans of the sport... those who don't know much about juniors and/or skating in general... By not presenting events in North America or even Western Europe, they are not addressing the problem of the dying fan base... I believe there is an urgent need to make sure that the sport doesn't get into even more of a niche sport than ever... and I believe that interest in junior skating comes from seeing it live... Once that is available, maybe new fans will be interested in following the streams or traveling... I am not expecting someone who has never watched junior skating to go to a JGP event outside of their country... only dedicated fans would do that... so I am not sure why you are mentioning traveling... you obviously are a dedicated fan and location doesn't matter to you much. But the ISU doesn't need to convince you...
Well another problem is no one attends JGP events even if they are held here.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well another problem is no one attends JGP events even if they are held here.
Considering the half empty rinks we saw this season.. this is a wide spread problem... but still... there is simple work that could be done if events were to be presented in big north american cities... For instance, at Autumn Classic, they would bring young skaters from the local clubs.... i think they could simply organize this for junior events and inspire the younger skaters to reach further. There are options and solutions IF the ISU wants to work with the Federations to build juniors.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Glad that Japan got a JGP. Yokohama looked like senior GP because the arena was full (which is rare for JGPs). I expect the same for Osaka.
Also glad that Thailand and Turkey's skaters will feel the support of home crowd. I expect a near full arena in Turkey too because FS is growing there but intl events are rare.
I would have also liked a JGP in Mexico.