Kim vs Asada, Virtue/Moir vs Davis/White | Golden Skate

Kim vs Asada, Virtue/Moir vs Davis/White

Tessa&Scott

Spectator
The rivalries of Yuna Kim vs Mao Asada and Virtue/Moir vs Davis/White are some of the most unique rivalries in sport. When all parties are at their best, who comes out on top could be a matter of the judges' personal preferences. For both pairs, who would you like to see win the gold in Sochi?

While I feel that Kim and Asada are both very talented skaters, unless Asada arrives with a clean triple axel (which looks unlikely at this point), Yuna has the edge. And I think you could infer by my name who I want to win gold in the ice dance! The stories and emotions they present each and every time they skate are one hundred percent natural. While Davis and White may be technically flawless, Virtue and Moir have a chemistry and charisma that cannot be compared with anyone else in the sport.

Tell me what you think! :)

I can't even choose. My gut feeling is to hope that the ones who don't yet have an OGM get one, but I love both sets in each rivalry to the utmost. I remember feeling this way about John Curry and Toller Cranston back in 1976, and it was justified. Both of those pathfinding men were milestone skaters, and the only reason a choice had to be made between them was that they happened to skate in the same time frame. In fact, I don't remember Cranston with any less enjoyment, admiration, or satisfaction than I remember Curry, and I suspect this will be the case with the ice dancers this year, and probably with the two ladies if both skate their best (which I devoutly hope will be the case).

It's Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly all over again. Who could do without either one of them?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The rivalries of Yuna Kim vs Mao Asada and Virtue/Moir vs Davis/White are some of the most unique rivalries in sport. When all parties are at their best, who comes out on top could be a matter of the judges' personal preferences. For both pairs, who would you like to see win the gold in Sochi?

While I feel that Kim and Asada are both very talented skaters, unless Asada arrives with a clean triple axel (which looks unlikely at this point), Yuna has the edge. And I think you could infer by my name who I want to win gold in the ice dance! The stories and emotions they present each and every time they skate are one hundred percent natural. While Davis and White may be technically flawless, Virtue and Moir have a chemistry and charisma that cannot be compared with anyone else in the sport.

Tell me what you think! :)

I think, given your screen name, you are not the most unbiased person on here. ;)

I'll say what I said before. I'd love to see Marlie win both Sochi and Worlds so that way they and Voir wind up with the same record in terms of World and Olympic medals. It's the Libra in me... LOL!

As far as the women, I may be shot for saying this, but Kim has only moved me once with her skating, during last year's worlds. And I may have been more moved by her utter determination than the actual performance. I just don't find the women as compelling as the dancers, and I haven't for several years now.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Virtue and Moir have a chemistry and charisma that cannot be compared with anyone else in the sport.

:agree: Hope that Virtue/Moir win ice dance gold again ... and team gold for the first time.

And V/M might be first in the heart of someone at Arctic Edge, unless its electronic sign rotates the order of the Team Canton couples:

... I'd love to see Marlie win both Sochi and Worlds so that way they and Voir wind up with the same record in terms of World and Olympic medals. It's the Libra in me... LOL!

Forgive my nitpicking, but regarding 2014 Worlds:
- It is impossible for Davis/White to catch up to V/M in terms of total count of World medals of any metal -- even if V/M do not compete in Japan. But D/W potentially could surpass V/M in World golds.
- So far, V/M have six World medals -- gold: 2010, 2012; silver: 2008, 2011; 2013; bronze: 2009. D/W have four -- gold: 2011, 2013; silver: 2010; 2012.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
both v/m and d/w fans need to stop being so hostile to one another. i enjoy both teams a lot and they are both so much better than the rest of the field it's ridiculous. instead of sniping at each other, ya'll should instead be more concerned about where the sport's headed after they both retire this year and we're stuck watching the rest of them ripping off old vm/dw programs.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
both v/m and d/w fans need to stop being so hostile to one another. i enjoy both teams a lot and they are both so much better than the rest of the field it's ridiculous. instead of sniping at each other, ya'll should instead be more concerned about where the sport's headed after they both retire this year and we're stuck watching the rest of them ripping off old vm/dw programs.

I don't see any hostility or sniping in this thread. Elsewhere, yes (unfortunately). But in this thread, no.
The OP asked for our preferences, and we have been giving them -- without showing any disrespect to either couple.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
I don't see any hostility or sniping in this thread. Elsewhere, yes (unfortunately). But in this thread, no.
The OP asked for our preferences, and we have been giving them -- without showing any disrespect to either couple.

yeah, i didn't mean on this thread, just everywhere else on the internet in general

yeah, i didn't mean on this thread, just everywhere else on the internet in general

Yeah, it's almost as if someone came along and offered someone an emerald and a sapphire, and instead of saying, "Wow, two awesome jewels!," the person said, "I like emeralds. That sapphire looks kind of dull." And someone else said, "Are you crazed? Everyone knows that emeralds are second-rate compared to sapphires"....As if there are other gems of this luster lying around on the ground everywhere we look.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Forgive my nitpicking, but regarding 2014 Worlds:
- It is impossible for Davis/White to catch up to V/M in terms of total count of World medals of any metal -- even if V/M do not compete in Japan. But D/W potentially could surpass V/M in World golds.
- So far, V/M have six World medals -- gold: 2010, 2012; silver: 2008, 2011; 2013; bronze: 2009. D/W have four -- gold: 2011, 2013; silver: 2010; 2012.

No, no, you are right about the total medals. I was specifically thinking of the Olympic year 2010 to Olympic year 2014 period and should have qualified it. My bad.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I kind of want those without OGM to win. I love Marlie as people and technically Ithink they are best tes wise but skating skills and pure artistry and charisma I go with the Canadians. I kind of lean to V and M because overall which is not judged I thnk in a way they deserve it. My bias is that I don't see that special charisma in D and W though they perform amazingly well. As for Yuna and Mao I know Mao really tries or tried but technically she just isn't consistent enough and if she wins it will be a b it of a "fluke" really. She should have had her jump focus done and not switching do I work on the triple tirple or the triple axel and what arsenault am I relying on. She has ur's edge issues and still struggles for a clean 3A - a hard jump but still she needs it. I think Yuna will win it she is the comlete package but fair criticism to her she has not really grown or evolved as a skater.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I think it's notable that it's the exact same rivalries as four years ago. Has this ever happened before? I don't know if that is a good thing or not, it may reflect the lack of professional opportunities.

Anyway, I'm 100% for Davis and White, but I'd be shocked if they won. I'd rather see Mao win, since Yuna disappeared for three years then came back and beat everyone (that shows how good "everyone" is). But I expect she'll repeat.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
I think it's notable that it's the exact same rivalries as four years ago.

it seriously speaks to how weak the rest of the field is, especially if you consider what a short career span figure skaters have compared to other athletes. it's like gymnastics - usually you win one gold and then get the **** out of the way. i like mao, but i don't think she has a chance. it's not like she dominated the field when yuna semi retired anyway.

Anyway, I'm 100% for Davis and White, but I'd be shocked if they won.

why would you be shocked? they haven't been beaten since worlds 2012.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I dislike D/W's skating, sorry to their fans. I much prefer V/M (see my profile pic!) While I think D/W have improved the technical game & added more partner holds, I still find their FD's very freeskated. Virtue and Moir look like they are ballroom dancing on ice, and that's the whole ideal for ice dance.

As for the YuNa/Mao rivalry, I've never understood it. When I watch YuNa, for ex Send in the Clowns, she is perfection. Nice jumps, appealing spins, lyrical, graceful.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Whatever floats one's boat, as far as preference goes. I enjoy D/W because they skate with so much excitement. I hope they win, but understand why some may prefer V/M. Also I find D/W just nice people. I just can't like Scott Moir. I also agree with the above post about Mao's jump problems. She has so many great qualities, but she just doesn't have the jumps to beat Yuna. For that matter, I don't think Mao will be on the podium unless for some miracle she lands all her triple axels cleanly.

SimplyLex

On the Ice

A very debatable bronze in 2009, and only by 0.04. Had it been judged fairly, that bronze would've gone to D/W and both teams would have 5 world medals each by now.
But yeah, I guess a medal is a medal. So yes, in terms of the number of world medals, Meryl and Charlie will never level Tessa and Scott, unless they continue beyond 2014 (highly unlikely). The consolation prize is the fact they won 5 straight GPF golds and V/M don't even have one.

Nevertheless, Davis/White have all it takes to get the gold this time around. They have the momentum, the better FD and the reputation of being the current world champions AND the current GPF champions AND of being undefeated since early 2012.

Memelah711

Rinkside
I want Charlie and Meryl to win Sochi. I like Tessa and Scott too, but I want Charlie and Meryl to have that ultimate prize in their collection. I have the same thoughts about Charlie and Meryl now that I had about Shen and Zhao in Vancouver. I find Charlie and Meryl to skate with a dynamic elegance; Tessa and Scott with a quiet elegance.

For the ladies, I would love it if Mao won. However, I honestly believe Yuna is going to win. Mao will have to be totally clean to beat Yuna.

pharmtech1

Rinkside
Tessa and Scott are so focused and they haven't peaked yet where I believe Davis and White have . The gap has closed quite a bit lately and with a bit more speed the Gold will go to Virtue / Moir !! I hope

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I'm rooting for Mao & Charlie & Meryl. In Mao's case because I love her artistry, presentation, form, musicality, and spunk. I appreciate the variety within her repertoire, and I have ever since I first saw her in person at the L.A. Worlds. (I enjoy Yuna as well, but for me she never completely broke away from Michelle's style to create one of her own). As for Charlie & Meryl, I love their short this season and I have always loved their technical speed, especially in the twizzle sequences. Watching them, I always feel like they are taking risks. My favorite free dances this season belong to the Italians & the French (I love their shorts as well); but in the fight for the gold, I'm cheering for D&W. It's entirely possible that they may make a mistake & lose the chance, but this is one of the reasons I like them as a team.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I think that in an ideal World (is THIS one i this or not?....) the quality of skating and of the DANCE would make Virtue/Moir winning all the time when they are flawless.
The "wowww" quality of Davis/white is unquestionnable, but they only could rightlx win when they lost in the year of their Fledermaus....

Mao skates beautifully. Kim skates beautifully AND with a MUCH better basic techique of jumping.

I think that these 4 teams/competitors are the best one's in our era in figure skating.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
honestly, the idea of 'peaking' in sports has always seemed a little crazy to me. i used to play tennis very competitively and the idea of 'peaking' was prevalent there too, but practicing too much was never an issue for me. it wasn't like i'd reach a point of diminishing returns and i'd hit a place where i'd inevitably decline in quality even though i was putting in solid, productive training hours.