Ladies' bodysuits? | Golden Skate

Ladies' bodysuits?

dutchherder

Final Flight
Since Olympic Ice was discussing fashion on the ice last night, it got me wondering: how do you all feel about the new rule allowing the women to wear bodysuits instead of skirts?:think:

Linny

Final Flight
Love it

Love the bodysuits. Hate wedgies. No wedgies with bodysuits.
Linny

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I like them as you can see line better. I would love to se the SP's for ladies, mens and pairs done like the CD in ice dance. Everyone skating the same thing to the same music in bodysuits. It would make it much easier to compare.

rain

Record Breaker
I think it's good for the ladies to have the option. Some of them (such as Pang of Pang/Tong) look better in the bodysuit than in a dress. Some ladies can really rock the skirts.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I don't like body suit.
But the best on in body suit, imo, is Yukari from Japan.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Eh, I don't really like them. Wouldn't wear one myself. They look passable on some figures, those who are extremely slim all over. On anyone with curves or muscle definition, they're kind of ugh.

sk8addict

On the Ice
depends

Like everything else, it depends on who is wearing it & how it is designed. Personally I hated the coresponding rule that said men couldn't wear tights. Boitano:clap: :clap: & Rohene Ward:rock: :rock: both looked great in tights.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
dutchherder said:
Since Olympic Ice was discussing fashion on the ice last night, it got me wondering: how do you all feel about the new rule allowing the women to wear bodysuits instead of skirts?:think:

I love it and I wish Sasha would consider a program wearing one. There is a shot of her in one of the 'model' poses on her website wearing her skates in bell bottoms-I think she'd look great! They would really accent her gorgeous lines.

rob43 said:
Long live Debbie Thomas.

That's right! Debi is the Grand Dame Of Body Suits! She ROCKED her 1988 Olympic SP in a body suit-and some of the judges nailed her for it imo.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
sk8addict said:
Like everything else, it depends on who is wearing it & how it is designed. Personally I hated the coresponding rule that said men couldn't wear tights. Boitano:clap: :clap: & Rohene Ward:rock: :rock: both looked great in tights.

And Alexander Zhulin looked so dang good in them I KNOW that's why the rule went into effect... :laugh: :laugh: I agree -- I think if the ladies are allowed to wear bodysuits, the men should be allowed to wear tights.

I think the main factor in regarding ladies wearing bodysuits (and men wearing tights, for that matter) is, it depends on what you're skating to. As Debi Thomas said when she wore hers in '88, and she was right, "My music is kind of rocked-out so a skirt would look funny with it." If you're skating to BerlinTechnoFestAufDerLieben, wear a bodysuit. If you're skating to "Giselle", wear a skirt.

John King

Final Flight
Favorite ladies in a bodysuit?Elena Sokolova,Tatiana Totmianina,Lucinda Ruh and Annika Hansen.;)

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
As long as they are a bit "bootcuted" or cover the entire skate, I´t's fine by me. But when Kwan wears (ok not tights, but the skincolored thing everyone wears but I do not know the english word for ;) ) them over half the skate, not all of it, it just looks awful. Like two sausages sticking out of her body with skates attached...not very flattering..

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Engwaciriel said:
As long as they are a bit "bootcuted" or cover the entire skate, I´t's fine by me. But when Kwan wears (ok not tights, but the skincolored thing everyone wears but I do not know the english word for ;) ) them over half the skate, not all of it, it just looks awful. Like two sausages sticking out of her body with skates attached...not very flattering..

The skin colored ones are called tights. :)

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I think the bodysuit is a good look for the shorter girls, it gives them a longer body line. I often thought the short legs did not look flattering with the boot and skirt. I particularly like Irina in a bodysuit - it vastly improves her body line and makes her skating look more elegant. I have lobsided legs like Irina (or at least I think they are) and I always think I look better in pants and I think Irina looks better in pants too, I think this also would have looked nice on Michelle so I'm happy for them that they have the option. I don't like the pants as much on long legged skaters because they start to appear ginormous on the ice.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
It depends on the style and the shape of the girl... but I think that a monochromatic suit can really make a statement. I always think the girls look lovely wearing all black pants and a leotard when practicing. When I was on dance team in hs we always wore black from head to toe to make perfecting and polishing easier.

CDMM1991

Medalist
I don't think this is considered a body suit but the outfit with pants that Fumie Suguri wore last year for her long program was very flattering for her, and I thought it fit the program well.