Joubert's PCS scores, ridiculously inflated, French politics in works again!!!! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Joubert's PCS scores, ridiculously inflated, French politics in works again!!!!

Veronique Guyon's (Brian's former coach) weighs in (as quoted in a Blades on Ice article by Alexandra Stevenson):

Explaining why she "threw in the towel,"

"(Brian) is so gifted, but I am not a masocist. He is a very macho skater and I could not get him to understand that being artistic does not mean he will be judged to be effeminate. To interpret the music doesn't mean that people will assume wrongly that he's gay. And trying to get him to work on spins was a waste of time."

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Hey MM - thanks for the quote but those words certainly can't be seen as accurate now. Brian's work with Lucinda Ruh on his spins CLEARLY paid off - huge improvement on them from last season in terms of speed, position, and change of position/edge IMHO.

Privet Shanti!! Well, that's good news to hear that Plush still maintains his popularity in Russia - of course then again - I'm never hearing his side of things, LOL. Who knows - maybe we'll have a "Battle for the most PR" soon....although if Evgeni wins the Olympics I'd think he'd become real popular, real quick.

Yes, yes - a shame that podium is so small...but I can forecast a good night's sleep February 16th if Brian, Plush and Johnny (in any order) are standing around with medals around their necks (or at the bottom of their beer). (p.s. Like your pic of Evgeni/Maya)

Here's the thing with skaters - you can't help but have personal favorites and I can defend that to some level because essentially in the practices these guys are SO equal. All anyone has to do is see a Rohene Ward practice to think that Plush is a klutz...until you see Rohene compete at a Nationals level - and lose his composure - to realize that being a warrior is what separates the losers from the winners because it sure isn't a lack of talent - its survival instinct.

So that being the case - that these guys are really at a much more level playing field than we see played out on competition ice - then you start to play favorites based on a number of criteria. Brian is this very down to earth, polite, considerate guy who you just can't help but root for because he's such a good person - so non-manipulative. Rare. He has an immense likeability factor - not unlike what Kwan possesses.

Last edited:
Zanzibar said:
In the US Plush has never been that popular. Most people simply don't know who he is - he's just 'another Russian skater' to them. Even to get him on the cover of IFS last year was a laborious process, and I'm not saying it's fair, but apparently his covers often just don't sell well over here whereas a Yagudin (or US lady) cover will sell out.
Could be the same reason Evan Lysacek is not that popular in Russia. It's country pride, imo.

Plush is quite popular in Golden Skate posts especially with his marriage. Lots of posts here on that. I think the Russophiles living in America demand that the Americans begin to adore their heros. Can we get the Russians to adore Kwan. I think not.

Joe

Shanti

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Could be the same reason Evan Lysacek is not that popular in Russia. It's country pride, imo.

Not that popular? :rofl: Sorry, that's an understatement. I don't mean to offend anyone, but he's COMPLETELY unknown. I bet even people who watch skating (apart from vehement fans, of course) won't tell you he's a skater.
As to foreign skaters who are popular in Russia, Lambiel has quite many fans and Johnny too.

Plush is quite popular in Golden Skate posts especially with his marriage. Lots of posts here on that. I think the Russophiles living in America demand that the Americans begin to adore their heros. Can we get the Russians to adore Kwan. I think not.

Russians to adore Kwan? Sorry, highly improbable. Cohen? Much more likely.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Zanzibar said:
I don't live in Russia, so can only comment on what other skaters/agents say regarding his popularity in Russia and the huge amount of attention - tv shows, awards, producing his own ice shows, fashion model, etc., etc., that Yagudin has been receiving since returning to Russia. Seems there would be a limited amount of PR to 'spread around' to top male skaters. Also going off what his agent's concerns were - that his popularity would diminish.

In the US Plush has never been that popular. Most people simply don't know who he is - he's just 'another Russian skater' to them. Even to get him on the cover of IFS last year was a laborious process, and I'm not saying it's fair, but apparently his covers often just don't sell well over here whereas a Yagudin (or US lady) cover will sell out.

Personally, I really like the guy off-ice and on the ice - but he never seems to have 'caught on' in the US outside of diehard skating fans. That could change after Torino - but for example - things like, 'People Magazine Top 50 Bachelor' issues that Yagudin was included on (and things of that type) will not be offered to a man that is married. Could be wrong, but I think it's a logical conclusion.

I think i have a theory about Pluschenko's lack of popularity generally compard to Yags. Robin cousins hit on it slightly in his commentary during Europeans. Pluschenko skates with an arrogance - he gets on the ice and looks arrogant, he doesn't smile very often on the ice and just seems to go out there and "do his job". Yags showed emotion, he laughed , he cried. As a viewer however unture it may be you feel like you get to know him. TT was the same - over emotional in every way, showing a very human side. Both Mischin and Pluschenko keep their heads down and do their job and both seem arrogant.

One thing that annoyed me in the beginning was Plushy was that arrogant when he was 15 years old. Robin cousins rightly noted - he has no right to behave that way at the beginning but now he has every right.

Ultimately on the ice Pluschenko comes across as very arrogant and dare i say it has quite a mean looking face - when he puts his game face on its agressive, arroagnt and mean. I'm always amazed at the transformation when he's interviewed back stage by Eurosport. His face softens, he smiles and he's a really sweet guy, sometimes some thigns he says are a bit lost in translation but generally he doesn't bad mouth competitors. He does what he has to to get himself to compete at his best - and there's no denying he does that.

Ant

Shanti said:
Not that popular? :rofl: Sorry, that's an understatement. I don't mean to offend anyone, but he's COMPLETELY unknown. I bet even people who watch skating (apart from vehement fans, of course) won't tell you he's a skater.
As to foreign skaters who are popular in Russia, Lambiel has quite many fans and Johnny too.
Doesn't matter. Why should Americans except the Russophiles go ga ga over Plushenko? Figure Skating is not as popular a sport in the US.

But do Russians in Russia like Lambiel and Weir better than Plushenko? I think not. In America, Slutskaya, Plushenko, etc., have a big fan base and they prefer Russian skaters to any other skater in the universe.

Russians to adore Kwan? Sorry, highly improbable.
We noticed!

Joe