Kim vs Asada, Virtue/Moir vs Davis/White | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kim vs Asada, Virtue/Moir vs Davis/White

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
honestly, the idea of 'peaking' in sports has always seemed a little crazy to me. i used to play tennis very competitively and the idea of 'peaking' was prevalent there too, but practicing too much was never an issue for me. it wasn't like i'd reach a point of diminishing returns and i'd hit a place where i'd inevitably decline in quality even though i was putting in solid, productive training hours.

Yeah, I'm skeptical of the "peaking" thing myself. I can see how it might be difficult mentally for a skater to have an absolutely mind-blowing performance on the Grand Prix or at nationals and have the sense there's nowhere to go 'upward' from there and wonder "how am I ever going to do that at the Olympics"...but there's no reason it can't happen.

I do think it's important to keep in mind that V/M tend to really hit their stride later in the season, though, so the fact that they haven't beaten D/W yet this season doesn't mean they won't.

I guess I'm greedy, but I'd like to see both V/M and Yu Na repeat. Nothing against D/W or Mao; I just prefer the defending champions in this case.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
honestly, the idea of 'peaking' in sports has always seemed a little crazy to me. i used to play tennis very competitively and the idea of 'peaking' was prevalent there too, but practicing too much was never an issue for me. it wasn't like i'd reach a point of diminishing returns and i'd hit a place where i'd inevitably decline in quality even though i was putting in solid, productive training hours.

I actually believe it is possible to "peak" too early. In the year of the last summer Olympics my national volleyball team was crazy awesome all season long, was beating everyone, including world champions Brazil and olympic champions USA, won the World League, went to London as favourites for gold... and stopped playing well. They looked overtrained, tired and past their "peak". Or past their prime, if you will. They haven't gotten themselves together ever since either. So yeah, I believe there is such thing as "peaking too early". However, I don't believe it's the case with D/W. After their first two GPs everyone was already saying they reached their peak and would only go downhill from there, and they kind of did at the GPF, but then they were super amazing at nationals again and there still is room to grow for their programs, the SD especially.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
I actually believe it is possible to "peak" too early. In the year of the last summer Olympics my national volleyball team was crazy awesome all season long, was beating everyone, including world champions Brazil and olympic champions USA, won the World League, went to London as favourites for gold... and stopped playing well. They looked overtrained, tired and past their "peak". Or past their prime, if you will. They haven't gotten themselves together ever since either. So yeah, I believe there is such thing as "peaking too early". However, I don't believe it's the case with D/W. After their first two GPs everyone was already saying they reached their peak and would only go downhill from there, and they kind of did at the GPF, but then they were super amazing at nationals again and there still is room to grow for their programs, the SD especially.

that's an interesting point, but i think that all connects to how you train and how sensible you are about it. if you do it properly and don't push your body past its limits and give yourself adequate rest time, i don't think an athlete will ever physically hit a 'peak'. the peak is theoretically unattainable and the thing you're constantly striving towards.

mental and emotional exhaustion is another story entirely however.

prettykeys

Medalist
I'd rather see Mao win, since Yuna disappeared for three years then came back and beat everyone (that shows how good "everyone" is). But I expect she'll repeat.
I prefer to look at it as a testament to YuNa's strength as a competitor. There aren't too many other ladies' performances that would have beat her under IJS standards. Also, she stands out as the only Olympic Gold Medalist to have returned in decent form since Katarina Witt. Hardly a reason to shame "everyone".

Anyway, to answer the thread: Like the others, I myself prefer Virtue/Moir over Davis/White when they are at their best, and I would be delighted if YuNa repeated as well. However, this time the spotlight on the Ladies competition is more mixed than it was in 2010; I wouldn't exactly frame 2014 as a YuNa vs. Mao thing over again. The Russians Julia & Adelina, Akiko Suzuki with a stunning Japanese title win, Carolina Kostner, and even Gracie Gold have closed in on podium contention. Kanako Murakami is also a brilliant competitor; she consistently puts out strong performances. My big fear is that she doesn't have the pedigree that Mao or Akiko have, so the judges are going to lowball her because "sorry, we already have too many Japanese skaters near the top." But we'll see.

Crystallize

On the Ice
I prefer to look at it as a testament to YuNa's strength as a competitor. There aren't too many other ladies' performances that would have beat her under IJS standards. Also, she stands out as the only Olympic Gold Medalist to have returned in decent form since Katarina Witt. Hardly a reason to shame "everyone".

Decent? :biggrin:

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Yeah, I'm skeptical of the "peaking" thing myself. I can see how it might be difficult mentally for a skater to have an absolutely mind-blowing performance on the Grand Prix or at nationals and have the sense there's nowhere to go 'upward' from there and wonder "how am I ever going to do that at the Olympics"...but there's no reason it can't happen.

I do think it's important to keep in mind that V/M tend to really hit their stride later in the season, though, so the fact that they haven't beaten D/W yet this season doesn't mean they won't.

I guess I'm greedy, but I'd like to see both V/M and Yu Na repeat. Nothing against D/W or Mao; I just prefer the defending champions in this case.

Except for the fact that D/W haven't been beaten since 2012 and agruably should have won the World's before that. V/M's Free Dance is not as good either, so unless D/W have a melt down, they should win the Olympics.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Not so fast, everyone.

One thing none of us know is how skating 4 Olympic programs rather than 2 (for Mao) or rather than 2 (last 3 years for V&M and D&W) or rather than 3 (for V&M or D&W last Olympics. By the FD or FS, will any of them be just worn out?

This will be particularly hard on Mao relative to YuNa, since YuNa doesn't have to skate the team event.

I would rather see D&W win it this time; I have far preferred their SD's and OD's to V&M's over the last 4 years, and they run about even on FD's, so D&W overall. However, I would not predict anything...they are too close ... and both too wonderful.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
^ which is exactly why I hate the fact the team event is before the individual ones. Honestly, if I were D/W and V/M, I would be saving my best for the individual. Mao not so much because her individual medal is not as certain as it is for both dance teams.
Which is also why I think the outcome of the TE is gonna tell us nothing about which team is closer to the individual gold.

Franklin99

Medalist
Not so fast, everyone.

One thing none of us know is how skating 4 Olympic programs rather than 2 (for Mao) or rather than 2 (last 3 years for V&M and D&W) or rather than 3 (for V&M or D&W last Olympics. By the FD or FS, will any of them be just worn out?

This will be particularly hard on Mao relative to YuNa, since YuNa doesn't have to skate the team event.

I would rather see D&W win it this time; I have far preferred their SD's and OD's to V&M's over the last 4 years, and they run about even on FD's, so D&W overall. However, I would not predict anything...they are too close ... and both too wonderful.

Mao is only skating the SP for the team event. I doubt that would bea big risk to do 14 days before competing in the single events. More like she will have a chance to test out Sochi's ice, changes she added to her program, and have a chance to correct any mistakes made during the team event. It could backfire, or she can totally benefit from competing early.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Mao is only skating the SP for the team event. I doubt that would bea big risk to do 14 days before competing in the single events. More like she will have a chance to test out Sochi's ice, changes she added to her program, and have a chance to correct any mistakes made during the team event. It could backfire, or she can totally benefit from competing early.

For the record, the SP for the individual competition for the Ladies discipline is on Feb 19, which is eleven days after the Ladies' SP for the team event on Feb 8.

Still an appreciable interval (esp. compared to other disciplines), but not as generous as fourteen days.

prettykeys

Medalist
I'm trying to be inclusive and include other female OG medalists who have since tried to return to competition... :p

Except for the fact that D/W haven't been beaten since 2012 and agruably should have won the World's before that. V/M's Free Dance is not as good either, so unless D/W have a melt down, they should win the Olympics.
I agree with this assessment.

Mao is only skating the SP for the team event. I doubt that would bea big risk to do [11] days before competing in the single events. More like she will have a chance to test out Sochi's ice, changes she added to her program, and have a chance to correct any mistakes made during the team event. It could backfire, or she can totally benefit from competing early.
Yes, I don't know why many people are automatically assuming that it's a bad thing. Considering most skaters do full run-throughs nearly everyday, I don't see how one competition at the same location is going to be particularly wearying and it may actually serve to work out some Olympic jitters.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Yeah, it's almost as if someone came along and offered someone an emerald and a sapphire, and instead of saying, "Wow, two awesome jewels!," the person said, "I like emeralds. That sapphire looks kind of dull." And someone else said, "Are you crazed? Everyone knows that emeralds are second-rate compared to sapphires"....As if there are other gems of this luster lying around on the ground everywhere we look.

I love this quote!

Unfortunately, "anonymous" actually replied to your quote in a sarcastic manner in the comment section of a particular--erm--blog, Olympia, in which they said:

anyone here want to have a laugh? because i just stumbled across the worst analogy ever (from goldenskate of course)

"“Yeah, it’s almost as if someone came along and offered someone an emerald and a sapphire, and instead of saying, “Wow, two awesome jewels!” the person said, “I like emeralds. That sapphire looks kind of dull.” And someone else said, “Are you crazed? Everyone knows that emeralds are second-rate compared to sapphires!” … As if there are other gems of this luster lying around on the ground everywhere we look.”

first of all, VM/DW are humans beings not precious gems, second of all, if you are oh so adamant to compare their SKATING to precious gems VM are more like diamonds and DW are more like cubic zirconia. some people may prefer cubic zirconia as it is a cheap and more accessible alternative to diamonds but nothing cant compare to diamonds because diamonds are forever. but alas even that analogy has its faults because at least cubic zirconia is VERSATILE.

"Nothing can't compare?"

Sigh. I'd say their own analogy is the "worst analogy ever." If you're going to be a smart*** and a rude little **** at least try and do it properly.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
In dance it is NEVER a good idea to save your best. If you lose a spot in a head to head competition it is HARD to get it back.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I love this quote!

Unfortunately, "anonymous" actually replied to your quote in a sarcastic manner in the comment section of a particular--erm--blog, Olympia, in which they said:

"Nothing can't compare?"

Sigh. I'd say their own analogy is the "worst analogy ever." If you're going to be a smart*** and a rude little **** at least try and do it properly.

This is a reason why I feel sorry for ubers, because they get so caught up in the "winning" they seem to miss everything else. And one thing someone should remind anonymous: even diamonds can have flaws.

I thought it was a fine analogy Olympia, and one with which I agreed wholeheartedly. To me, Marlie vs Voir has been one of the great sports rivalries of all times, and I feel damn lucky I was alive to watch it unfold.

Oh, one last thing--given the scheduling most of the dance teams have had with Grand Prix events, many of the teams have been skating two major events in back-to-back weeks or close to it. So it may be less of an issue than we might think.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Zoueva certainly believes it will not be an issue with the dancers. OTOH, if you really believe that peaking is important in training, something that several skaters,including Scott Moir, have mentioned, then there might be one. Chan feels that he needs a substantial recovery time.

If you watched Olympic gymnastics, you saw gymnasts who aced the team event and the all-around unable to hit their routines in the event finals. So some skaters may have problems - or not. It will be interesting to see.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
If you watched Olympic gymnastics, you saw gymnasts who aced the team event and the all-around unable to hit their routines in the event finals. So some skaters may have problems - or not. It will be interesting to see.

But that was also after three phases of competition with not as much recovery time and much more investment required from them in each phase (waiting/supporting teammates between events and the extra exhaustion that engenders as opposed to one all-or-nothing routine per session for figure skaters)

Kittosuni

Medalist
Unfortunately for asada, the OG is going to be more kim vs lipnitskaya. This might be even good for her, not too much pressure on her