Ladies Short Program | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
whoa..wasn't Irina last to skate in 2002? I guess it's the best case for her ..she would be able to see what needs to be done w/o figuring out the ordinals.

CDMM1991

Medalist
alain707 said:
Probably not. The way she goes into the lutz may be unusual but I don't think she spends more time gliding on her outside edge than most other skaters. It has never really bothered me. Her entry into the flip is like many eastern european, the real problem is that she does a lip, but so does Arakawa. Furthermore, even if the judges wanted to penalize her for too long preparations, they could only do that by giving her a slightly negative GoE on those jumps. I don't think that deserves taking points off her component scores.
I'm being supportive to Elena Liashenko tonight, because her program appears as worthy as those of Emily Hughes or Kimmie Meissner, and she doesn't even end up in the top twelve.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Her time gliding into the lutz was much longer than any of the other skaters they showed tonight, and her entry to the flip took up almost half the ice as well. They judges reserve the right to fairly ding her quite a bit for doing this because a long telegraphing is a feature for -2 GOE and also it makes sense that it would take away from the choreography, interpretation, and performance/execution scores because during the time when she is gliding on that edge she is doing nothing to contribute to the performance. I don't think she deserved to be quite as low as she was, but i think 3th or 10th would hav ebeen quite justified.

shadymc

Rinkside
Don't be such a poor sport. She's not in this one. This is about Sasha

Excuse me? A poor sport? I'm going to assume that you didn't read the quote I posted stating that Michelle couldn't have handled the pressure. I was responding to that. I didn't bring up her name. And, yes, this is about ALL the ladies.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Nmsis said:
Long Program

Last group
19 GEDEVANISHVILI Elene GEO 6 57.90
20 COHEN Sasha USA 1 66.73
21 ARAKAWA Shizuka JPN 3 66.02
22 SUGURI Fumie JPN 4 61.75
23 MEISSNER Kimmie USA 5 59.40
24 SLUTSKAYA Irina RUS 2 66.70

Interesting. I'm not sure this is the best position for Sasha, as at the moment she seems to be thriving on having the last word. This is most likely the perfect position for Irina. If she can put out a great skate, it will be an extremely memorable one, as she is skating last. But then again, we could have a Salt Lake repeat, so we'll have to see!

sarahmistral

On the Ice
oh boy...judges' amnesia may strike again and heavily favor the last to skate vs. the earlier performers...but I hope not...let's see...

ceg15

On the Ice
Wow, so excited for the long now!!!!!
My prediction:
1- Irina
2- Sasha
3- Shizuka

maruru

Rinkside
ceg15 said:
Wow, so excited for the long now!!!!!
My prediction:
1- Irina
2- Sasha
3- Shizuka

That'd be my prediction too, but actually I wouldn't really mind the order... whoever of the three gets what color, this is the podium of my dream!

Sounds like it was a real, high-level competition. I can't wait to watch it :clap:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
whoa..wasn't Irina last to skate in 2002? I guess it's the best case for her ..she would be able to see what needs to be done w/o figuring out the ordinals.

I'm guessing she won't make the same mistake twice. Look for Irina to come out with guns blazing..42

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
1- Irina
2- Sasha
3- Shizuka

I agree with the top 2. I see a clean Sluty and a Cohen with a few small mistakes thta will take away the gold since that has been her pattern. I hope Shiza skates well but I would enjoy seeing Fumie on the podium. I loved her SP today and she doesn't cheat her jumps.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I think it might work out well for Sasha. She doesn't have to worry about what this one or that one did. She can concentrate on skating her program. I think that has been her approach this season and this plays right into it.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
bili said:
I am not a Sasha Cohen fan, but that was a brilliant performance!!:clap:

A bit sad about Carolina, though, she could have done better.

Question: what exactly happened with Sokolova? I didn't catch her program..

For me the SP was bittersweet-Sasha (1st) and Carolina (11th) are my faves. I downloaded all the vids of the top ten ladies from FSVids and Sasha's and Carolina's despite the fall were by far my favorites.

I think Sasha should have been a little bit further ahead on points BUT I love that there is going to be a REAL battle for the Gold. I hated that the Men's LP was nothing more than a battle for Silver/Bronze. I can remember as far back as the 1988 Olympics and the 2006 Men's Olympic Championship for me is by far the worst. Here's crossing fingers for a FANTASTIC ladie's LP and may the best one's land on the podium! :clap:

sk8addict said:
You know they marked her down for all that telegraphing of the jumps she does.

Slutskaya telegraphs her jumps in a way that really bothers me. Just before she jumps she holds her arms up in this odd curved position-then she kind of bends her knee and KICKS. It just isn't very pretty. And she doesn't have much of a run out.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Slutskaya telegraphs her jumps in a way that really bothers me. Just before she jumps she holds her arms up in this odd curved position-then she kind of bends her knee and KICKS. It just isn't very pretty. And she doesn't have much of a run out.[/QUOTE]

Yes, she does telegraph - has a tendancy to drop her choreography cold in her jump prep. But the worst for me is her travelling three turns into her triple loop. It is such an ugly, ugly jump entrance. I've always thought she should get deducted for it, but, alas, she gets EXTRA points as it "adds difficulty." So no way is she going to stop doing it. Sigh.

mzheng

Record Breaker
rain said:
Slutskaya telegraphs her jumps in a way that really bothers me. Just before she jumps she holds her arms up in this odd curved position-then she kind of bends her knee and KICKS. It just isn't very pretty. And she doesn't have much of a run out.

Yes, she does telegraph - has a tendancy to drop her choreography cold in her jump prep. But the worst for me is her travelling three turns into her triple loop. It is such an ugly, ugly jump entrance. I've always thought she should get deducted for it, but, alas, she gets EXTRA points as it "adds difficulty." So no way is she going to stop doing it. Sigh.

Heard this is called uperbody pre-rotation, Russian coach teaches it a lot in male skaters.

kyla2

Final Flight
Fumie and Shizuka

I absolutely love these two, especially Fumie who has guts and choreography. What a combination. Shizuka was great also and the spiral was to die for. I hope Fumie medals, which is going to be tough because of the competition, but she is a sweetheart who skates her heart out. I would love to see it happen. Shizuka has a real chance to win the gold if she can hang on to her jumps.