USFS names World, JW, & 4CCs team | Page 4 | Golden Skate

USFS names World, JW, & 4CCs team

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
4CC isn’t the equivalent of Europeans, but I think it’s more competitive in three disciplines, pairs being the odd man out. But Europeans is the more elite competition.

Fans like to say the issue with 4CC is the timing and travel, but I say there’s more to it than that. For one, at 4CC all skaters make the free skate, regardless of how poorly they do. And every country gets three spots regardless of how poorly the skaters do. There’s no such thing as losing or gaining spots. If a country has enough skaters with tech minimums, they can send three skaters every year. That is the real issue. If there was actually something on the line then you best believe federations would send their best skaters out.
Not really. In singles only top 24 skaters make it through - there's still a cut off. You can see this from 2014-2020. The reason why we haven't seen skaters miss out lately is because there aren't enough competitors. Hence the three spots per country. If they lost spots, the competition would be even smaller.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Camden : my guess would be that the USFed wasn't impressed with him and didn't want to give him 4CC because it's a good competition to invest on newcomers or less experienced skaters who have never been to worlds before.

Camden has that experience. He has done brilliantly at 2022 worlds. So, he doesn't "need" the experience as much as those named.

However, if Andrew were not able to reach minimums, then the USFed needs to send their best possible team. Other skaters, those listed at 4CC do not have the same international pedigree as Camden, so it's not a bad idea to select him as 1st alternate.

My guess is that Camden, a student at Columbia University, simply has to get back to class and cannot take any more time off. I suspect he had told USFS ahead of time, that his schedule precluded going to 4CC regardless of Nationals outcome.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Amber Glenn went to 4CC last year, and she finished 8th, behind teammates Gabriella Izzo and Starr Andrews. Internationally, while she usually skates a good SP, she can't seem to get through her FS without a major mistake. Even at Nationals FS, she doubled the salchow and singled the 2a in her jump sequence.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
My guess is that Camden, a student at Columbia University, simply has to get back to class and cannot take any more time off. I suspect he had told USFS ahead of time, that his schedule precluded going to 4CC regardless of Nationals outcome.

Very possible... of course, we are just guessing here.

icybear

Medalist
Beats me why Malinin isnt going to 4CC. He could easily win it and it would give him his first senior major title plus build on the pcs fow Worlds. Maybe he doesnt think he needs to do that because he knows the pcs will come automatically if he lands his 5 quads. And its not like he's missing it to take a rest, he's using the time to go to a freaking ice show

mrrice

Record Breaker
Disagree, friend.

Starr had the opportunity to earn the assignment. She didn't. The top three placements were clearly separated from the field. If they want to go to 4CC, there's no reason for that not to happen.
I agree. Starr had all the momentum heading into Nationals and probably would have won the Bronze if she had skated her LP like she did in Canada. Amber worked hard to get on the team after some BIG disappointments. There isn't a lady on the team that should be passed over for Starr.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Beats me why Malinin isnt going to 4CC. He could easily win it and it would give him his first senior major title plus build on the pcs fow Worlds. Maybe he doesnt think he needs to do that because he knows the pcs will come automatically if he lands his 5 quads. And its not like he's missing it to take a rest, he's using the time to go to a freaking ice show
Well, I think this is for financial reasons more than anything else. Ice Shows give you immediate money. You don't have to wait for sponsor money to come in. Plus, there's no stress and you get to travel with your friends and make money at the same time.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My thoughts about Ilia and shows:

I believe the ISU "awards" (in quotation marks deliberately) may be announced at Art on Ice, (the show to which Ilia and Jason are going). Isn't one of the awards something about memorable moments or astounding achievements or something into which they could shoehorn the 4A? So not only is Ilia getting a (probably) much needed payday, he may be getting an award.

Simple wild a$$ guess, but I like it.:biggrin:

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Amber Glenn went to 4CC last year, and she finished 8th, behind teammates Gabriella Izzo and Starr Andrews. Internationally, while she usually skates a good SP, she can't seem to get through her FS without a major mistake. Even at Nationals FS, she doubled the salchow and singled the 2a in her jump sequence.
Amber went in 2020 and finished 9th (in a more packed field with quads and 3As being attempted); Audrey Shin went in 2022 and finished 4th.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ilia has mentioned that he needs to up his PCS scores. Experience in show skating might be a good thing for him.

He's been skating in shows, and I think they have helped his performance ability. This was clearly noticeable in the SP. I concede the LP... not so much. But that SP was a big step forward, and I don't mean just because it was clean.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If there was actually something on the line then you best believe federations would send their best skaters out.
Ideally. However, other problematic issues would still be a factor, including logistical scheduling, and perceived importance of the event. It's not perceived as being that important (which likely is why three athletes/ teams are allowed in every discipline). It's something nice to add to a resume, or as tune-up and experience, especially for up-and-coming and for second-tier skaters during the Olympic season. But overall, 4CCs has never been considered very important to make or break careers. Europeans is more established as a major, important event due to its longevity and important legacy tied to the era when figure skating was developing as a bonafide sport.

4CCs seemingly was intended to replace the former North American championships, with also throwing in non-European countries for some reason. The North American championships was probably an answer to Euros (maybe), but it never developed the same importance and longevity. Meanwhile, Asian countries have their own exclusive events that don't include the U.S. and Canada.

Funnily enough, any skating competitor was formerly allowed to compete at Euros, which is why Dick Button has a European championship win. That win is what prompted organizers to exclude non-European athletes from the event.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, one big issue with 4CC is scheduling. US Nationals is the last of the big national competitions.

The turnaround from Nationals to 4CC to Worlds is pretty tight. That's a lot for skaters to prepare for, especially when some of these also had a major competition at GPF. By contrast, Canadian nationals were a few weeks ago, Japanese nationals some time before that. Russian nationals are at Christmas. Of course, Europeans have already wrapped up, so that event is closer to their nationals, but they have plenty of recovery time before Worlds.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The turnaround from Nationals to 4CC to Worlds is pretty tight.
Which is exactly the reason why some top U.S. and Canadian athletes skip 4CCs during the Olympic season. Some also skip Worlds as well, if they are veterans who achieve their medal-winning goals at the Olympics.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For 2023 4CC, the skaters in all disciplines will make the FS, same as 2022 4CC. Both of these competitions were scheduled for a non-Asian venue, so not all Asian countries sent competitors, and those Asian countries that were represented sent only one competitor.