Konstantin Menshov | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Konstantin Menshov

Catlau

On the Ice

:laugh: In addition, it's terrible to take pictures just in front of a mirror... Who is the photographer ? I don't recognize him... :reye:

http://fsrussia.ru/news/1510-konsta...deli-kak-ya-tut-na-trenirovkakh-katalsya.html
He said that his trainings in Japan were absolutely terrible, but before the skates he had collected one's thoughts and performed a decent skate (comparing to his trainings...)

Thanks a lot !
When I have a little time, I'll try to understand why the trainings were that horrible... :noshake:

Catlau

On the Ice
Russian nationals 2016 :

* SP : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE0yLHl4XMY
Too bad for the fall on the triple Axel ! :eeking:

* FP : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTVUUEZPewM
One fall again and too many mistakes... :sad46:
Too bad : his FP is one of my very favorite this season... :sad21:

Konstantin seemed to have problems with his left arm : he tried to "protect" it when he fell and he did not use it when he saluted. Maybe he was not at his best.

Well, this season was not really a great one for "silver foxes"... :(

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think he dislocated his shoulder? And not for the first time. :drama: I could hardly watch...and yeah, my poor silver foxes. I wonder if my custom title jinxed them. :cry:

LRK

Record Breaker
Kostya's LP is definitely one of my favourites this season - in fact, I hope he keeps it for next (even if that is not the "proper" thing to wish for.:))

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I can't read it myself, but the person who posted it on Twitter is Russian, so I took her word for it. Maybe it was a false alarm...

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
I can't read it myself, but the person who posted it on Twitter is Russian, so I took her word for it. Maybe it was a false alarm...

me too but first word there "Munhell". google says this is Gastronomic restaurant. really false alarm :)
but may be soon it will be real

Last edited:

Catlau

On the Ice
A little question that often comes to my mind about skaters that can not participate to the "big" international competitions, because their results were not good enough in their national championships : what do they do as skaters until the end of the season ?
Some "minor" international competitions will take place. And there are some shows (like Art on ice)that are going on.

If we take Konstantin's case : he doesn't seem to be scheduled at the Bavarian open or any competition like that. Does anybody know if he will appear in a show or in a competition before the end of the season ?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
A little question that often comes to my mind about skaters that can not participate to the "big" international competitions, because their results were not good enough in their national championships : what do they do as skaters until the end of the season ?
Some "minor" international competitions will take place. And there are some shows (like Art on ice)that are going on.

If we take Konstantin's case : he doesn't seem to be scheduled at the Bavarian open or any competition like that. Does anybody know if he will appear in a show or in a competition before the end of the season ?

I thought he might compete at the Cup of Russia Final this week, but he isn't on the list, so I take it that he's decided to end his season. :no: Maybe he is thinking about whether he wants to continue at all. I hope he will, but at 33 and after his not-so-great result at Nationals, I know it must be a difficult decision.

I hope he will at least have some opportunities for shows in the off season.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Happy birthday, Kostya! :hb: I hope we'll hear something about his future plans soon (skating related or otherwise!)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well, it's not like I didn't see it coming, but Kostya has decided to retire:

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/article-item/907443

Very thoughtful interview. I'm sad, but as long as he stays involved in the sport, then that's a good thing. Hope we will see him in the kiss'n'cry sometime in the near future. I'm sure he will be a wonderful coach with his mellow personality.

Spiral

Final Flight
It’s interesting that he writes several times that he may well return after the Olympics, presumably if his hand injuries heal, because he says it’s hard to skate with both hands injured, even if he can do quads.

I fully agree with Silverfoxes that he’ll most likely make a wonderful coach, but it makes me feel very sad that I may not see another program from him. But if it’s because of injuries, I totally understand and agree. No career is worth ruining one’s health. However, I disagree with him that he’s been trying to forcefully enter closed gates. Judges at GPs have shown that they were prepared to place him highly when he skated cleanly. It wasn’t their fault if he couldn’t skate both programs cleanly. As to why, it’s also no mystery to me. I’ve often seen it that a nervous skater bombs the SP and then, when he knows that all is lost and there’s nothing to be nervous anymore, he relaxes and skates a clean LP. Or vice versa: a skater comes into a competition without great expectations, consequently he isn’t nervous and skates a great SP. But once he’s placed highly and realizes he can win a medal, he starts to feel the pressure to skate cleanly, which prevents him from achieving just that. Regarding the focus on the young by the Rus Fed, it may not have a choice, what with Kovtun quite unstable and Pitkeev with an injured back :(. There was a time when the Fed almost gave up on Voronov, but once he started producing clean, competitive skates, the Fed was happy to award him medals at Nationals and send him to Euros and Worlds, although he was by no means a youngster by fs standards. But if the injury is the main reason, as Konstantin states, then there’s no more to say, other than Thank You for his long and inspired career as a figure skater.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
However, I disagree with him that he’s been trying to forcefully enter closed gates.

I have a feeling the "closed gates" he was referring to was his own standing within the federation and the blatant favoritism going on within. They've been trying to get rid of Kostya for years.