Julia Lipnitskaia: One of the rising queens of Skating! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Julia Lipnitskaia: One of the rising queens of Skating!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Agafonova's growth spurt really surprised me, she was so small and look at her now

Julia will grow a few more inches
but I am sure Korobeynikova and Tukt are done growing maybe their physical changes in the future is more of filling out.

DianaSelene

Medalist
Also, Agafonova did grow a lot but she is still quite tiny. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...42168424.76512.255007411190874&type=3&theater Vanessa Lam is only 154 cm and Polina is maybe a hair shorter, so after her big growthspurt she is still only around 153 cm or 5'0", she just used to be even tinier before. And she turns 16 soon so she will likely not get much bigger.

Agafonova seems to have grown a little but she also filled out a lot so that may be why she has problems right now. By the way, on the picture, Zijun Li looks really pretty in that light blue dress. :love: I like it more than the one she skated in recently. Should have kept it.

Brenda

On the Ice
Julia has grown quite a bit in height in the past couple of years, actually...though she may certainly grow even more.
Here's an older pic of her...unfortunately undated...I'm guessing it might be around two to three years ago...Shelepen is already quite tall in this pic so it can't be much older than that...
In the pic, Julia is quite a bit shorter than Evgenia Medvedeva (in blue). But looking at the Russian Nationals footage from December, Julia is probably 3-4 inches taller than Medvedeva now. Even if Medvedeva grew really slowly during that time, that's still a lot of height Julia has covered in 2-3 years.
http://cs10961.userapi.com/u96653235/116695407/x_c4542a6c.jpg
and even though Julia wasnt standing side-by-side with Shelepen in that pic, you can still make a rough comparison to this pic from the junior grand prix final
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...83498_255007411190874_1154835_793570981_n.jpg

As for Agafonova, she was really really really tiny before, so she is still quite short now. But it kinda saddens me that she showed way more spunk when she was pint-sized than now when she's bigger and should have better command of the ice. It's still not too late for her to switch to pairs as originally intended; she has nice lines and beautiful spin positions, her easier triples are solid; maybe skating with a partner could inspire her (and she wouldn't have to deal with missing her lutzes and forgetting to do her third combination every time). Although I really want her to do well in singles, as she easily has the prettiest layback-biellmann of the Russians.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Q&A on Julia on Ice Network. Can't link here; so check it out!

skateflower

Match Penalty
...Tukt will probably not grow much more, maybe a couple inches at most. Her parents are reportedly very small and she is already starting to look more womanly without shooting up much in height over the past few years. I think she will be more like Sasha and stay very petite even when she is full grown.

This kind of speculation and pseudo-diagnosis is insane.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
As for Agafonova, she was really really really tiny before, so she is still quite short now. But it kinda saddens me that she showed way more spunk when she was pint-sized than now when she's bigger and should have better command of the ice. It's still not too late for her to switch to pairs as originally intended; she has nice lines and beautiful spin positions, her easier triples are solid; maybe skating with a partner could inspire her (and she wouldn't have to deal with missing her lutzes and forgetting to do her third combination every time). Although I really want her to do well in singles, as she easily has the prettiest layback-biellmann of the Russians.

when did Agafonova plan this ? because I doubt Urmanov would let her switch to pairs
Its really sad Agafonova lost some of her 3-3 combos and her free spirit personality when she grew,
she is succesful in her own right, a junior world bronze medalist, junior grand prix and junior national medalist
but I fear that she may be left by the other 2 Polinas. :no:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Julia has grown quite a bit in height in the past couple of years, actually...

As for Agafonova, she was really really really tiny before, so she is still quite short now.

Julia has grown a lot from being eleven to twelve and now being thirteen, but is this a growth spurt? all kids grow taller from one year to another.
Same with Elisaveta, she has grown taller but neither of the two had the growth of shelepen or sotnikova who during a summer changed a lot rathen than just being taller.

I had seen Agafanova at J Worlds 2010 and she had impressed me so much, I have a soft spot for her, i d love to see her in pairs!

What worries me is if that all these girls like Agafanova and Sheveleva aim only for Sochi and not further after, and I didnt like that Julia said she wants to win gold in Sochi, I like her motivation but I hope her team prepares her for not winning so she is not dissapointed and stops skating after, as she will be 15 1/2 in Sochi and her debut seniors year. Normally at her age even only the participation in home Olys would be great.

Brenda

On the Ice
^well, it just seemed like she grew a bit more than the 2.5 inches or whatever would be considered "normal growth"...it looks like she grew more than a head's length when compared to the other girls (who must also have been growing, even if at a snail's pace). but of course, it may not be a "spurt" and she may have one later (or sooner)...
she could also not have that final spurt until way after Sochi...didn't Sasha grow her final two or three inches after Salt Lake City (where she was 17)? (or maybe she just started overstating her height in her bio)

when did Agafonova plan this ? because I doubt Urmanov would let her switch to pairs
Its really sad Agafonova lost some of her 3-3 combos and her free spirit personality when she grew,
she is succesful in her own right, a junior world bronze medalist, junior grand prix and junior national medalist
but I fear that she may be left by the other 2 Polinas. :no:

No, not her; Russian skating federation wanted her for pairs when she was younger and just starting to land triples (I think she was actually sent to Urmanov for the purpose of finishing learning her triples and getting a couple consistent ones before making the switch to pairs, but I'm not sure). But then she got all those 3-3s and having success as a junior that she just stayed in singles.

it's unfortunate that she placed so low at nationals. she did win Cup of Nice this season and thus has some senior level exposure in the same city where worlds will be. part of me thinks she would make a better substitute than shelepen or biryukova. agafonova rarely misses her 3S-3T and usually has clean SPs (Shelepen's problem)... her problem is always missing her one or both lutzes, causing her to miss a combo and lose a lot of points. She should just repeat 3S and 3T and she'd probably score a lot better.

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
No, not her; Russian skating federation wanted her for pairs when she was younger and just starting to land triples (I think she was actually sent to Urmanov for the purpose of finishing learning her triples and getting a couple consistent ones before making the switch to pairs, but I'm not sure). But then she got all those 3-3s and having success as a junior that she just stayed in singles.
AFAIK, Igor Moskvin helped her a lot with the jumps. Polina struggled with her 2A back then, but her doubles were high and she was tiny, so they decided to teach her one or two triples and then take her to Moskvina's group to skate in pairs. But she started to land harder triples and then 3Lz-3T, so the plans changed and she is a single skater now

Brenda

On the Ice
AFAIK, Igor Moskvin helped her a lot with the jumps. Polina struggled with her 2A back then, but her doubles were high and she was tiny, so they decided to teach her one or two triples and then take her to Moskvina's group to skate in pairs. But she started to land harder triples and then 3Lz-3T, so the plans changed and she is a single skater now

Thanks for clearing that up, that makes more sense.
I wish she could get that 3Lz-3T back.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^

I hope so, but Agafonova is currently getting a growth spurt and filled out
hopefully she gets them back soon, I want the 3 Polinas to be successful

I think she should stay again in JGP, she is only 15
and her time as another season in junor should help her in polish up her jumps
she could even get into JGP final again.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Agafonova, even though she's grown a lot, could still do pairs if that's what she wanted. She is much bigger than before but at her current size she would be considered a "normal" sized female pair skater. I'm not saying she should necessarily switch, because obviously Russia is very deep in the pairs event as well, but seeing how Gerboldt and Enbert were able to have international success in such a short time as well as Stobolva and Klimov, makes me think that, if she wanted to do pairs and could find a good partner, Polina might be able to have more of an international career than if she chooses to stick with singles. Consistency has always been Agafonova's problem, she is capable of 3-3s but then a lot of the time she comes down on two feet 2.5 revolutions into her jumps in the FS, I don't know if this is due to nerves or lack of speed or what, but we know she CAN do all her triples. I don't know if she will want to do JGP for a 4th year next season, she may be bored of it, but she doesn't have a high enough WS or WR to get GP assignments other than maybe a host spot, and probably not even that as Biryukova is considered the better skater in the eyes of the Russian Fed and will likely be given preference for the host spot. I still think switching to pairs could be a good option. If I/M break up, Nodari could be a good fit for Polina.

As for Liza, didn't her coach even say that she wasn't expect to grow tall and that's why he agreed to train her? It's Liza's ethnic background or something, the people are generally very compact and petite, I remember reading this somewhere. Also she's already 15 and still under 5 feet tall, I don't see her shooting up to be Shelepen's height. And if you look at her face, she does not have the face of a little kid, she looks quite her age, and she doesn't have huge feet either. My little sister is 146 cm and 39 kilos at 16, some people think is she 12 and will grow a lot more, but those who pay attention realize she looks 16 and is just very small. Plenty of pairs skaters are the size Liza is now and will not grow any more. Liza will probably still grow a little, but if she were to have a huge spurt ahead of her, she'd likely have a coltish look to her right now, which she doesn't really.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Agafonova, even though she's grown a lot, could still do pairs if that's what she wanted. She is much bigger than before but at her current size she would be considered a "normal" sized female pair skater. I'm not saying she should necessarily switch, because obviously Russia is very deep in the pairs event as well, but seeing how Gerboldt and Enbert were able to have international success in such a short time as well as Stobolva and Klimov, makes me think that, if she wanted to do pairs and could find a good partner, Polina might be able to have more of an international career than if she chooses to stick with singles. Consistency has always been Agafonova's problem, she is capable of 3-3s but then a lot of the time she comes down on two feet 2.5 revolutions into her jumps in the FS, I don't know if this is due to nerves or lack of speed or what, but we know she CAN do all her triples. I don't know if she will want to do JGP for a 4th year next season, she may be bored of it, but she doesn't have a high enough WS or WR to get GP assignments other than maybe a host spot, and probably not even that as Biryukova is considered the better skater in the eyes of the Russian Fed and will likely be given preference for the host spot. I still think switching to pairs could be a good option. If I/M break up, Nodari could be a good fit for Polina.

As for Liza, didn't her coach even say that she wasn't expect to grow tall and that's why he agreed to train her? It's Liza's ethnic background or something, the people are generally very compact and petite, I remember reading this somewhere. Also she's already 15 and still under 5 feet tall, I don't see her shooting up to be Shelepen's height. And if you look at her face, she does not have the face of a little kid, she looks quite her age, and she doesn't have huge feet either. My little sister is 146 cm and 39 kilos at 16, some people think is she 12 and will grow a lot more, but those who pay attention realize she looks 16 and is just very small. Plenty of pairs skaters are the size Liza is now and will not grow any more. Liza will probably still grow a little, but if she were to have a huge spurt ahead of her, she'd likely have a coltish look to her right now, which she doesn't really.

when did Gerboldt switch to Pairs ? what was her age ?
at this time, Polina Agafonova has 2 route switch to pairs ( don't know if Urmanov will like that ) or stay singles ( she can stay in junior for one more season or transition to seniors but she may not get GP assignments only in B Competitions ). Agafonova's problems now is that she is underotating her 3-3 and even singling them , pairs she could handle the easier triple jumps, Nodari Maisurdze looks perfect for her if ever.

about Liza, yes she is an ethnic called Udmurt and they are normally not that tall. a finno-ugric group of peoples

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ I just saw Gerboldt and I share same bday.:) She switched to pairs after Olys, so she was 21 years old!

spikydurian

Medalist
Wow, watching the video, I must admit this girl is amazing. She will dominate the fs scene for a long time in years to come. Can imagine Tut and Julia taking gold and silver (either way) year after year Sochi and beyond. Not improbable.