Knee Slide Pain | Golden Skate

Knee Slide Pain

Myblade

Rinkside
I've seen so many skaters do knee slides/spins & lunges without knee pads, but I cannot seem to be able to do it without kneepads on. It just hurts so bad, which confuses me because I have a high pain tolerance in all other aspects. Could it be my knees are just shaped weird? How do I get used to it? I have one in my program and I wore slim gel knee pads during competition but I'd like to be able to do it pad-free.

jayy

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I've seen so many skaters do knee slides/spins & lunges without knee pads, but I cannot seem to be able to do it without kneepads on. It just hurts so bad, which confuses me because I have a high pain tolerance in all other aspects. Could it be my knees are just shaped weird? How do I get used to it? I have one in my program and I wore slim gel knee pads during competition but I'd like to be able to do it pad-free.
There could be different reasons for this. The quality of the ice could be very rough and if there are lots of ruts, then knee slides can be very very painful. Another thing is that depending how you go into your knee slide, then you might be putting a lot of pressure onto your knees. From my experience, the closer to the ice you start your knee slide, the less it hurts. I start my knee slides in a drag, and then turn for my knee slide. Another thing that I have discovered is that how I actually do the knee slide. If I am leaning in a certain direction, the slide becomes easier and less painful. I do my knee slide leaning over one side with my hand on the ice, and then I have less weight distributed between my knees. I also try to reduce the pressure on my Knees themselves, and try to use my lower leg to support my weight. (I am still coming off a knee injury so I need to be careful) But practicing the knee slide over clean, undented ice surface can help you find your sweet spot for knee slides.

You got this!