Kirsten Moore-Towers vs Dylan Moscovitch: 2015 Skate Canada Challenge | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Kirsten Moore-Towers vs Dylan Moscovitch: 2015 Skate Canada Challenge

BlackPack

Medalist
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00000333.htm
Pang and Tong won silver in 2010. They were both over 30.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00007498.htm
Savchenko and Szolkowy won bronze in 2014. He was 34, she was 30.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013149.htm
Volosozhar & Trankov won in 2014. He was 30. She was 27.

Pair skaters can have quite long careers.

The Protopopovs competed in their 30s as well. They're STILL skating and performing, aren't they?

charmblade

Final Flight
Yes. Oleg had a stroke, but returned to Evening with Champions in 2014.

Just a quick note: the Protopopovs were on the schedule for Evening with Champions in 2014 but did not actually perform. I don't remember the exact reason given by Paul Wylie but it had to do with some medical issue, presumably the stroke? Hoping all is well with them now :)

BlackPack

Medalist
Shen won the long-awaited OGM at 31/32 and Zhao at 36/37.

Didn't Zhao beat the Protopopovs record for the oldest OGM?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just a quick note: the Protopopovs were on the schedule for Evening with Champions in 2014 but did not actually perform. I don't remember the exact reason given by Paul Wylie but it had to do with some medical issue, presumably the stroke? Hoping all is well with them now :)

The stroke was 2013.

They were scheduled again in 2014. I thought I had heard they made it this year?

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
If Kirsten suspects she may not achieve her ultimate goals with Dylan by 2018 against "identifiable teams" who currently stand in her way, what choice did she have?

Well there's the elephant in the room, isn't it? If she didn't feel she could achieve her ultimate goals by 2018 *with Dylan* but could with someone else? That takes the reasons away from age and puts it on caliber, doesn't it? Maybe people aren't speaking their mind about the implications, just circling around it. If she thinks she's better than him and he was the reason they plateau'd/he was the weak link in MTM. I believe the fans who might dispute that have a point.

Unless it was, I'm not going to achieve my ultimate goals by 2018 with Dylan or anyone, but maybe by putting in the groundwork now, I'll be in position to contend for the highest level for 2022 if my new partner and I put in the work starting now. I can't do that if I wait until 2018 to start a new partnership.

Issues with an eight year game plan aside, I think she and Dylan could have achieved some of their goals by 2014, not just 2018, by keeping pace with what their competitors were doing, the way it's usually done. Not just program content, but quality of execution. They were getting close in 2014 but could have been closer. JMO, but I think getting closer was well within their capabilities, and she in particular had still more work to do. The "they'd plateau'd" is a big ***? to me. But she went in another direction, so we'll see how the strategy unfolds I guess.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well there's the elephant in the room, isn't it? If she didn't feel she could achieve her ultimate goals by 2018 *with Dylan* but could with someone else? That takes the reasons away from age and puts it on caliber, doesn't it? Maybe people aren't speaking their mind about the implications, just circling around it. If she thinks she's better than him and he was the reason they plateau'd/he was the weak link in MTM. I believe the fans who might dispute that have a point.

He was certainly not a weak link in that partnership. It would be ironic if Moscovitch ended up getting greater success on the world stage than Moore-Towers with Marinaro... sure seems to be slated that way.

rvi5

On the Ice
...If she thinks she's better than him and he was the reason they plateau'd/he was the weak link in MTM. I believe the fans who might dispute that have a point.
That was item #4 on my possible explanation list in post 208. Everybody would likely disagree with the logic and argue what is true. However, I doubt Kirsten split for that reason.

...Unless it was, I'm not going to achieve my ultimate goals by 2018 with Dylan or anyone, but maybe by putting in the groundwork now, I'll be in position to contend for the highest level for 2022 if my new partner and I put in the work starting now. I can't do that if I wait until 2018 to start a new partnership...
Yes, that is my point exactly. What I believe is the most likely scenario (Item #5 on my list).

...I think she and Dylan could have achieved some of their goals by 2014, not just 2018, by keeping pace with what their competitors were doing, the way it's usually done...
The key word in your comment is "some". I suspect Kirsten may have had additional longer term goals which required action now (since she needed a partner who she could depend on for the long haul). Of course there is no guarantee she will ever fully achieve her goals, but she is determined to try.

https://twitter.com/kirsten_mt/status/551231203140202496

Was staying with Dylan the safety of the shore, and the ocean is the long term leap of faith path to her ultimate goal?

Last edited:

rvi5

On the Ice
...It would be ironic if Moscovitch ended up getting greater success on the world stage than Moore-Towers with Marinaro... sure seems to be slated that way.
Yes it appears that way, maybe until 2018. The Lubov/Dylan pairing shouldn't affect Kirsten/Michael beyond 2018 (if Dylan retires as anticipated). What would be ironic, is if Dylan decided/could stay with Lubov until 2022.

Last edited:

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
He was certainly not a weak link in that partnership. It would be ironic if Moscovitch ended up getting greater success on the world stage than Moore-Towers with Marinaro... sure seems to be slated that way.

He was definitely not the weak link. His skating has improved since the split, whereas Kirsten's, not so much. She even seems to have regressed. It's not the partner she should have changed to reach her goals, but the coaches.

sses1

On the Ice
Dylan's athleticism in the lifts always wowed me. Kirsten and him were very powerful but they were also beginning to stagnate. They skated to the same theatrical theme and their lifts didn't really change. They could never beat D/R. But I think the splits have been good because now we have I/M and they're a truly compelling pair something MT/M are not. I agree with the above poster MT/M need a coaching change badly as well as some new choreo but that's never going to happen and as a result they're going to take longer to develop.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
If she wants to reach her goals, which I'm guessing are World and Olympic medals, she needs to make other changes too. She is not going to reach those goals by keeping everything the same - same coaches and choreographer and doing pratically the same technical elements and type of programs as with Dylan. She needs to improve her lines, posture, lift positions etc. to reach that upper echelon. That's what makes the difference between a good pairs team and a great one, and at this point, they are just average.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Dylan's athleticism in the lifts always wowed me. Kirsten and him were very powerful but they were also beginning to stagnate. They skated to the same theatrical theme and their lifts didn't really change. They could never beat D/R. But I think the splits have been good because now we have I/M and they're a truly compelling pair something MT/M are not. I agree with the above poster MT/M need a coaching change badly as well as some new choreo but that's never going to happen and as a result they're going to take longer to develop.

If they wanted to beat D/R they needed better tech content, which is on her. Dylan was a pretty capable singles skater so he'd have no problem attempting harder SBS jumps, if she had been up to that (not that any female pairs skater is up for any SBS jump harder than 3S, other than Meaghan Duhamel.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@SkateTSN
Hugs backstage from Kirsten and Dylan after their first battle at Nationals
5:20 PM - 24 Jan 2015
https://twitter.com/SkateTSN/status/559158835978711043

Very happy to read this tweet. I always have believed that they parted ways amicably (contrary to the schadenfreude and negativity of many GS posts in this and other threads).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Very happy to read this tweet. I always have believed that they parted ways amicably (contrary to the schadenfreude and negativity of many GS posts in this and other threads).
:agree:

Aww.

Maybe this might be an unpopular opinion, after the outpouring of support for Dylan as the "dumped" partner, but honestly I thought both pairs skated very well at Nationals, considering how little time they've had. I/M have more interesting elements: Lubov's positions on the lifts, with the excellent arched back; Dylan's incredible strength; their entry into the death spiral, ect. However, M-T/M v.2 do deserve credit for executing their content very well. Even their weakest elements, the lifts, don't look that bad when they're not trying the ridiculous split entry. Michael does need to work on his SS, but Kirsten is still a joy to watch, and I see promise in this partnership as well.

tulosai

Record Breaker
:agree:

Aww.

Maybe this might be an unpopular opinion, after the outpouring of support for Dylan as the "dumped" partner, but honestly I thought both pairs skated very well at Nationals, considering how little time they've had. I/M have more interesting elements: Lubov's positions on the lifts, with the excellent arched back; Dylan's incredible strength; their entry into the death spiral, ect. However, M-T/M v.2 do deserve credit for executing their content very well. Even their weakest elements, the lifts, don't look that bad when they're not trying the ridiculous split entry. Michael does need to work on his SS, but Kirsten is still a joy to watch, and I see promise in this partnership as well.

I agree MTM2 skated well, but I don't agree that the lifts don't look that bad. I could have balanced my wine on his butt during the first lift in the FS, and it wasn't the split entry one. If they can improve the lifts though, and pick some better music, I agree they have promise.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
It's great that everyone seems happy and there are no hard feelings. Still, it must hurt to finish fourth and missing the Worlds team by less than a point with the best program they skated all season and without making visible mistakes.