Joubert's PCS scores, ridiculously inflated, French politics in works again!!!! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Joubert's PCS scores, ridiculously inflated, French politics in works again!!!!

Brian broods a lot - not unlike Hamlet. I thing that gives something to his rugged good looks. I can see him in films with Jeanne Moreau taking him under her wing.

However, for the time being, I await to see his skating skills.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
There is always some home front advantage, but I really think that Joubert´s SP scores were about deserved. He put out a truely wonderful short programme, in my opinion. As a possible Olympic champion, I think that his looks will definetely not be a hindrance for world success, LOL. The same applied to Urmanov and Kulik, too. On the other hand lots of "skating fans" seem to lose their eyesight and judgment, if somebody wins titles. Several skaters automatically become hot and good-looking, although actually they still continue being very ordinary looking.

Last edited:

Linny

Final Flight
Inflated scores

Not surprised that the scores are inflated - they need to keep up with the inflated scores at the USA Nationals.

A note of confusion: ISU site says Joubert got a level 4 on his spin whil Lambiel got level 3's on all his non-jump elements.

Is that correct? How in the world does that happen?

Linny

Linny said:
A note of confusion: ISU site says Joubert got a level 4 on his spin whil Lambiel got level 3's on all his non-jump elements.

Is that correct? How in the world does that happen?

Linny
I can understand Lambiel having a bad day but I'll have to see Brian with a Level 4 spin. Probably a sitspin combo which who doesn't have this?

Joe

About level 4 spins, remember that this does not mean that he spun well. A level 4 spin can be slow, travel all over the place -- the skater can even fall down -- and it's still a level four if he changes edges and positions enough times.

Lambiel has been quoted as saying that he would rather concentrate on the quality of the spin than on the level as defined by the NJS rules.

About "French politics," Joubert is kind of a funny case. His mentor within the French Federation, Didier Gailhauget, is on the outside looking in, and it is not clear how much influence he maintains. The federation has played ping-pong with Joubert, sometimes supporting him, sometimes throwing him to the wolves.

BTW, there was a funny piece in the papers the other day in which Marie-Reine Le Gougne claimed that the New Judging System was an "homage" to her, since if she hadn't courageously brought world attention to the scandlous judging procedures at Salt Lake City, the ISU would not have felt obliged to implement the CoP. Vive la France! :laugh:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
And somewhere Osama Bin Laden thinks Homeland Security is an homage to him.

Kasey

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
Joubert's PCS scores were disgusting. Outrageously inflated, bogus, way way too high. There is no way in he%l he should get higher PCS scores in any category, except maybe skating skills than Lambiel or Buttle for example. Obviously the French federation has pulled off some of their dealmaking again to get Joubert a medal in Turin and it is disgusting!

Just curious, but are you watching the event? Perhaps Brian has made significant changes and improvements that would equate to higher PCS marks. Besides, it is not the first time someone's PCS has been overly inflated, and it won't be the last.

Vash01

Medalist
At the recent US nationals some of the top US had very inflated scores. Feds do that to publicize their top skaters in the most positive light. This was not a national, but it was in France, and crowd noise does something to the judges' perception. It was understood in 6.0 and it needs to be understood in the COP, for the PCS scores. I have not seen Joubert's performance, so I don't even know if they were inflated or not. However, if they were, there are other explanations for it (rather than the French misbehaving).

Vash

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I would hope judges would be strong and mature enough to block out crowds when giving out their scores. Then again I have never been in that position to try and do that, so I might not have a full appreciation how difficult it is.
I would hope that is a viable explanation as opposed to dealmaking, since that would ensure Joubert will not get the same inflated scores in Turin no matter what the French fed. wants to try and pull off.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Is Brian J. good or bad? :p
I'm not sure if the answer is "No one knows" or "Both." Gailgauget's protege and defender and Peizerat's pet. Dating Miss France and living with mom and dad and nice to baby sister.

I think maybe the real answer is "He's French, so none of the rules apply."

Shanti

On the Ice
Zanzibar said:
Note the drop in publicity that Plushenko has experienced since getting married ...

Completely OT: do you mean in the US? In Russia? Anywhere else?
I'm not challenging, just asking.
I can't speak about the rest of the World but I certainly haven't noticed any drop of popularity and publicity in Russia ;) Quite the opposite, I would say.
Though it always makes me LOL when I read in the media something like "Plushenko is back stronger, after having overcome bad ending of the last season, severe injury and marriage" :rofl:

Bck to the topic: I don't find Joubert's PCS inflated (especially in the SP, the LP was less remarkable IMHO).

Speaking of "French politics," I wonder why the French figure skating federation has such a solid reputation for making the shrewdest political deals. Are they smarter than the rest of us?

A few years ago, Zhulin made a statement that the Americans do not know how to play the game. Apparently game-playing is big in figure skating.

Joe

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Sorry, Zanzibar, but your 'sex bomb' barely eeked out a bronze medal in Lyon. He'll be lucky to make top five in Turin, I fear.

sussweden

Rinkside
"but I really think that Joubert´s SP scores were about deserved. He put out a truely wonderful short programme, in my opinion."

I just have to agree. Seeing the comp live and on tv is two very different things I discovered. I was impressed by Brian and not Lambiel that much and the opposite last year wathing tv insted of live like this year.

/Lena

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Shanti said:
Completely OT: do you mean in the US? In Russia? Anywhere else?
I'm not challenging, just asking.
I can't speak about the rest of the World but I certainly haven't noticed any drop of popularity and publicity in Russia ;) Quite the opposite, I would say.

I don't live in Russia, so can only comment on what other skaters/agents say regarding his popularity in Russia and the huge amount of attention - tv shows, awards, producing his own ice shows, fashion model, etc., etc., that Yagudin has been receiving since returning to Russia. Seems there would be a limited amount of PR to 'spread around' to top male skaters. Also going off what his agent's concerns were - that his popularity would diminish.

In the US Plush has never been that popular. Most people simply don't know who he is - he's just 'another Russian skater' to them. Even to get him on the cover of IFS last year was a laborious process, and I'm not saying it's fair, but apparently his covers often just don't sell well over here whereas a Yagudin (or US lady) cover will sell out.

Personally, I really like the guy off-ice and on the ice - but he never seems to have 'caught on' in the US outside of diehard skating fans. That could change after Torino - but for example - things like, 'People Magazine Top 50 Bachelor' issues that Yagudin was included on (and things of that type) will not be offered to a man that is married. Could be wrong, but I think it's a logical conclusion.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:
Sorry, Zanzibar, but your 'sex bomb' barely eeked out a bronze medal in Lyon. He'll be lucky to make top five in Turin, I fear.

Non-Non!! All of my politiking and backroom dealing can't be for naught, LOL!!!
Monsieur Joubert WILL ascend the Torino podium - I still have zee faith.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Joesitz said:
Brian broods a lot - not unlike Hamlet. I thing that gives something to his rugged good looks. I can see him in films with Jeanne Moreau taking him under her wing.
Joe

(*snort*, *guffaw*)...And here's to vous, Madame Robinson...

Shanti

On the Ice
Zanzibar, thanks a lot for your reply - it's certainly very interesting :yes:
I'm not arguing, just telling what I observe

As to Yagudin, I haven't read anything about him since October but indeed, he was everywhere when he came to Russia.

As to Plushenko, he's everywhere all the time (MTV, fashion shows, social events - just now he seems to appear there with his wife) . Even his marriage looked like a PR event. His wedding pics were on the cover of basically every newspaper. Not to say I was :laugh: :scratch: :rolleye: and :eek: (all at the same time) when saw OFFICIAL pictures of Plushenko with his wife that were sold during CoR at the event venue.

And actually I never thought he was popular or known in the US.

Zanzibar said:
Non-Non!! All of my politiking and backroom dealing can't be for naught, LOL!!!
Monsieur Joubert WILL ascend the Torino podium - I still have zee faith.

Does the O's podium have enough room for all your favourites? ;) :biggrin: :laugh: