Ladies LP - 2014 European Championships | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP - 2014 European Championships

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
As for Julia looking young for her age, I would disagree. I would say she does look her age. It's just that every other teenage girl in the world looks older than their age! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

:laugh: Brilliant! And so true! :agree:

elif

Medalist
The opening was brilliant. After that she was just a tornado on the ice.

Unlike Kostner who just waited waited and waited for her jumps:rolleye:

If we are looking expression wise like you posted Julia is a lot of better than Kostner and Sotnikova.

Ven

Match Penalty
Unlike Kostner who just waited waited and waited for her jumps:rolleye:

If we are looking expression wise like you posted Julia is a lot of better than Kostner and Sotnikova.

Well I never enjoyed Kostner too much so ...

But I do think Sotnikova > Julia right now. In the future, maybe different. But right now I prefer Sotnikova.

Ven

Match Penalty
See if you watch the EuroSport video, the commentator says things like:

"The theme of the performance...it's so heartbreaking...takes your breath away....what a performance."

All preconceived ideas. But if you actually look at the jumps ... the 2A barely gets off the ice. The last jump sequence, she almost comes to complete stops in between the jumps. Even some of the relatively clean jumps early in the program have bad landings, one of them was so off she had to abort the triple at the end.

I don't think it was a bad performance but it wasn't magical at all. She was just a constant attacking tornado out there after the wonderful opening. I worry some people are a bit too eager to turn a little girl into a star for some reason. She's not there yet. She can beat Adelina when Sotnikova makes errors, but side by side at their best give me Adelina any day, and neither of them can touch Yuna, Mao, or Suzuki in my opinion when they are all cleanish.

elif

Medalist
All preconceived ideas. But if you actually look at the jumps ... the 2A barely gets off the ice. The last jump sequence, she almost comes to complete stops in between the jumps. Even some of the relatively clean jumps early in the program have bad landings, one of them was so off she had to abort the triple at the end.

She didn't planned her last combination. First 2A was bad, so she didn't do 3T+2T (good thinking) She fixed this mistake later, when she did 2A+3T and 3lutz+2T+2T. She says she didn't skated this version of the program at practices. She saved her program very very good.

“My head is still spinning, I think I might faint right now. I skated my program a 200 percent. I did two difficult combinations the second half and the base value went up. I never even skated this version of my program in practice”,

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
I found Julia to be quite rude with her answers...
I don't think she was rude. Maybe very straight and on the point, as Russians often tend to do. She did not try to "sell" herself, like Caro did, for example. But there was nothing offensive in her answers.

elif

Medalist
If I'm right Lipnitskaia (June 5, 1998) is youngest European Champion by a month. Cleary ISU doesn't know this too. :laugh: They just says A new European Champion and one of the youngest ones in history.

Other skaters who is close to 15-16:
Hanna Eigel (May 20, 1939) won 1955 Europeans
Ingrid Wendl (May 17, 1940) won 1956 Europeans

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was never a big fan of Kostner, so meh.

Julia is an amazing young skater, but I did find numerous faults with her program. First, she has extra long pauses in between jump combos, so I imagine those must count as sequence instead? Her landings are wonky too. Her spins are amazing, have to give her credit there, especially the final spin in her FS. Also, when she started her LP, I thought "wow, this girl really has a sense of presence for the moment and understands delivery" but as she got into the technical content she lost the magic and was just kind of doing tricks out there and flailing her arms around. So in that regard she started out really good and then got worse as the program went along.

But, I also think she should not receive as high PCS as the women. She looks too young out there, it's kind of jarring to watch aesthetically pleasing ladies skaters dance all over the ice and then there's this girl who looks like she's 10 years old. It's not her fault, but I think the PCS should take this into consideration.

Gosh, I couldn't disagree more about Julia's LP at Euros. I was just transfixed by her performance from start to finish--and I have seen her skate this program before many times. She deserves very high marks on performance/execution and interpretation--high 9's-- and probably on choreo, too. My only nit would be her double axel. It's really small, barely leaving the ice--a lot like Tara Lipinski, another 15 year old phenom. I still think Yu Na will win the OGM again this year. But if Julia skates like this at Sochi, all bets are off.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I found Julia to be quite rude with her answers...

I love her off putting nature. It's catching everyone off guard. I hope throughout her career she remains the same. Very little make up, very intense performances, with absolute brilliance as the underlying theme.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As for Julia looking young for her age, I would disagree. I would say she does look her age. It's just that every other teenage girl in the world looks older than their age! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan
I've been saying this all over the place. Thank you for not only helping to promote this view but as Frenchie said, saying it so brilliantly!!

CaroLiza_fan_FAN :bow:

Bartek

On the Ice
Even though I have never been a fan of Carolina's I think that with this bolero program, sophisticated choreography, long lines, elegnt arm movements and speed she still blew the Russian girls out of the water PCS-wise, mistakes on the jumps notwithstanding. And thank God this is what happened but in my opinion Adelina and Julia were still overmarked on the PCS - the gap between them and Kostner should've been bigger. I loved Carolina's simles when she was doing the choreography and the step sequence was astounding. I must also admit that for the first time I was moved by Julia's program and I could feel that she understands it and projects those emotions. When it comes to Adelina, I am becoming a fan of hers, especially having seen another brilliant short but the long was a bit disappointing for me and I don't think she deserved such high PCS marks. She was skating from one element to another, whereas Julia really felt it this night.

Bartek

On the Ice
The highest score possible and ever achieved for a step sequence:

10 StSq4 3.90 2.10 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 6.00

A record.

Yes, Carolina managed to get it. She is the best in the steps.

+3 from all judges.

No, i think that Mao had gotten it before either this season or last.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
My thoughts after seeing it live:
Carolina was wonderful. I am Italian and I'm a Caro-fan (this was not the first time I saw her competing) and you can of course think that this is an extremely biased opinion, but I have to say that she was INCREDIBLE yesterday night, her Bolero is a sheer piece of art, truly astonishing. During the last 30 seconds you didn't even remember that she had fallen and made mistakes, it was just Carolina palying with the audience during those beautiful steps and spirals :love: Anyway, she clearly deserved to be third, not higher (even if the gap betwen her PCS and Adelina should have been a lot bigger)
Adelina was great, too: I almost never saw her missing a jump in practice (from what I could see, she's now planning 3Lz+3T at the beginning of the FS, and some of them looked rotated), so it was a surprise that she missed the 3Lz at the beginning; her 2A+3T, however, is consistent and perfectly executed! The program was nice, and you could really see that she was figthing through every jump after the mistake. However, I didn't think she deserved something like 69 for PCS (I actually expected 63-64, and this is what she deserved, for me)
Julia was PERFECT, and the little mistake in the first 2A made it even more exciting. What can I say about her? You all know that she has incredible spins, that her program is well-choreographed and that her face doesn't have any kind of expression while she's skating (and the incredible thing is that it makes the program even more emotional!!)...
I was also very happy for Mae and Alena, they really skated well both in practice and in competition; a bit sad for Valentina, but she skated well after all and it was a difficult competition (even if she made a couple of very stupid mistakes)... Happy that they finally gave Mae and Valentina the PCS they deserve, because they'rw actually very good artistically!