Jump in boot stiffness - What do I need to know? | Golden Skate

Jump in boot stiffness - What do I need to know?

icelilly

Spectator
Hi everyone! I'm a 5'4 (1.6m) and 115lb (52kg) skater who is currently working on lutz and soon to be starting axel. I'm not looking for boot advice per se, as I already have a few models in mind, but I'm curious as to your experiences/advice with a large jump in boot stiffness. I'm currently in Excels - and yes, I am aware I am egregiously underbooted, I have multiple injuries to show it - and they've broken down to the point where I either sit down/step out on every jump or have the shakiest, most ankle-threatening landing known to man. I'm a very aggressive jumper and consider myself to be decently fit/muscular, so I'm thinking I'll upgrade to a boot at least suitable for mid-range doubles (although all of them would be nice lol). That being said, I'm a bit worried about how I'll adjust to the massive difference in stiffness. Sadly it's gotten to the point where it is a) unsafe and b) a waste of time and money for me to continue skating in my current boots, so I'll have to bite the bullet and take it anyways. What advice could you all give me? Is there anything special I should be doing in terms of protection (bunga sleeves, padding, etc) and actual break-in of the boot? Thank you all so much!

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Guess you like to live dangerously. The skates with plastic soles and heels aren't designed for jumping, the boot will pull away from the sole (seen it happen a few times).

According to Jackson's fit guide, considering an axel is often considered a double jump, you should be looking at Premieres.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Well, of course get properly fitted for whatever boot you buy. You won't know what you need until you've had your feet in them on the ice. As far as jumping up in stiffness, it doesn't really matter now does it? You really don't have any choice, it may just take longer to get used to a new pair of concrete boots, but you will. Our fitter says a skater will get used to whatever is on their feet (if and only if they were fit properly in the first place!) Don't feel locked in to any particular mfg, find a fitter who can give you some recommendations based on your feet.

As far as Jacksons, my skater has been in Jackson's her entire career, starting from Glaciers and now 8 pairs later, full customs. Included in those were Debut's (very stiff) and Premiere's (not that much stiffer than the Debut). She's never had break in issues, but did have to use sleeves and gel pads to get a more comfortable fit until we got the customs. Boots were always fitted as well as stock boots can be, and heat molded, so we have been very fortunate.

icelilly

Spectator
Thank you everyone and sorry for the late response!! I got refitted, ended up needing a half size smaller, and went with the Premieres. They just got here today :). As @Sibelius mentioned, they are insanely stiff, literally a concrete boot lmao. I might have to get the ankles punched because as of right now they are extremely painful and kind of pushing out the rest of the boot (the factory punch is totally wrong for my ankles), but otherwise the fit is great and I'm super excited to skate in them. Again thank you all so much, I will make sure to use your tips! Especially the bunga pads lol, it seems like those will come in handy for me.

Also for Sibelius, I read your thread about the custom Jackson saga and wow that's crazy. Glad to see there was at least some resolution and I hope everything's still going well.