Ladies Short | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Peggy and Terry were both so very unfair... the girl taps her toepick down and then totally breezes through the rest of the program and you'd have thought she had a meltdown! That was a huge comeback from 5th to 1st, but I guess we only get excited if Evan and Tanith and Ben make up a lot of points to come out on top

it's a huge double standard they seem to have... it's like ABC wants to keep Sasha down (do they ever think that what they say might get back to her and have an effect on how she sees herself as a skater?)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Besides the little mistake in the beginning she seemed fairly strong to me.

It's no bother to get so invested in a skater and blow a cap every time she makes a mistake. So what? Skaters make mistakes all the time. We non-fans sigh at the mistake and then we MOVE ON to watch the rest of the performance.

Still not over yet. Cohen's ahead but only by 3.5 points. Then again, there's no Slutskaya or Arakawa waiting in the wings, so the FS pressure should be less. Still, Suguri could still win if she's clean and SC falls more than once or makes more than two big mistakes. Unfortunately Rochette is NINE points down from first so in order for her to win SC would have to totally bomb, something she hasn't done (despite what many people might like to think) in a long time. But she may be able to overtake Suguri if Suguri makes mistakes....

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Here's what bugged me about Peggy's comments after Cohen's SP: "She ruins it for us all by making us expect mistakes... She won't be happy with this performance. At this point, she is persuing perfection."

I thought that statement of Peggy's was out of line. Sasha's SP was very very good. How does Peggy know what Sasha is thinking. I'll tell you what Sasha is probably thinking "Yeah" I am in first place. The judges got it right this time.

nubka

Final Flight
Rgirl said:
Here's what bugged me about Peggy's comments after Cohen's SP: "She ruins it for us all by making us expect mistakes... She won't be happy with this performance. At this point, she is persuing perfection."Rgirl

ITA with you about Peggy - I wanted her to just shut her big trap...soooooo rude!

Red Dog said:
Besides the little mistake in the beginning she seemed fairly strong to me.

It's no bother to get so invested in a skater and blow a cap every time she makes a mistake. So what? Skaters make mistakes all the time. We non-fans sigh at the mistake and then we MOVE ON to watch the rest of the performance....
I wish somebody would tell Peggy that. In fact, one of Sasha's new mantras in trying to get over feeling she had to be perfect was, "Skaters make mistakes all the time." I'd say this indicates that Sasha is also a nonfan.;)

Also, I think Toni has a good point that there seems to be a different standard for Sasha vs. other US ladies skaters, Evan (and in the past, Johnny), and Tanith and Ben. I don't begrudge any of the latter getting kudos for making a great comeback, but it's as if the message to Sasha is, "No gold, you're mold."

Certain athletes or performers can do no wrong according to commentators and the media; others have to sprout wings and fly before they get good press. Martina Navratilova got hammered by the press while Chris Everett got all the props--and the endorsements. I realize that example, especially during the time Martina and Chris were competing, was loaded in terms of they were treated differently. Fortunately, Martina and Chris always treated each other with great respect.

OTOH, let's not forget that for several years, nothing but pearls came out of Dick and Peggy's mouths about Sasha's skating, when, IMO, she could have used more constructive criticism. The last few years Peggy and Dick seem to have gone to the other extreme. I wish they wouldn't do that either. I say call the skaters' strengths and weaknesses equally throughout most of their careers. I'm all for getting excited about a new skater who is proving to be a rising star or for honoring a great veteran skater and not mentioning the limitations that come with age. I just find the "angel-scum" extremes tiresome.

Actually, I don't really care what Peggy says, lol. However, I do find that watching an event is more enjoyable when the commentary is made without so much bias either way, such as when Wylie, Wynne, and/or Browning make insightful comments about the skating, comments that help educate me about why a skater or team may be having problems or why they may be doing something exceptionally well.

Rgirl

Last edited:

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Kimmie has been steadily improving her PCS scores. THAT'S why she scored a personal best with a 3/2.

Thanks, RGirl and Coolio for your nice comments about Kimmie. I guess "Maturity" must be in the eyes of the beholder, because some people here says she is mature, some say she is not. I always say, just let 'em skate.

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
I love Cohen but she looks very very tired to me. I think she's going to have a repeat of the QR. Or worse. I just don't even see her medalling with that kind of skate. But stranger things have happened.

I think this is Fumie's year! :clap:

Back to Cohen: It almost boggles my mind to think how much farther ahead Sasha would be on points without her mistakes in the QR and SP. Whoa...

Last edited:

Lanie

On the Ice
I've heard that she's not doing so well physically. Illness, injury, who knows but she doesn't look too hot either.

Mafke

Medalist
jsteam4501s said:
Thanks, RGirl and Coolio for your nice comments about Kimmie. I guess "Maturity" must be in the eyes of the beholder, because some people here says she is mature, some say she is not. I always say, just let 'em skate.

I think she's still getting there, if anything I think her SP yesterday was a little more mature than in Turin, but not quite up with the top. My perception of her immaturity is based on
- extensions: she doesn't quite get all the way she should be or doesn't hold it quite long enough, this is really apparent in her footwork,
- expression: she has a I'm working here expression rather than relating to the audience, I can almost hear her counting "three, four, raise my right arm, five, six now lower it, seven eight"

Don't get me wrong, she's very, very good and has the potential to be really great and is improving rapidly. Barring injury or growth I fully expect her to medal next year. But I think she's still hovering at about 90% of being a full-fledged senior skater. YMMV.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Not a fan, but I still have been so sorry for Sebestyen this season... One of our commentators mentioned that in Worlds she has been so good at practices, but does not seem to be able to bring it to the competition.

Rochette very apparently had poblems because skating in front of the homecrowd (as she was leading). No wonder, that might happen even to extremely consistent jumpers. Just remembering Stojko in Edmonton Worlds, he was out of podium!

Again I loved Sasha´s "Dark Eyes"!!! Such a pity that Kiira Korpi had a mistake in flip after a successful triple-triple combination. I was very happy for Poykio skating so well in the short programme, but would hope that she would have some speed and a bit more demanding footwork. It felt like she is skating with the speed of a snail in the footwork, LOL.

Last edited:

alain707

Rinkside
Delay before Joannie Rochette's marks

Does anybody know why there was such a delay before Joannie Rochette's marks were announced? Some kind of computer problem? Surprisingly she was just marked high enough to be ranked ahead Sokolova and Meier and still hold a spot in the final group for the free skate.

Justafan

On the Ice
I would love to see Kimmie improve her elegance with her hand and arm positions, although she has improved, they still seem a little choppy to me. But, she is young...get thee to some ballet lessons!

I can't for the life of me get into Emily Hughes..although I love her attack and her obvious joy for the sport..again she is young and has time to work on her style.

I thought Fumie was just lovely. I thought she was cheated a little in Turino..would really like to see her do well. Sasha may just open the door for here, but still I dont think anyone has Sasha's style.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
greig said:
I hope sasha cohen does not win.i would love to see sarah meier get a medal

I would love to see Sarah medal too if Joannie does not. It is too bad she missed the final flight. The Swiss skaters are really amazing. Of course Swiss skaters are at about a 20 point disadvantage to the most powerful countries like Russia and the U.S, and a 10 point disadvantage to most skaters in the total competition scoring because of their nationality, and for them to have a gold medalist and a second medalist at the same event despite that huge nationality disadvantage would prove how incredable they are to overcome those odds along with the small population as well.

MsLutzy

Rinkside
ladysarahchatto said:
I love Cohen but she looks very very tired to me. I think she's going to have a repeat of the QR. Or worse. I just don't even see her medalling with that kind of skate. But stranger things have happened.

I think this is Fumie's year! :clap:

Back to Cohen: It almost boggles my mind to think how much farther ahead Sasha would be on points without her mistakes in the QR and SP. Whoa...

I agree, Sasha looks kind of worn out to me. Might be because of her old injury still bothering her a bit. It's also the end to a long season, lots of stress from the media and from the public, and she's given so much energy in preparation for the Olympics. She needs a nice, long rest to think about her future.

Yes, I believe Sasha's program, if skated perfectly, would definitely score the highest marks. She gets top levels for her presentation, spins, etc. and with her jumps landed solidly? She's unbeatable.

slutskayafan21 said:
Thanks. I am glad she had two mistakes for her score to be that low.
If you went by the commentary on CBC you would never know that she flubbed her combination as well as her Axel (Underhill and Martini are "kind" to Canadian skaters, LOL), or that her spiral positions were sub-par.

IMHO she was scored correctly -- maybe held up a teeny bit by the home cooking factor, as the German skaters were in Dortmund -- but she still has a good shot at bronze. Go Joannie!

MM :)

nymkfan51

Medalist
I thought Peggy was wrong about Sasha not having spark last night. Although I didn't think it was her best SP, it certainly was deserving of 1st place. I'm suspecting Peggy is just getting weary of Sasha never being able to close the deal, so to say. I honestly believe she adores Sasha's skating and has been pulling for her to get to the top for a long time now. It's just that after awhile, it gets harder and harder to keep hoping for something that is so close, and yet seemingly so far away. I agree that you can't expect the skaters to be perfect out there all the time ... that is definitely asking too much. But with Sasha, it's not all the time ... it's basically never. And considering the level of talent she possesses, it's frankly very understandable for fans and commentators to get frustrated. It's not as if she just had one season of flawed LP's ... this has been pretty much the norm for the last 4 years.
I suspect she will get the gold today, although sadly, I doubt it will be with a clean program. I understand how you feel kyla ... part of me would like to see her get that gold medal, but the other part doesn't want a significantly flawed LP to be the gold medal winner. We shall see this afternoon.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
It is unfortunate the field is depleted and diminished enough without Shizi, Slutie, Kwanster, and Mao, that she can actually afford a flawed performance and likely win. That would NOT be the case with those women here, in fact he Q-round would already set her back, not just a few points, but in her status going into the short in their minds as well, as all those women are so competitive. Here it is a Sasha route, and she has a huge cushion of error and does not have to turn in that elusive flawless competition to cruise to gold.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
such as when Wylie, Wynne, and/or Browning make insightful comments about the skating, comments that help educate me about why a skater or team may be having problems or why they may be doing something exceptionally well.

Rgirl

I think Paul and Kurt should be the new dream team and Dick and Peggy just I don't know do fluff or something lol Kurt and Paul are so much more fun... Kurt's critical of everyone and Paul just goes with the points... mucho props to my guys :clap:

Jaana - Kiira Korpi is my latest find!! Beautiful natural talent. She will be among my list of skaters to watch more closely next season.

Now onto Saddledome for the finale of Ladies and of the 2006 Worlds.

Joe