Just HOW will the U.S. teams be picked? | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Just HOW will the U.S. teams be picked?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think we can agree that past results should not be taken into account in determining the results of the present competition.

Choosing teams for the next future competition can only be done by relying on past results.* The question is, should they rely only on the results of the national championship just concluded half an hour in the past? Or should they also look further back to other competitions that took place weeks or months previously?

*ETA: OK, that's not the only way teams could be chosen. They could ignore past results and be chosen by lottery or auction with spots on the team going to the highest bidder, etc. But I don't think anyone would prefer that approach.:laugh:

Last edited:
The question is, should they rely only on the results of the national championship just concluded half an hour in the past? Or should they also look further back to other competitions that took place weeks or months previously?

It's the "they" in this question that pushes me toward the "half hour before" option.

To me, putting the decision solely in the hands of "them" means...what?

IMHO, whatever the selection procedure, there must be well-defined criteria. Do this and you go. Fail to do this and you don't go. Leaving it up to whether "they" like you or not...:disagree:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think you mean, past results should NOT be taken into account. IT'S SPORT.

Win and go on, lose and go home. :yes:

Nope. I meant exactly what I said.
PCS calls and confirms figure skating is sport, too.

I should clarify.
Alissa did nothing in the past to warrant her PCS. They should bury her in the hole she digged herself. If she wants to crawl out of that hole, she should throw down a 7 triples.

Running average for Rachael is the highest of the current ladies. Is it not fair to say she has a chance to medal with 175 points with the help of Joannie, Yuna, Mao, Miki?
Alissa has no chance to medal with 165 points.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alissa has no chance to medal with 165 points.

It would have been great if Alissa had scored 165 points at Worlds 2009, because if she had, she would have finished 8th and the US would have had 3 spots for Vancouver. But she scored 159.78 and finished 11th. .

janetfan

Match Penalty
But he's going for a Committee pick - not a placement at this years Nats.

No, I think K was mocking the committee. The give away was when he said for once he agreed with me :laugh:

Soon enough we will see how this unfolds. Who knows what surprises we might see.
Maybe as you predict Bebe will possibly break Yuna's world record score. ;)

Last edited:
No, I think K was mocking the committee. The give away was when he said for once he agreed with me :laugh:

Soon enough we will see how this unfolds. Who knows what surprises we might see.
Maybe as you predict Bebe will possibly break Yuna's world record score. ;)
It's very soon now, and Bebe breaking Yuna's world record would make the board scream with distrust in the system. :laugh:

So many posters want Alissa to be at the Oly. I wouldn't mind but then I'm just hoping the two we get will make a nice showing at the Olys. To get 3 Ladies next year will be decided at the. Worlds in Torino. That means 13 points, and the board will argue which two constantly.

I should clarify.

Alissa did nothing in the past to warrant her PCS. They should bury her in the hole she digged herself.

Now, see, that is exaclty why I don't trust this "Committee."

If you were on the Committee, Alissa would have no chance to make the Olympic team. If Polymer Bob were on the Committee, Caroline Zhang would go to Vancouver and we wouldn't even bother to send a second lady. If Joe, me, and Janetfan were on the Commitee, Bebe would be a shoo-in. ;)

Put yourself in the position of the athlete. The only thing you would want is a fair opportunity to compete for a spot on the team. You would not want to sneak in the back door just because you have a friend on the Committee.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
It's very soon now, and Bebe breaking Yuna's world record would make the board scream with distrust in the system. :laugh:

So many posters want Alissa to be at the Oly. I wouldn't mind but then I'm just hoping the two we get will make a nice showing at the Olys. To get 3 Ladies next year will be decided at the. Worlds in Torino. That means 13 points, and the board will argue which two constantly.

It doesn't matter all that much to me which two make it. A little secret is that 2 is as good as 3 in Vancouver. I say that knowing Rachael and the others may lose by a good 30 points.

After the Olympic blowout the casual skating fan may be interested in seeing two different Ladies at Worlds - or just won't watch at all until we come up with some less bland skaters.

I think the "commitee" and NBC figure if our girls will get trounced it might be better to lose with a few girls having a degree of "it" factor.

For me that is Sasha, Mirai and Alissa. Others will feel differently and like Ashley, Rachael or Caroline more. Or even Emily or Bebe.

Rachael was what - 30 points behind Yuna at Worlds last year? Expect more of the same in Vancouver.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

If you were on the Committee, Alissa would have no chance to make the Olympic team. If Polymer Bob were on the Committee, Caroline Zhang would go to Vancouver and we wouldn't even bother to send a second lady. If Joe, me, and Janetfan were on the Commitee, Bebe would be a shoo-in. ;)

Put yourself in the position of the athlete. The only thing you would want is a fair opportunity to compete for a spot on the team. You would not want to sneak in the back door just because you have a friend on the Committee.

And that is exactly why I prefer running average for sport.
That way, Alissa will never leave the US soil and if things happen on the US soil, she can take a vacation somewhere nice like Canada.

If I could sneak in the back door, you bet I would sneak in the back door. :laugh: This is the Olympics we're talking about. Backdoor dealing is expected and built into the system. Someone gotta do it, might as well be me. If I don't do it, then people just expect backdoor dealing for no reason. :rock:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It doesn't matter all that much to me which two make it. A little secret is that 2 is as good as 3 in Vancouver. I say that knowing Rachael and the others may lose by a good 30 points.

After the Olympic blowout the casual skating fan may be interested in seeing two different Ladies at Worlds - or just won't watch at all until we come up with some less bland skaters.

I think the "commitee" and NBC figure if our girls will get trounced it might be better to lose with a few girls having a degree of "it" factor.

For me that is Sasha, Mirai and Alissa. Others will feel differently and like Ashley, Rachael or Caroline more. Or even Emily or Bebe.

Rachael was what - 30 points behind Yuna at Worlds last year? Expect more of the same in Vancouver.

This is precisely why I don't think it really matters who goes to the Olympics, none of the ladies in contention really have a shot at medaling, and their scoring potential is nearly the same (Rachael slightly higher, but Ashley, Alissa, Mirai, Caroline are probably looking at scores in the 160s if they do well). Even if Alissa did land 6 triples in the long, she wouldn't get a total score in the 190s needed to medal, most likely it would be in the 170s. Rachael can maybe crack 180 if she hits everything and makes the last spin count. Even with these kinds of scores you're looking at 5th place or lower unless Mao, Miki, or Joannie have a complete meltdown. The only way a perfect Rachael or Alissa will medal is if two of Mao, Miki, and Joannie really bomb and the European ladies don't do better than usual and get good scores.

R.D.

Record Breaker

If I were on the Committee Flatt would be on the Team ;) provided she showed competence at Nationals.

So many posters want Alissa to be at the Oly...I'm just hoping the two we get will make a nice showing at the Olys. To get 3 Ladies next year will be decided at the. Worlds in Torino. That means 13 points, and the board will argue which two constantly.

I agree and think the Oly and World teams should be different. If USFS/NBC wants name recognition send Cohen to Olys and have the world team be, for example Flatt/Wagner (or whomever).

Last edited:
It doesn't matter all that much to me which two make it.

But it matters to them.

Silverlake said:
This is precisely why I don't think it really matters who goes to the Olympics.

In the grand scheme of things, no, it doesn't really matter who goes to the Olympics and who stays home, who wins the Olympic gold medal and who misses the podium, or any of the rest of it. But all the same, the athletes deserve a fair shot and a level playing field. That's all we can ask. :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
But it matters to them.

In the grand scheme of things, no, it doesn't really matter who goes to the Olympics and who stays home, who wins the Olympic gold medal and who misses the podium, or any of the rest of it. But all the same, the athletes deserve a fair shot and a level playing field. That's all we can ask. :)

Of course I think it matters to the skaters and to most of us fans.
I happen to like Sasha - but don't care if she makes the team. I would like to see her skate and do her best but I feel like that for all of our girls.

When I say it doesn't matter I meant I wil be happy to root like crazy for whoever is selected and will hope they do well in Vancouver.

As far as winning or being a factor - I don't see it happening. With major melts our top girl skating better than she has before could be in position to steal the bronze medal.

I care and have my favorites (more than two) so no matter who is selected I will feel a little letdown. But on the whole, unless Sasha and Rachael can separate themselves from the others with great performances at Natls they all seem to be at about the same level to me.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

I think if Alissa comes in 1st, 2nd or 3rd she should go to the Olympics and someone else goes to worlds for her. Then Alissa's happy because she gets to go to the Olympics, the other skater is happy because she gets to go to worlds, and if the other skater is picked intelligently, she won't bomb due to pressure and we'll have 3 spots for worlds in 2011 :agree: That's what they did in Japan with Akiko and Yukari.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rachael was what - 30 points behind Yuna at Worlds last year?

Rachael was 25.3 points behind Yu-Na at Worlds 2009, but only 13.07 points behind Yu-Na at SA.

Alissa, OTOH, was 47.93 points behind Yu-Na at Worlds 2009.

R.D.

Record Breaker
lol...*only* 13 points behind...I like that :laugh:

US has little to no hope at olys :(

James R

Match Penalty
Rachael beat Yuna in the free skate at Skate America. That makes me more hopeful than before at least.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Rachael beat Yuna in the free skate at Skate America. That makes me more hopeful than before at least.

Rachel needs to be more competitive in the SP, though. If she could at least be in the low 60s she'd be in striking range. As long as she stays in the 50s, it will be hard for her to overtake the top skaters even with a killer FS (like at SA). Yuna also helped her with a really mediocre performance on her part.

mskater93

Record Breaker
lol...*only* 13 points behind...I like that :laugh:

US has little to no hope at olys :(

Didn't Yuna win Worlds by some ridiculous margin like that, too, though? Ah, yes, between first and second last year in ladies at the World Championships the total point differential was 16.42.