USFS names World, JW, & 4CCs team | Golden Skate

USFS names World, JW, & 4CCs team

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SAN JOSE, Calif. - U.S. Figure Skating has announced its women's selections for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2023 and the ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2023. The teams were selected following the 2023 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships in San Jose, Calif.

WOMEN

2023 World Championships

Isabeau Levito
Bradie Tennell
Amber Glenn
Alternate 1- Starr Andrews
Alternate 2 - Lindsay Thorngren
Alternate 3 - Ava Ziegler

2023 Four Continents Championships
Isabeau Levito
Bradie Tennell
Amber Glenn
Alternate 1 - Starr Andrews
Alternate 2 - Lindsay Thorngren
Alternate 3 - Gracie Gold

Women and men will be named to the 2023 U.S. World Junior Team following the conclusion of the World Junior Singles Camp, Feb. 2-3 in Las Vegas.

ICE DANCE
2023 World Championships

Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker
Caroline Green and Michael Parsons
Alternate 1- Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
Alternate 2 - Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik
Alternate 3 - Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville

2023 World Junior Championships
Leah Neset and Artem Markelov
Helena Carhart and Volodymyr Horovyi
Jenna Hauer and Benjamin Starr
Alternate 1 - Vanessa Pham and Jonathan Rogers
Alternate 2 - Elliana Peal and Ethan Peal
Alternate 3 - Kristina Bland and Matthew Sperry

Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
Alternate 1 - Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik
Alternate 2 - Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville
Alternate 3 - Eva Pate and Logan Bye

PAIRS
2023 World Championships

Alexa Knierim and Brandon Frazier
Emily Chan and Spencer Howe
Ellie Kam and Danny O'Shea
Alternate 1- Anastasiia Smirnova and Danil Siianytsia
Alternate 2 - Valentina Plazas and Maximiliano Fernandez
Alternate 3 - Katie McBeath and Nathan Bartholomay

Sonia Baram and Daniel Tioumentsev
Naomi Williams and Lachlan Lewer*
Alternate 1 - Lilianna Murray/Jordan Gillette*

Valentina Plazas and Maximiliano Fernandez
Alternate 1 - Katie McBeath and Nathan Bartholomay
Alternate 2 - Maria Mokhova and Ivan Mokhov

*Pending minimum technical score

MEN

2023 World Championships

Ilia Malinin
Jason Brown
Andrew Torgashev*
Alternate 1 - Camden Pulkinen
Alternate 2 - Maxim Naumov
Alternate 3 - Jimmy Ma

Maxim Naumov
Jimmy Ma
Liam Kapeikis
Alternate 1 - Tomoki Hiwatashi
Alternate 2 - Yaroslav Paniot
Alternate 3 - Samuel Mindra

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
So happy for Isabeau, Bradie, and Amber. Isabeau deserves it 100%. Bradie has made an incredible comeback this year and she is my favorite US woman. But, this must be extremely special for Amber who was left off the team in 2021. So, a special congratulations to her!

Last edited:

DLong

Rinkside
Honestly they could have thrown Starr a bone and given her 4CCs.
Who should they leave off, so that she could go?? I feel like they threw her a bone when she was fourth. Josephine's free skate was so much better than Starr's, but then Starr's short program was so much better than Josephine's so Starr is in fourth. Isabeau is absolutely phenomenal. I love her skating, her music, and costumes. She is the complete package. We are so lucky to have her!! She is a beautiful artistic skater that has nerves of steel, and is technically strong, and our new National Champion. Bradie has improved so much from her first GP event, especially after being injured all of last season, and the silver medalist. Amber has already been ditched when she was the silver medalist. She skated her free program much better than Starr and is the bronze medalist, so why should any of them be left off, so that Starr, which is inconsistent, can go? Starr has some lovely costumes, I really liked her free skate costume, but I think her skating is just ok.
Our National podium makes me so happy. I'm thrilled that they are going to Worlds and 4CC!! :love2:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Iā€™m so happy for these three. šŸ‘

To all those, that think Andrews should go to 4CC. Absolutely no.

1) Levito, this is her first 4CC. Iā€™m pretty sure she wants the title heading to Senior Worlds
2) Tennell, lost her chance to go to Worlds and Olympics due to a naggin injury. She needs points to rebuild her ranking and Iā€™m sure she is happy just to finally be able to compete again
3) Glenn, has never made it to worlds. I donā€™t know if she has gone to 4CC before. But, after missing Olympics, you can tell how much it means to her, just to finally make the team. She deserves it. If Starr is given the 4CC bone and Glenn chokes at Worlds, the 4CC would be a missed opportunity for Glenn. Having two events, gives her two chances to place high enough to move up the world standings.

These three are happy to represent the USA at these two events. Levito needs as much international exposure, as possible, so she can be seen as the biggest threat to Japan. Tennell and Glenn need points so that they can solidify their stance through ranking points for selection to international events over the next three years.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here are selections for Ice Dance and Pairs

ICE DANCE
2023 World Championships

Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker

Alternate 1- Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko
Alternate 2 - Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik
Alternate 3 - Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville

Leah Neset and Artem Markelov
Helena Carhart and Volodymyr Horovyi
Jenna Hauer and Benjamin Starr

Alternate 1 - Vanessa Pham and Jonathan Rogers
Alternate 2 - Elliana Peal and Ethan Peal
Alternate 3 - Kristina Bland and Matthew Sperry

Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko

Alternate 1 - Emilea Zingas and Vadym Kolesnik
Alternate 2 - Emily Bratti and Ian Somerville
Alternate 3 - Eva Pate and Logan Bye

PAIRS
2023 World Championships

Alexa Knierim and Brandon Frazier

Alternate 1- Anastasiia Smirnova and Danil Siianytsia
Alternate 2 - Valentina Plazas and Maximiliano Fernandez
Alternate 3 - Katie McBeath and Nathan Bartholomay

Sonia Baram and Daniel Tioumentsev
Naomi Williams and Lachlan Lewer*

Alternate 1 - Lilianna Murray/Jordan Gillette*

Valentina Plazas and Maximiliano Fernandez

Alternate 1 - Katie McBeath and Nathan Bartholomay
Alternate 2 - Maria Mokhova and Ivan Mokhov

Amei

Record Breaker
Disagree, friend.

Starr had the opportunity to earn the assignment. She didn't. The top three placements were clearly separated from the field. If they want to go to 4CC, there's no reason for that not to happen.

Agree, given its a US located 4CCs the Fed probably wants the strongest showing possible* and Starr (as well as Amber and the other 2 alternates) are inconsistent and Starr has the lowest planned BV so the least room for error, she was in the driver's seat headed into the FS and didn't deliver. I think she was given a bone being the first alternate - all 3 alternates are total wild cards, if I had a say I would have put Lindsey as first alternate because if you have to put a wild card out on the ice I would give it to the skater with the bigger upside who I think is Lindsey: she's younger in her career and her technical upside is better than both Starr and Gracie.

*It will be interesting on the men's selection, I've seen it mentioned that Ilia Malinin has Art on Ice shows that conflicts with 4ccs, given his lead going into the FS unless he has a complete meltdown he's not going to be caught. So it will be interesting to see if he gets named to 4ccs if he goes to the c ompetition or the shows.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@Amei I'm almost certain that both Ilia and Jason have "pre-declined" selection to 4CC.

On the men's side, there's a big opportunity for skaters who don't make the podium. I think it makes the free skate today more exciting, because there are probably 5 (maybe 6) senior team selections between World's and 4CC. That's a lot to skate for.

Amei

Record Breaker
@Amei I'm almost certain that both Ilia and Jason have "pre-declined" selection to 4CC.

On the men's side, there's a big opportunity for skaters who don't make the podium. I think it makes the free skate today more exciting, because there are probably 5 (maybe 6) senior team selections between World's and 4CC. That's a lot to skate for.

Everyone always talks about how 4ccs is supposed to be the Europeans equivalent but the ISU/feds need to figure out what to do to incentivize 4ccs where opting out/pre-emptively telling the fed to not assign you to it is not a thing. Barring injury or illness, an athlete eligible for Europeans wouldn't opt out of going.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Everyone always talks about how 4ccs is supposed to be the Europeans equivalent but the ISU/feds need to figure out what to do to incentivize 4ccs where opting out/pre-emptively telling the fed to not assign you to it is not a thing. Barring injury or illness, an athlete eligible for Europeans wouldn't opt out of going.
if spots were at stake, it may give more incentive to feds to select their A team and expect they go... at the same time, i appreciate the 3 skaters party for every nation since 4CC would be smaller otherwise... Also, Euros are so much more convenient for travel for most every year...being in the usa this year, i can understand some Asian countries might not necessarily send their A team but it is indeed sad that some of the best American athletes are not competing at home.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
I think a big part of the issue is 4CC being much closer to worlds than Euros and its a disruption to their training schedule.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Americans must be happy with their team. It is just so well balanced. They have a medal contender in each discipline with good back ups favoured in all four disciplines

Ladies - Levito is a top three favourite with the two other Japanese women. Tennell and Glenn (WC), as good back ups, favoured for top ten placement. Should secure three spots for next season
Men - Ilia is a top three favourite along with two Japanese men. Brown is the perfect back up, as I see Brown finishing in the 4-6 range this year. They can now send a WC for third slot, given how well Brown skated at Nationals.
Pairs - Brandon and Alexa are fire and favoured for 1/2. It will be an interesting fight via the Japanese team. But, they won me over at Nationals, enough for me to put them in first, even. The second team is a good back up for 4-6 and Danny and his new partner have enough potential for top ten.
Dance - The top team is second favourite. The second team 4-6 range, with their third team in the 7-9 range

The USA is looking good to solidify and secure all three spots for next year

yesterday

Record Breaker
I think a big part of the issue is 4CC being much closer to worlds than Euros and its a disruption to their training schedule.

This reminds me of last season. It was a very special situation of course and maybe it's too intense for fans and media etc. to always have Euros and 4CC in back to back weeks, but I think it would be nice to have them two weeks apart, ideally every season so that skaters can plan better?

Last edited: