Ladies Gpf | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies Gpf

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
havanamesa1 said:
This is another problem with way judges are doing the judging under COP. There should NOT be any trends. If an element was executed the same way in two events, the performance should receive the same score in event 1 and event 2 -- it shouldn't be going up during event 2.
As Doggygirl pointed out, programs do get better as the seasons moves on. SA and SC are usually more like trial runs; by the time we get to NHK, things get more polished.

Also, athletes always compete with an eye on their competitors. They take more risks in a stronger field, and choose to play it safe in the weaker ones.

Finally, there are things skaters cannot control, such as quality of ice or practice conditions. Russian ice, for example, tends to be harder than North American ice. It is fair, then, to compare skater performing on the same ice against each other.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
As Doggygirl pointed out, programs do get better as the seasons moves on. SA and SC are usually more like trial runs; by the time we get to NHK, things get more polished.

Also, athletes always compete with an eye on their competitors. They take more risks in a stronger field, and choose to play it safe in the weaker ones.

Finally, there are things skaters cannot control, such as quality of ice or practice conditions. Russian ice, for example, tends to be harder than North American ice. It is fair, then, to compare skater performing on the same ice against each other.

Your additional points about environmental issues, and also the dynamics related to the competitive field are good ones too. I recall an Irina interview after she skated at COC talking about how she really got lots of "spring" off the ice that had to do with the condition of the ice.

I actually like the current system of how the events are assigned, and how the finalists are selected. The field at SA would have looked totally different had MK and SC not withdrawn due to injury. (and of course Allissa and Sokolova benefited from that). Had Caro skated like a World bronze medalist, the fields would have looked totally different at SC and NHK. That's just the way the ball bounces. There's a lucky or unlucky break to be had in any sport - I don't think any system can prevent that from happening.

I also like the fact that there were no "third non-scoring events" this year. No point blocking, and a wider variety of entries.

I wouldn't mind at all seeing the finalists expanded from 6 to 8 like juniors. I'm on that bandwagon!

Congrats to all the finalists!

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
I actually like the current system of how the events are assigned, and how the finalists are selected. The field at SA would have looked totally different had MK and SC not withdrawn due to injury. (and of course Allissa and Sokolova benefited from that). Had Caro skated like a World bronze medalist, the fields would have looked totally different at SC and NHK. That's just the way the ball bounces. There's a lucky or unlucky break to be had in any sport - I don't think any system can prevent that from happening.

ITA.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
That's just the way the ball bounces. There's a lucky or unlucky break to be had in any sport - I don't think any system can prevent that from happening.

I also like the fact that there were no "third non-scoring events" this year. No point blocking, and a wider variety of entries.

I wouldn't mind at all seeing the finalists expanded from 6 to 8 like juniors. I'm on that bandwagon!

Congrats to all the finalists!

DG

ITA ... The best thing about the GP series is that you get to see up & comers that you'd ordinarily miss... Seeing Mao & Alisa skate at that level is worth Sokolva in the finals... Another skater that pops into mind is Joanine... without the GP series & final last year I probably wouldn't have seen her until Worlds, if I saw her then... We complain about the big dawgs stealing all the thunder & then complain when lesser known skaters get some exposure... what a fickle group we skating fans are...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
ITA ... The best thing about the GP series is that you get to see up & comers that you'd ordinarily miss... Seeing Mao & Alisa skate at that level is worth Sokolva in the finals... Another skater that pops into mind is Joanine... without the GP series & final last year I probably wouldn't have seen her until Worlds, if I saw her then... We complain about the big dawgs stealing all the thunder & then complain when lesser known skaters get some exposure... what a fickle group we skating fans are...

:rofl: That, we certainly are many times!

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:

Not only that, but due to the point system skaters like Nakano and Alissa get to go to the final, AND skate against some of the best from other events (Slutskaya, et al.). That means more experience for them, and hopefully a medal or two.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
After some thought, I would propose one change for how the GP finalists are selected: make CoP total the 1st tie breaker rather than the second one. In this particular case, it would have moved Shizuka into the final instead of Miki (Elena would have been in no matter what).