Ladies Free Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free Skate

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
kyla2 said:
I haven't seen the Skate America competition but I can tell you this right now, no one is going to take Kimmie Meissner's place in the third spot at Nationals. Ain't gonna happen.
If Kwan doesn't compete at Worlds, it's going to take a very strong finish by the US Ladies #3 in her first senior Worlds to qualify for three Ladies for Tokyo Worlds.

Vash01

Medalist
If all the young US ladies skate clean, the 3rd Oly spot will go to Kimmie Meissner.It is hers to lose and right now I don't see anyone challenging her. I love Bebe, but she rarely skates a clean LP. Alissa is gorgeous in the spin department but she is very inconsistent in jumps. Emily is an enigma at this point. Last year at USN she looked so strong. May be she is just regaining her strength after a serious illness. None of these lovely to watch ladies have the difficult jumps or the content Kimmie has. Kimmie is not my most favorite young US lady, but I think she is the safest bet for the Olympics. If Kwan does not go to worlds (very likely), Kimmie will be very solid at the number two spot. The battle between Bebe, Alissa and Emily should be very exciting at the nationals.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Kuchana said:
Alissa's skating was amazing even with the fall. I just had to download and watch her program after all the talk about it:) I love, LOVE her spirals and spins!!! She certainly has the potential to vie for the top. I haven't gotten this excited since Michellle first came out.

Where'd you download the program from? I still haven't seen it ... much to my dismay!

anya_angie

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Hey Anya Angie, all you have to do is move down to the lower seats after the show starts, LOL.

Would they actually let me do that? I'd have my cane and everything so they'd understand why I would move, but still...

R.D.

Record Breaker
tharrtell said:
Where'd you download the program from? I still haven't seen it ... much to my dismay!

If you really want Alissa's program I can send it to you

mzheng

Record Breaker
I'm watching lady's SA LP now. What happened to Emily? I diddn't hear Dick said anything likd overweight about Emily, but he said overweight about Elena, I don't remember Elena as unfit as Emily ever, even the season after she won silver at Worlds.....to say Emily has more tech than Kwan, just absurd.

Finally got to see Alissa's skating. Now that's something.....Sasha better look out!

Last edited by a moderator:

antmanb

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
If Kwan doesn't compete at Worlds, it's going to take a very strong finish by the US Ladies #3 in her first senior Worlds to qualify for three Ladies for Tokyo Worlds.

Really? I didn't think the third entrant counted towards the score. If kwan doesn't compete then i thought so long as Cohen places on the podium the US get three spots for the following year...i'm really not sure about that though.

Ant

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
What I mean was that if Kwan, Cohen, and #3 went to the Olympics, but Cohen, #3, and #4 went to Worlds, since the total placement of the top two US finishers in Calgary must be 13 or less in order to qualify for three spots for Worlds 2007, that means a top 10 or close to top 10 finish by one other US lady is necessary to keep three.

The only time a podium finish is taken into account is if there is one entry, and that skater/team wins silver or bronze. In that case the country earns three spots for the following Worlds.

Czisny could be a very special skater. Time will tell. Wha is going for her is her bashfulness about applause. I was at SA and SC and she just melts when she gets standing ovations. I think that graciousness is in her skating. No other senior lady has that, imo.

Catch her program at Skate Canada. It's still better than SA. BTW, she's one of those skaters who looks better LIVE than on TV.

She's level 4 in spiral sequences; level 4 in spins and those alone rack up points. Her jumps are about the same as two other American skaters (no names) and with the high tech footwork and Moves in Field, she is quite competitive.

The USA Nationals is no longer who will be the bronze medalist but who among the four will not make the podium. Am I correct?

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Once again, I feel that the big-time pressure will make or break one of these skaters. Alissa is all POTENTIAL but if she can put it all together in January then I'll look twice.

But where exactly did she come from? From having four falls at Campbell's to strong SA and SC showings. I think I need to see her do well at a couple more comps before I consider her a strong contender. JMO

Red Dog - When a skater is not expected to win, there is no pressure. Alissa does not figure in the scheme of things except for me.

Saundy

On the Ice
I can't help but think this is deja vu (or however you spell it) from last season when Cynthia Phaneuf won a silver at SA and gold at SC, the exact same as Alissa. She also did bad at her first international event of the season, that being the Nebelhorn trophy and Alissa also did bad on her first being Campbell's. So with that being said, I can't help but be a little worried that Alissa will flump at the GPF in December the same way Cynthia did. I think it has aot to do with inexperiance. I sure hope she does do good because I absolutely loved watching her at SC. Such a bright smile that just lit up the whole arena! :yes:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
When a skater is not expected to win, there is no pressure.

Very true, in a way. (The skater can still put pressure on himself/herself to do well, though). I'm wondering if the media craze at Nats will focus some attention on Alissa because of her success at SA and SC, and therefore raise their expectations of her (therefore putting more pressure on her). Or, will they do as always and put all the expectations and pressure on Kimmie, and let Alissa brew up a storm in the background?

Maybe it might be balanced. I don't know, and I can't predict the future (except for Kwan's win! ;) ) so we'll just have to wait and see. I can't wait to see how Alissa does in the GPF and fares against the big guns. Right now I think Irina has all but got the OGM - right now, that is.

Last edited:

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Czisny could be a very special skater. Time will tell. Wha is going for her is her bashfulness about applause. I was at SA and SC and she just melts when she gets standing ovations. I think that graciousness is in her skating. No other senior lady has that, imo.

Catch her program at Skate Canada. It's still better than SA. BTW, she's one of those skaters who looks better LIVE than on TV.

She's level 4 in spiral sequences; level 4 in spins and those alone rack up points. Her jumps are about the same as two other American skaters (no names) and with the high tech footwork and Moves in Field, she is quite competitive.

The USA Nationals is no longer who will be the bronze medalist but who among the four will not make the podium. Am I correct?

Joe

I think you've got a point. It's who will not make the podium. If I was a betting person, I think it just might be Meissner. Of course that's totally biased since I haven't seen her skate much this year and I'm not on the Kimmie bandwagon. I saw Alissa once last year and was enchanted with her. After seeing her SA skate and then watching her SP from SC yesterday, I am even more enchanted with her. Her jumps are getting more consistent. She's far more secure in her spins and spirals than Kimmie and I just really like her skating.

Now that I've said that, something will happen.:frown2: I happen to like Bebe as well and think she's gotten the short end of the stick.

Between Kwan, Cohen, Czisny and Meissner, I know Kwan and Cohen will be on the podium. Czisny and Meissner will battle it out and I hope that Czisny gets the other place.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Definitely. I think that's a bit far-fetched, though, because I think MK will be there unless she ABSOLUTELY can't skate.

Michelle will have a shaky SP in St. Louis but she will command the attentiion of the entire arena when she does her LP. It's not the judges, it's the Kwanfans!! Whether or not she wins, she remains Michelle to her legions of fans.

Joe