Joannie Rochette | Golden Skate

Joannie Rochette

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am so proud of Joannie for doing so well in he qualifying round - 1st place!! I am cheering for her already! Go Joannie!

:bow:

Frau Muller

Final Flight
I'm thrilled for Joannie, too!!!! I loved her LP the best, at Olympics, although I agreed with Shizuka's win. Joannie's was the prettiest single program, skated with the most joy. How had we overlooked her in the months going into Olympics? Well, she is on the cusp of greatness now. She is a beautiful skater and would truly deserve her win, if she succeeds. She sort of makes me think back to the bubbly blonde beauty of Roz Sumners in 1983. :rock:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Those who follow Joannie pretty regularly, how does she handle the pressure of being in the lead? I thought she did a great job at Nats. last year when all the hype was on Cynthia (or was that the year before???) and she made me a fan during the Olympics. I don't know too much about her, and I would love to learn more!

Go for Gold Joannie!!! :rock:

antmanb

Record Breaker
MKFSfan said:
Those who follow Joannie pretty regularly, how does she handle the pressure of being in the lead? I thought she did a great job at Nats. last year when all the hype was on Cynthia (or was that the year before???) and she made me a fan during the Olympics. I don't know too much about her, and I would love to learn more!

I can't remember her placement after the SP last year but she had a meltdown in the LP despite not being within shooting distance of a medal. The meltdown seemed to come from nowhere so i don't know if it was just an uncharacteristcally bad skate or whether other factors were involved. I love her skating though and would love her to pull off the surpise of these worlds!

Ant

Saundy

On the Ice
I am SO happy right now...but nervous also.
It's only the qualifying and there's still a long road ahead yet.
I'm keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed for her though. She's a beautiful skater and this Canadian women's drought has gone on WAY too long. She CAN do it, so I hope we see that.

GO JOANNIE!!! :clap:

Saundy

On the Ice
MKFSfan said:

She normally does pretty good under pressure with the exception of a few times. She certianly doesn't "melt down" as we see with Emanuel. She fights to the very end.

rain

Record Breaker
I am so thrilled for Rochette - to be in the lead after qualifying, which she actually won quite convincingly (the factoring of the scores, of course, means it will be very close going into the short). I'm just hoping this totally unexpected lead doesn't do her in mentally.

MKFSfan

Medalist
antmanb said:
I can't remember her placement after the SP last year but she had a meltdown in the LP despite not being within shooting distance of a medal. The meltdown seemed to come from nowhere so i don't know if it was just an uncharacteristcally bad skate or whether other factors were involved. I love her skating though and would love her to pull off the surpise of these worlds!

Ant

I thought that "meltdown" was speculated to be the result of a really good showing at Canadian Nats? I can imagine that the pressure would be pretty enormous trying to follow up Candian Nats. and what with the Olympics coming and all. I think if she could skate as well as she did at Olympics (getting the 2nd highest TES mark, robbed in the PCS), that's gotta bode well for her confidence! I hope skating at "home" doesn't affect her too much and she can skate her best and win that title! :clap:

Mafke

Medalist
Frau Muller said:
She sort of makes me think back to the bubbly blonde beauty of Roz Sumners in 1983. :rock:

Me too, and Chin, Manley and even Poetzsch at her best (which you above all should appreciate). But I like retro-skaters (there's nothing sadder than a figure skater trying to be trendy).

antmanb

Record Breaker
MKFSfan said:
I thought that "meltdown" was speculated to be the result of a really good showing at Canadian Nats? I can imagine that the pressure would be pretty enormous trying to follow up Candian Nats. and what with the Olympics coming and all. I think if she could skate as well as she did at Olympics (getting the 2nd highest TES mark, robbed in the PCS), that's gotta bode well for her confidence! I hope skating at "home" doesn't affect her too much and she can skate her best and win that title! :clap:

Oh ok that would do it then! I'm hoping for her to pull it off...to be fair i think she would probably reach her goals by just medalling this year and a silver or gold would be the icing on the cake! I love her skating too!

Ant

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Calgary, 1972: Karen Magnussen wins World Silver for Canada.

Calgary, 1988: Elizabeth Manley wins Olympic Silver for Canada.

Calgary, 2006: See where I'm going here? I'm hoping this is as lucky a city for the Canadian ladies as I think it is. GO JOANNIE!!

dugyiho

Rinkside
antmanb said:
Oh ok that would do it then! I'm hoping for her to pull it off...to be fair i think she would probably reach her goals by just medalling this year and a silver or gold would be the icing on the cake! I love her skating too!

Ant

I would be thrilled if she won gold, but would not be disappointed if she just medals.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think she'll win a medal. Whether it's GOLD or not remains to be determined.

ETA 3/25: to add I think she's still in the hunt, but gold is out of the picture now, IMO

Last edited: