Ladies Finals: Am I the only one who.... | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies Finals: Am I the only one who....

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
maybe, but well, on the other hand, they may be cheering for someone to lose so that their favorite can win. It doesn't mean they don't like any other skaters. That's why I don't get this way of thinking.
Red Dog, why would anyone cheer for someone to lose so their skater can win. I would think that if you did that then you don't have much confidence in your skater. As we have discussed we all have favorites or are die hard fans of certain skaters. I say good for them.

Let me make this perfectly clear-- I am not pushing that everyone has to like Cohen whether she is a good person or a little snot like you keep bringing up. That I don't understand at all. You have said this at least 20 times and I got it!! I think I got it the first time you said it. :laugh: :laugh:

Right now we are not talking about liking or disliking skaters. We are talking about being figure skating fans who enjoy good competitions without all the trash talk about skaters being ugly, being fat, falling, thick thighs, ugly costumes and wishing bad luck to them.

Dee

lutzloop

Spectator
I went to two practices to see Sasha at worlds.. At the first one, she was the only skater who didn't show up...it was the day before the long program. I then went to the practice the day of the long program and she did show up. I watched her the entire time and she spent the practice doing single jumps and skating slowly without any focus and direction. I also watched her in the qualifying, short and long program warmups and competition. It was the same thing. There is something not right with her. She was very sluggish and looked absolutely exhausted. She didn't talk to her coach and basically did her own thing.

I couldn't help but wonder if there was something physically wrong. In the last year, she has lost a lot of weight to the point that you can count all of her ribs both from the front and the back. Based upon by personal knowledge of other skaters who were diagnosed with eating disorders, I really have to wonder if she is facing similar challenges. I am very worried about her because her spark and attack were seriously missing from worlds. Hopefully, it is something far more simple....just plain tiredness from a very long season. I truly hope that is the case as I am a huge Sasha fan.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
password said:
this has nothing to do with anything...but what does it mean when someone types...'IIRC' ?
I think it means--If I remember correctly.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Red Dog, why would anyone cheer for someone to lose so their skater can win. I would think that if you did that then you don't have much confidence in your skater. As we have discussed we all have favorites or are die hard fans of certain skaters. I say good for them.

Let me make this perfectly clear-- I am not pushing that everyone has to like Cohen whether she is a good person or a little snot like you keep bringing up. That I don't understand at all. You have said this at least 20 times and I got it!! I think I got it the first time you said it. :laugh: :laugh:

Right now we are not talking about liking or disliking skaters. We are talking about being figure skating fans who enjoy good competitions without all the trash talk about skaters being ugly, being fat, falling, thick thighs, ugly costumes and wishing bad luck to them.

Dee

I can see it but remember, if skating is to be considered a sport such thought should be allowed, right? Otherwise I was truly right all along. JMO.

I went to two practices to see Sasha at worlds.. At the first one, she was the only skater who didn't show up...it was the day before the long program. I then went to the practice the day of the long program and she did show up. I watched her the entire time and she spent the practice doing single jumps and skating slowly without any focus and direction. I also watched her in the qualifying, short and long program warmups and competition. It was the same thing. There is something not right with her. She was very sluggish and looked absolutely exhausted. She didn't talk to her coach and basically did her own thing.

I couldn't help but wonder if there was something physically wrong. In the last year, she has lost a lot of weight to the point that you can count all of her ribs both from the front and the back. Based upon by personal knowledge of other skaters who were diagnosed with eating disorders, I really have to wonder if she is facing similar challenges. I am very worried about her because her spark and attack were seriously missing from worlds. Hopefully, it is something far more simple....just plain tiredness from a very long season. I truly hope that is the case as I am a huge Sasha fan.

Interesting. Thanks for posting that. Maybe she should give it up after all.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
sarahmistral said:
Answer: posters who talk about doing happy dances and other things they won't mention "to be polite" when watching Sasha fall, and then turn around and ask, disingenuously, why they should be called haters for rooting for Kimmie. :rolleye: Sigh. Sad state of affairs. And great posts, Doggygirl, kyla2, Rgirl, Dee, Joe, and others putting down this nonsense.

Off to threads started in a more positive spirit...

Sarah m.

First off, thank you Sarah m. for your comment about my posts.

I think I am the same kind of fan that you and Susanbeth have recently mentioned (and others have mentioned this too - I agree with all who share this philosophy!!) I love the sport. I love to see all of the competitors perform to the best of their abilities. That is my "dream" competition - where EVERY competitor is the best they can be.

I am never happy to see a competitor fall. When they do - which is part of this sport - I always find myself hoping that they can get up and be "OK" and skate on. I may question issues surrounding the rules. i.e. the very scary fall that the Zhangs had at Oly's, and the subsequent referee / judging situation that ensued. I believe that situation occured within the current rules, and I hope those rules are reviewed in terms of balancing skater safety with fair "play on the field." But I certainly wasn't "happy" about that fall, any more than I was happy about any other fall - whether more or less dramatic.

I really don't get "skating fans" who have such devotion to a "favorite" that they have hopes (or happy dances or whatever) for falls or major mistakes by competitors. Especially when said mistakes could result in injury, etc.

I also don't get people claiming to be FS fans, while thinking that at every turn, there is a Vast Conspiracy For Crooked Judging / Technical Calling. I am fully aware that the sport of FS has rightfully earned it's place in having this sort of thing questioned. But really - if one has no faith at all that most of the judges / callers are doing their best - why watch? (said with obvious Rose Colored Glasses Firmly In Place - I Suppose ;))

Red Dog - since you are primarily a fan of the Ladies, I'd love to hear who you liked from World's or Oly's beyond the top 6 in either competition.

I will close by saying that I'm sort of :scratch: by a primary topic in the World's Thread being about how the Gold Medal winner of Men's Wuzrobbed. That's really a new one on me. I suppose if a 1/4 rotation on an axel is the dominant "wuzrobbed" topic this year, then the NJS really is an improvement.

Lutzloop - '05 US Nats was my first and only live competition (and it was AWESOME!!). It was clear from watching many practices (all groups / all diciplines) that this ISN'T home ice practice. There is strategy involved on many levels - different for each skater. There are also other considerations - healthwise, etc. I would not assume from a few practices at a major competition ANYTHING about how a skater may or may not be training at home. From what I saw in practices, many of the top contenders did not appear at "early in the week" practices, and very few ever did anything close to a full run through. For me, the fun of getting up frightfully early and dragging my rear to the rink was watching "everything else" that was going on.

I too am off to find more positive threads. I'm still hoping someone will join me in the EVAN - 2X World Medalist thread!! <hint> ;)

DG

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
jsteam4501s said:
Frau Muller, let me put it this way - the only reason my ceiling is still intact is that I hit it with my FEET instead of my HEAD!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It wasn't because she passed Sasha - I like Sasha a lot, and Fumie, too.

It was because I am the biggest DARN Kimmie fan on this planet!!

Gimmie Kimmie!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

I decided to re-quote my own post because nobody paid any attention to it:frown:
In light of what's been said since I posted it, I want everyone to read it this time.
My career as a sports humorist is on the line.:laugh: :laugh:
That first paragraph about the ceiling is the line I'm talking about.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's clear to me that there's still some sensitivity in many people coming out of all this post-Worlds talk. The way some people are carrying on you'd think it was Sashafans. What happened has happened, let's leave it in the past everyone and focus on what actually happened and how it bodes for the future. JMO

Gimmie Kimmie, indeed. You can have her, I'll gladly give her to you :p and for you doubters, remember I'm in Maryland ;)

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
jsteam4501s said:
I decided to re-quote my own post because nobody paid any attention to it:frown:
In light of what's been said since I posted it, I want everyone to read it this time.
My career as a sports humorist is on the line.:laugh: :laugh:
That first paragraph about the ceiling is the line I'm talking about.

I propose a new nickname for Kimmie - KimmyKitty. Because she has an uncanny Kitty sort of way of nearly always landing on her feet. An AWESOME quality for a figure skater!! Congrats KimmyKitty - and keep landin' on your feet!! You have a bright future. I would love to be you at Sweet 16!!!!! :rock:

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
Gimmie Kimmie, indeed. You can have her, I'll gladly give her to you :p and for you doubters, remember I'm in Maryland ;)

Well, that's OK, I've known your opinion of Kimmie's skating for quite some time; but in keeping with my wish for a future career as a sports stand-up comic, I guess since you are in Maryland, you might have been the one who arranged for Kimmie to be greeted at the Baltimore airport THIS time by an old bearded guy driving a yellow cab and presenting Kimmie with a paper plate with a partially-eaten slice of pizza and one chocolate chip cookie, and a note saying
"From the Bel Air City Council:

Sorry, but our budget was heavily strained on your welcome back from the Olympics."

As a non-Kimmie fan, can you maybe work up a LITTLE laughter at the above?
It would be helpful to my future stand-up career.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Red Dog - since you are primarily a fan of the Ladies, I'd love to hear who you liked from World's or Oly's beyond the top 6 in either competition.

I watched only the ESPN coverage for Worlds so we didn't get much beyond the top six in that case.

For the Olympics, no one really stood out to me there. I said before that it was a rather underwhelming competition...I don't remember anyone making me go wow, that was great. But I do think there were a few I liked while waiting for the big guns- Tugba, Kiira Korpi, and what's her name- Elene Gedevanishvilli (or whatever- I'll never be able to pronounce- or spell- that name). I can't remember anyone else right now, so that likely means that they didn't interest me much.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
jsteam4501s said:
Well, that's OK, I've known your opinion of Kimmie's skating for quite some time; but in keeping with my wish for a future career as a sports stand-up comic, I guess since you are in Maryland, you might have been the one who arranged for Kimmie to be greeted at the Baltimore airport THIS time by an old bearded guy driving a yellow cab and presenting Kimmie with a paper plate with a partially-eaten slice of pizza and one chocolate chip cookie, and a note saying

Sorry, but our budget was heavily strained on your welcome back from the Olympics."

As a non-Kimmie fan, can you maybe work up a LITTLE laughter at the above?
It would be helpful to my future stand-up career.

LOL!! Is there any way you can send that cab driver, with the half eaten cold piece of pizza in hand to MY house? Now?? I. Am. Hungry. ;) Red Dog can have the cookie. (or Kimmie can!)

Best wishes with your career - I <heart> light hearted posts!! (but I'm totally serious about that half eaten cold slice of pizza. Especially if it's GOOD pizza....)

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
I propose a new nickname for Kimmie - KimmyKitty. Because she has an uncanny Kitty sort of way of nearly always landing on her feet. An AWESOME quality for a figure skater!! Congrats KimmyKitty - and keep landin' on your feet!! You have a bright future. I would love to be you at Sweet 16!!!!! :rock:

I still prefer "Airplane Arms" - her nickname from FSU. :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: yeah, sounds roughly like how she really was greeted...:laugh: j/k

don't take offense to my comments about Kimmie though. You seem to be a good fan of hers, but I just don't get "it" from her skating. Not something I can force, just something I feel. And it's perfectly all right. Hopefully there are no hard feelings.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:

That's a nice one, Doggygirl - I was also thinking of "Hemi Charger Kimmie" or even just "Hemi Meissner" because her long program brings to mind a sudden burst of acceleration by a 1968 Dodge Charger 426 Hemi -
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
LOL!! Is there any way you can send that cab driver, with the half eaten cold piece of pizza in hand to MY house? Now?? I. Am. Hungry. ;) Red Dog can have the cookie. (or Kimmie can!)

Sure, why not? I sure don't want it...:laugh:

And Kimmie can have the cookie (or maybe she can share it with jsteam4501s ;) )...I'm off to buy my OWN hot pizza!! :laugh:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I watched only the ESPN coverage for Worlds so we didn't get much beyond the top six in that case.

For the Olympics, no one really stood out to me there. I said before that it was a rather underwhelming competition...I don't remember anyone making me go wow, that was great. But I do think there were a few I liked while waiting for the big guns- Tugba, Kiira Korpi, and what's her name- Elene Gedevanishvilli (or whatever- I'll never be able to pronounce- or spell- that name). I can't remember anyone else right now, so that likely means that they didn't interest me much.

Hey Red Dog. I know you have threatened to abandon Figure Skating Fandom post Oly's. I can't even imagine the next several many years without you!! What will it take to convince you that the Mens and Pairs events might have some exciting stuff going on? What will it take for you to adventure into Dance Fandom? But on your favorite ladies, what do you think of Sarah Meier? Nakano? Can Katy catch them? Can Emily stay in this hunt? Will Elena (Sokolova) be back? Where will Mao and Yu-Na figure in? (Kimmie speculation is already getting dull for me...and not due to Kimmie! - I think she can take them all) What veterans will be back? How will they do? OH MY!! And then there are STILL Elene, Kiira, etc. to consider.

My point is...I really enjoy your posts. You like to say a lot. I'm trying to give you ideas about how to have a lot more to say. Keeping your sights on only a handful (or less) of ladies skaters seems rather limiting. AND...I hope you get to go to a live competition some time. I really didn't think it would be such a big deal (difference)...until I DID go. It's an awesome experience IMO!! ;)

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Hey Red Dog. I know you have threatened to abandon Figure Skating Fandom post Oly's. I can't even imagine the next several many years without you!! What will it take to convince you that the Mens and Pairs events might have some exciting stuff going on? What will it take for you to adventure into Dance Fandom? But on your favorite ladies, what do you think of Sarah Meier? Nakano? Can Katy catch them? Can Emily stay in this hunt? Will Elena (Sokolova) be back? Where will Mao and Yu-Na figure in? (Kimmie speculation is already getting dull for me...and not due to Kimmie! - I think she can take them all) What veterans will be back? How will they do? OH MY!! And then there are STILL Elene, Kiira, etc. to consider.

My point is...I really enjoy your posts. You like to say a lot. I'm trying to give you ideas about how to have a lot more to say. Keeping your sights on only a handful (or less) of ladies skaters seems rather limiting. AND...I hope you get to go to a live competition some time. I really didn't think it would be such a big deal (difference)...until I DID go. It's an awesome experience IMO!! ;)

DG

hey, thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. I enjoy your posts as well, here and on FSU. As far as I'm concerned, actually, you and MM are our number-crunchers :laugh:

A lot of the questions you post are great Off-Season Debate Topics. I already started the first one in the Edge, titled "Can Kimmie Keep Up The Momentum?" But you said you're tired of Kimmie speculation, and that's understandable. I suppose I could be getting tired of it myself :laugh: ;) but what I'm TRULY tired of are all the Sasha comments. I've contributed to it some, yes, but I'm almost at the point where I actually wish she would retire just so that they would slow down. :eek: ok, maybe that was a little harsh, but you know what I mean...

I wanted to see Sarah Meier's Worlds FS performance- the one everyone was raving about but I think I missed it. I MIGHT have it in my video library...I need to check and then watch it when I have some time.

The ones to watch will likely be the Young Ones. I think we are/will be witnessing a true Changing of the Guard as the top contenders get younger again and the Veterans retire. Kimmie's win IMO started that trend.

Elena S. seems to be a Hot and Cold skater. I can't really tell if she is going to make it all the way back but she was once a World Silver Medallist. Although 4th is big improvement over last year (and even the Olys), she DID compete in a relatively watered-down field. She may be the wild card (the one to carry the Russian pride after Irina is gone) or she may fizzle and bye-bye goes the Russian Lady Dominance, at least for now.

I think E. Hughes has some work to do before she's up with the top contenders. But like Big Sister, I think her time will come (if she allows it to come). Or maybe I should say if the Skate Gods have that magical skate in her future destiny.

As for everyone else, no one really interests me...sadly. Unless there's a breakout star I think that'll be it for me. And I'm banking on Kimmie hopefully to get some personality out there on the ice...pronto...how about transferring her bubbly off-ice personality onto the ice? that would be really cool! But I wouldn't count on it.

The Veterans- specifically MK and Irina- they just seem to be hanging on for dear life. Sooner or later they will have to cut their losses and recognize they're just not going to get that Oly gold they so want. Sad, but the Skate Gods have already decided it's not for them. They have just about every other title anyway, and both of them can be put up there with the greats in figure skating IMO.

And other vets- how about Arakawa? I think after the OGM she's going to run. She already has a World championship so unless she TRULY enjoys skating (and I heard from several interviews that she doesn't) I think we've seen the last of her. She might do Japanese shows but that's about it I think.

Or Cohen? There's one who TRULY needs to think her career over. IMO, she should cut her losses and move onto something she actually enjoys. Competition is not for her. Besides, she never struck me as one who skated purely for the joy of it.

I don't think I'll ever have the money nor desire to go to a skating competition. I think if I were to go to a sporting event it would be a football game or basketball game first :laugh: yup, I'm a true SPORTS fan :laugh:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
WOO HOO!! Let's talk about Dodges!!

jsteam4501s said:
That's a nice one, Doggygirl - I was also thinking of "Hemi Charger Kimmie" or even just "Hemi Meissner" because her long program brings to mind a sudden burst of acceleration by a 1968 Dodge Charger 426 Hemi -
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

The '68 you mention is IMO, quite hot. ;) What great memories...

My fondest Dodge memory is from 1995, where I attended the Skip Barber Driver School in Sebring FL for the second year. 1994 was a BMW year. 1995 was a Dodge year. I'm sorry, but there is nothing I can say about a BMW from 1994 (that I got to drive) that even comes close to driving a 6-speed, track outfitted Viper in 1995. LOL - Camille's feathers (in my own imagination!!) couldn't even come close to the sensitivity and fun of the clutch in that car. Or the speed. Or the fact that it was red. HOT red. Or the fact that I was driving it, for 2 full laps - (but it might as well have been the Tropicana 400 for me. ;) )

OK - back to that '68 Charger. Shit. If Kimmie doesn't want it, I want to talk to her a bit and convince her to hand it over to me. ;) I'll trade her for something equivalent, like my lawnmower or some other really cool motorized vehicle. :p

Now I'm feeling bad that I'm not a DodgieGirl any more. (I'm a total Ford F350 DieselGirl these days....)

DG

antmanb

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Agree partially but COME ON- not a real fan because they are happy Sasha lost?!! This reminds me of those Kwanfans who think that just because one doesn't post favorable about Kwan, he/she is a hater and not a true fan! I'm sorry but this strikes a chord in me... Now, this is not to say I agree with those posting these remarks- I don't- but posting it once or twice IMO isn't bad- it's just expressing a feeling they had. I have no problem at all saying I really didn't want her to win (although I didn't quite bank on her performing the worst FS of her career). It's when a poster says it REPEATEDLY in multiple threads that I say are mean-spirited. I suppose it depends on how the comment is phrased as well...But if you are a fan of one skater it shouldn't be much of an issue if you cheer when the skater's competitors falter. It's not PC, such comments are typically frowned upon but but absolutely horrendous (when said the first time anyway). But then again, I'm one to really say what I think, so...

To me its simple - if you are sat watching a competition and actively hoping someone falls so that another skater can win (unless you are related to/married to/going out with the skater you want to win) you are not that nice of a person. If you then come on a public figure skating board and express an opinion that you were happy that the skater fell because you dislike that skater and/or it allowed a skater you like more to win, then i think that makes you a vile mean spirited person who can't really be a fan of skating (they are merely a fan of a skater).

Why do you care RD - you're not a fan!!!

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Red Dog, I mean in general a fan of figure skating not any particular skater. I think if you're a figure skating fan then you are all for all the skaters because you know what they have to go through to be a competitive skater. To me a true figure skating fan does not wish someone to fall or to have a total melt down just so their skater will win and to say I hope Skater A doesn't win, that's just mean. Where's the sportmanship in that? I think all the skaters deserve some respect.

Dee

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I totally agree
Ant