Ladies FS | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS

netnuts

Match Penalty
It's just pathetic that a 3--clean-triple program can now routinely win a GP event with scores over 100? PCS is a joke...

CoP is ruining this sport...

Where are the clean programs???

1st: Sarah Mier had 3 clean triples,
2nd: Costner had 2 clean triples, tried 3 2As.

Last edited:

hazey

Rinkside
I think that article was from a local newspaper, so I'm still waiting to see how the official comment comes out on the ISU review. Anyway, good for Caroline to show that levels are not all about arm-flailing and endless twizzles. I believe she was rewarded with that Level 4 due to her deep, secure and fast changing edges.

I agree with you that the callers were quite lenient (not only on levels, but also on rotations) at NHK. It has always been that way, probably they're feeling more generous as the season goes by.
Did you watched Kostner's LP? No major arm flailing? I would think that anyone awarded a Level 4 step sequence would have quick, frequent changes of edge. Arm flailing and "endless twizzles" won't get a skater lvl4 if they don't meet the edge criteria.

Skye

On the Ice
Did you watched Kostner's LP? No major arm flailing? I would think that anyone awarded a Level 4 step sequence would have quick, frequent changes of edge. Arm flailing and "endless twizzles" won't get a skater lvl4 if they don't meet the edge criteria.

I did not say Kostner's step sequence did not have any arm flailing, and after all appropriate upper body movement is required for higher levels. I'm just content that the callers are sending out a clear message that edge control is the most improtant factor once again.

hazey

Rinkside
I did not say Kostner's step sequence did not have any arm flailing, and after all appropriate upper body movement is required for higher levels. I'm just content that the callers are sending out a clear message that edge control is the most improtant factor once again.

Sorry if I misunderstood you but the first thing that came to me when I read your post was: since when did the level of step sequence depend mostly on arm flailing or endless twizzles? Did anyone actually get a level 4 step sequence with poor edge control but arm flailing and endless twizzles?

Skye

On the Ice
Sorry if I misunderstood you but the first thing that came to me when I read your post was: since when did the level of step sequence depend mostly on arm flailing or endless twizzles? Did anyone actually get a level 4 step sequence with poor edge control but arm flailing and endless twizzles?

Kostner's step sequence is the first ever to have been ratified with a Level 4, so the answer to your question would be no. But I've already seen too many zig-zagging back and forth on the flat, thrusting the torso and arms up and down frantically, little or no connection to the music - still receiving high levels and rewarded with positive GOEs. My apologies for not making myself clear initially.

bekalc

Record Breaker
It's just pathetic that a 3--clean-triple program can now routinely win a GP event with scores over 100? PCS is a joke...

CoP is ruining this sport...

Where are the clean programs???

1st: Sarah Mier had 3 clean triples,
2nd: Costner had 2 clean triples, tried 3 2As.

Kostner had 3 clean triples, Sarah had two clean turns (her triple toe had turn outs)

Yes, it's sad Kostner's skate won, but I don't blame COP.. I blame this particular field of skaters. And how has 3 triples routinely winning GP events. Yu-na Kim had 6 triples in China, 7 triples in Russia. Mao had 4 triples in Quebec, five in Paris..

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Kostner had 3 clean triples, Sarah had two clean turns (her triple toe had turn outs)

Yes, it's sad Kostner's skate won, but I don't blame COP.. I blame this particular field of skaters. And how has 3 triples routinely winning GP events. Yu-na Kim had 6 triples in China, 7 triples in Russia. Mao had 4 triples in Quebec, five in Paris..

You really can't blame this field of skaters. Jump consistency has affected just about all of the top ladies the last couple of seasons. I am not talking about the deductions for flutz and underotation. I am talking about completing and landing a properly rotated jump upright without a step out or hand down. It has been suggested that COP might have something to do with that to some degree, some agree others do not. You can't blame injuries, growth spurts, poor skating, poor technique for all of the jump inconsistency problems we are seeing now. The common denominator is COP.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
You really can't blame this field of skaters. Jump consistency has affected just about all of the top ladies the last couple of seasons. I am not talking about the deductions for flutz and underotation. I am talking about completing and landing a properly rotated jump upright without a step out or hand down. It has been suggested that COP might have something to do with that to some degree, some agree others do not. You can't blame injuries, growth spurts, poor skating, poor technique for all of the jump inconsistency problems we are seeing now. The common denominator is COP.

Yes, COP has made things harder. But I don't personally want to go back to 6.0's jump crossover jump crossover..

And well the winner, of Worlds last year did land 7 triple jumps, so did the winner of worlds the previous year...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree that CoP has to shoulder some blame for the poor performances in this field. To improve 'transition' scores, many programs are choreographed using difficult jump entrances, which can leave skaters off-balance as they go into the jumps. So we see many hand-downs and step-outs.

Bottom line: Carolina Kostner won this competition by virtue of her slim lead in the SP. In doing so, ironically, she made it possible for Caroline Zhang to make the GPF---if Sarah Meier had won gold and Carolina silver, Meier and Kostner would have made the GPF and Caroline would be sitting at home as first alternate. Instead, Meier is the first alternate, Ando second alternate, with Rochette pushed down to third alternate.

BTW Carolina Kostner has always been a major arm-flailer. Her arms are always in motion, whether during the step sequences, stroking or jumping.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Actually Kostner's score wasn't high enough to beat Caroline's total score, so Caroline was in no matter who placed ahead Kostner or Meier.

It's just pathetic that a 3--clean-triple program can now routinely win a GP event with scores over 100?
Well, a score of 100 can win an event, but leaves her about twenty points shy of being competitive with the top performances of the season (Kim, 122 and 133; Asada 119 and 122).

Let's see..if Kostner did five extra triple Lutz's that would give her an extra 30 points and put her in the 133 range with Kim.

kikakiks

On the Ice
Well, a score of 100 can win an event, but leaves her about twenty points shy of being competitive with the top performances of the season (Kim, 122 and 133; Asada 119 and 122).

Let's see..if Kostner did five extra triple Lutz's that would give her an extra 30 points and put her in the 133 range with Kim.

If Kostner would actually complete a 6 triple program she would not be in the 133 range, but she would be competitive with the top performances. She has proved in the past several times. If she ever managed to do the first combo as she did at euros (and several other times, and always in warmups) and complete 7 triples and get all level 4s she would easily reach 127 (not 130, since she wouldn't have plus goe on spins).

that thing about 5 extra triple lutzes is just ridiculous...If she ever completed her program without doubling jumps...
but anyway the point here is that she has never been and will never be an early season competitor. She ALWAYS peaks at Euros and worlds. So it is no surprise that she won her spot by luck (or actually clean SPs? which are not valued anymore)

I wish at 20 years old she would be able to calm her nerves....that's pretty sad to whatch

Bennett

Record Breaker
Wow I am SO happy that Caro won the event:clap::clap::clap:

I was concerned about her LP after seeing the last event where she had meltdown, but it is really great that she came back strong this time after a fall at the second jump! I am really happy that she had both a clean SP and a good LP.

I really LOVE this program :love::love::love:. The music is really interesting and sophisticated. It has some strength that underscores her maturity. It's so well-choreographed that I can watch it many many times without getting bored.

I loved the straightline steps and spirals. It seems that she was in hurry at the last double axel because she didn't have much time left. But if she lands it, it would becoe a gorgeous ending.

Well again, congrats Caro!!!! I am sure that people in Italy would be VERY excited that she can make Torin!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
THIS is a good FS?

3F+2T
3Z+2T, fall
2F
2L
2A+2T
3S
botched combo spin, -GOE
1A

IMO, it was a very overmarked FS, but NOT a good one.

I would rather see Sarah Meier than Carolina Kostner at the GPF.

bekalc

Record Breaker
THIS is a good FS?

3F+2T
3Z+2T, fall
2F
2L
2A+2T
3S
botched combo spin, -GOE
1A

But this is a good free skate:
3Lutz +2t+2l
3Flip fall out
3s
Double flip double toe
Double lutz
triple toe
double axel double toe

Sure I'd give it to Meier in the long, but barely just barely.

Bennett

Record Breaker
THIS is a good FS?

3F+2T
3Z+2T, fall
2F
2L
2A+2T
3S
botched combo spin, -GOE
1A

I am sure that she is capable of doing much better. But having seen the unfortunate meltdown at the last event, I am really glad that she did so much better:clap::clap::clap: Despite some mistakes, she had great speed throughout the performance. There are some performances that you can enjoy, despite some mistakes. I really enjoyed the overall flow and the quality that she had in this program. I loved the great quality in the performance aspect of skating.

Last edited: