Judging Panel Information? | Golden Skate

Judging Panel Information?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
In a one or more different threads, there has been mention of which countries are represented on a couple of different judging panels. (i.e. the Tonino judges in the Politics thread)

MM, Hockeyfan, or anyone else, where are you guys finding this info? I know the Torino link was through the ISU site, but I haven't been able to find a similar list for the GP events, which is what I'm looking for. I'm just curious :) So...if anyone can help....

Many thanks!

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
click on Entries/Results under each event, then Starting Order/Results, then Panel of Judges (middle column).

MM :)

DUH!! Talk about not being able to find something that is right under my nose......

Thanks!! :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
OK. So for COC, (ladies was the event I looked at) there are 10 sets of scores on the score sheet, and 10 judges listed on the results page.

I've been trying to pick through the ISU documents to figure out current info on how many judges they have for these events, and based on that number, how many judges scores count. The most concise sounding document is this one, which is a summary:

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/page/custom/0,8510,4844-152094-169310-31825-132302-custom-item,00.html

It's "dated" for the 2004/2005 season, but I have not been able to locate a similar one that says it's specifically for 2005/2006. So not sure if anything has changed.

The summary doc in the link above says that for ISU competitions, there will be 12 judges, and 9 scores will actually count. Then of course out goes the high, and the low score among those 9 and the trimmed mean...etc.

So I'm trying to figure out why there are 10 judges scores listed on the score sheets from COC.

Can anyone who knows the ISU rules a whole lot better than I do shed any light on this?

Thanks,
DG

As far as I know, that's the latest. In an expanded version of that document it spells out that these are the rules for the "major" ISU championships, which are the Olympics, Worlds, GP Final, Euros and Four Continents.

As I recall there was some talk of having a 14 judge panel for the Olympics, throw out 3, then throw out 2 highs and 2 lows. But I see that the panels for the Torino Olympics list 12 judges for each discipline.

For regular Grand Prix events there are 10 judges, 3 are eliminated in the random draw, 1 high and 1 low are thrown out, leaving 5 actual scores.

If you check the total PCS for GP events (before factoring) you will see that they all end in perfect 10ths (.10, .20, etc.) This is because the totals are divided by 5.

If you compare with worlds, you will see numbers like .14, .28 (1/7, 2/7), etc., as well as decimals that represent 28ths (sevenths of .25).

In other events they use different variations on the theme. For cheesefests, for instance, they have five judges and they all count. (Except the upcoming Marshall's, where they are going with a panel of 25,000,000 judges, each of whom can vote as many times as they want.) :)

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
As far as I know, that's the latest. In an expanded version of that document it spells out that these are the rules for the "major" ISU championships, which are the Olympics, Worlds, GP Final, Euros and Four Continents.

As I recall there was some talk of having a 14 judge panel for the Olympics, throw out 3, then throw out 2 highs and 2 lows. But I see that the panels for the Torino Olympics list 12 judges for each discipline.

For regular Grand Prix events there are 10 judges, 3 are eliminated in the random draw, 1 high and 1 low are thrown out, leaving 5 actual scores.

If you check the total PCS for GP events (before factoring) you will see that they all end in perfect 10ths (.10, .20, etc.) This is because the totals are divided by 5.

If you compare with worlds, you will see numbers like .14, .28 (1/7, 2/7), etc., as well as decimals that represent 28ths (sevenths of .25).

In other events they use different variations on the theme. For cheesefests, for instance, they have five judges and they all count. (Except the upcoming Marshall's, where they are going with a panel of 25,000,000 judges, each of whom can vote as many times as they want.) :)

Thanks!! I just dug my way through the whole official rules document and it's starting to make sense. The max number of judges is 12. The minimum number of judges to "form the result" appears to be 7. So the 10 judge panel for the GP events makes sense - 10 minus three that are randomly tossed leaving the minimum of 7, and then toss the high and low ending up with 5 scores counting.

It sounds to me like the host countries have some leeway in how many judges they put on the panel so long as they end up with 7 judges "forming the result." It's interesting that it doesn't sound like there is a minimum number of judges to start with. i.e. if a host country had 8 judges on the panel, then only 1 would be tossed randomly since it takes 7 judges to "form the result."

Well...at any rate this went from being "clear as mud" to "clear as really dirty water" for me, and now I feel better! :)

DG

If you look at some of the scores from past results, sometimes there are 10 places for judges' marks, but only 9 actually filled in, with x's in the last column. So I guess there is some leeway. If a judge withdraws at the last minute there is supposed to be a substitute judge on site.