2022 Canadian Nationals: Senior Pairs Free Skate | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2022 Canadian Nationals: Senior Pairs Free Skate

leilaraj

On the Ice
Why would an athlete withdraw from competition because they don't feel well enough to compete, just to stay in the arena and watch their competition while in the high of a pandemic?! Again, they chose to go the easy way to withdraw and possibly hoped others would fail. Pure provocation on J/R´s part and it backfired! It would be a shame if Canada sends them!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Why would an athlete withdraw from competition because they don't feel well enough to compete, just to stay in the arena and watch their competition while in the high of a pandemic?! Again, they chose to go the easy way to withdraw and possibly hoped others would fail. Pure provocation on J/R´s part and it backfired! It would be a shame if Canada sends them!
not at all... their teammates were competing. They probably not feel able to do a LP. They w/d : pairs is a very dangerous sport... what about those lifts coming up at the end of 4 minutes of intense cardio and power moves? I am glad that they didn't compete if they didn't feel they could do it. Being in there, is just to show support to the other teams they train with. Why not?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
anyways... if James and Radford recuperate and get their level back, they should go to the Olympics. That's my opinion and I am happy to state it loud and clear (and for the records, I was not one of the fans of this new pairing when it was announced... they convinced me throughout the season... they did much better than any other Canadian pair) ;)

Country
Norway
this is the one thing in life from my bucket list i have done yet.... i wanna see northern lightsssssss... i have been to iceland but during the summer (enjoyed the midnight sun)
It´s mine also. It´s very rare they are so far south as here, and they are not very strong. I have seen in like maybe 2-3 times in my lifetime, but it wasn´t really strong. But I got chills watching it so I can only imagine how it feels if you are watching endless of Aurora up north. Isn´t it possible to watch it north in Canada?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It´s mine also. It´s very rare they are so far south as here, and they are not very strong. I have seen in like maybe 2-3 times in my lifetime, but it wasn´t really strong. But I got chills watching it so I can only imagine how it feels if you are watching endless of Aurora up north. Isn´t it possible to watch it north in Canada?
yes... it's possible... but i live pretty much in the worst place to watch them... right downtown in a large southern city ;)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The cat in your avatar picture is gorgeous.
It's one of them. I've got another one just like her (they're both Russian Blues) but alas has become a little too fat - and believe me the fat one eats much less!

LadyB

Record Breaker
They both had covid and had just resumed training (vanessa tested positive on 23rd and eric on the 26th... so they had to isolate and only started training a couple days ago). Same with maxime and Lori-Ann. All train with Julie Marcotte who also tested positive. So, these 3 pairs have not been able to train properly. WHo knows how tired they feel... most people do not get too sick and can resume competing (like Nadal and Shapovalov who are playing tennis just out of their isolation period)... but yeah... it's a different beast for every one.

Please read the explanation by 4everchan above.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
I've seen them many times in Manitoba - out on the prairies about 50 miles from Winnipeg in the summer and around Thompson and Churchill in the Winter. I think everyone needs to see them. They are spectacular. I've never seen them in Ottawa, though which is where I live.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
EW: We skated with our hearts and we tried to block out the outside noise going on right now because there is a lot of it and we are just really satisfied. TM: There were a couple tiny little bobbles but we are still super happy.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
KMT: Our goal was to go into Beijing as Canadian champions and we wish that the whole event skated today so that we could have had that chance but this is a mission accomplished today for us. MM: Now, we get three weeks to build.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congrats to M-T/M on a fine competition! :)

They've solidified themselves as worthy of being in the team event too.

While J/R's WD was very unfortunate, they've been close to the podium and produced FAR better international results than W/M.

J/R's last 4 internationals have scored higher than W/M scored at Nationals with Nationals scoring. W/M made errors in both Nationals programs and didn't hit any of their SBS jumps. J/R are clearly the sensible choice if they recover.

rain

Record Breaker
anyways... if James and Radford recuperate and get their level back, they should go to the Olympics. That's my opinion and I am happy to state it loud and clear (and for the records, I was not one of the fans of this new pairing when it was announced... they convinced me throughout the season... they did much better than any other Canadian pair) ;)
Canada does not need J/R, who have shown the potential to fall on multiple jumps/throws, put down lifts and even completely abort a twist out of nowhere, at the Olympics. Evelyn and Trennt earned that second spot. It would be a scandal if J/R got named.
I have to agree with 4everchan. Walsh/Michaud had a terrible, and I mean terrible season. It was incredibly uplifting to see them skate so well here. But.... James/Radford did have the best season and the international judges will give them more of the benefit of the doubt than they will Walsh/Michaud. Fair or not, that's just the way it it. Walsh/Michaud don't have any standout elements that are suddenly going to catch the judges' eye, and we have no more reason to think they'll perform any more consistently than James/Radford (both are a bit of a roll of the dice — actually all three teams including MT/M are), so reputation matters.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Fact: Walsh/Michaud's personal best score internationally ever is 177.58 (2020 4CC). James/Radford, a brand new team, have beaten that score in all 5 of their international events all season. I mean, there's NO question in my mind James/Radford deserve the second spot.

Here are their 2021-2022 results:

James/Radford:
CS Zagreb: 187.57 - 4th (their only head to head against W/M)
CS Finlandia: 190.58 - 5th
CS Autumn Classic: 184.01 - 2nd
GP CAN: 187.92 - 4th
GP FRA: 196.34 - 4th

Walsh/Michaud:
CS Zagreb: 168.87 - 9th
GP USA: 147.61 - 8th (they were last by over 27 points)
GP JPN: 167.98 - 7th

W/M's score of 186.52 at Nationals (with beneficial Nationals scoring) is still only better than J/R's Autumn Classic showing. Certainly on the Grand Prix J/R wayyyy outperformed them with two 4th places (could've been bronzes if not for silly errors), compared to last and second-last for W/M.

I get some people just dislike Vanessa and Eric for stuff that happened with their former partners, and use that as "justification" for W/M deserving the second spot, but if Skate Canada is smart they will go with J/R.

Last edited:

Balloon

On the Ice
I agree J/R deserve it.
some say W/M are the future.
I ask will he stay with her after this season, skating well at Nationals is the fame. And can’t say that after a ‘clean’ free skate they are being scored high. I’m sure everyone saw the US pair team scores this week.
Canada has had very slim pair field this last quad. I suspect with these younger pairs potential we maybe in for a change next quad.