Ladies Short | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short

jcoates

Medalist
Wow, this competition is looking disastrous for the ladies.
I also would like to know which jump Joannie fell on, ie. the first or second triple of the combo, and whether the second was downgraded (I'm assuming it was with such a score). Too bad about Caroline; although she does have issues with the axel, I find it surprising she couldn't even squeak it out like usual. And about Mao... oh dear. I was hoping she could save an otherwise forgettable SP competition.

She fell on the first jump (flip) in the combo. Everything else was good.

fairly4

Medalist
mao does skate light on her feet.but that shouldn't automatically give her high scores.
joannie like a bull in a china shop. her goes should reflect accordingly--but guess what--complainingabout her scores last year--the rigged win in SkateCanada sure improved her so-called goes and skating--whenshe is skating like she always did-just more arm movements. reminscentof jeffrey buttle huh.
caroline score was a bit too low.
no racism.sure

fiercemao

Match Penalty
caroline Zhang's tes score is very low even without 2A. One of her jumps must get downgraded.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sounds like the Ladies Short was a mess today. Oh well.

+1

But there is a bright side for the Mao fans. She scores 58 with those two major mistakes- IOW, if she can go clean, she can easily put the pressure on Yuna.

persimmon

Rinkside
Joannie fell on the flip, so she didn't even get the second jump in the air. Caroline actually performed so much better today than at Skate America (?), she actually looked like she was enjoying herself, but that flip was awful, and the toe-loop on the end of it was nowhere near clean. And that double axel! :eek: All in all, a very disappointing competition. Does it seem like such disastrous events are becoming more and more common, or is it just me? Ladies especially seem to be going downhill in terms of number of clean performances, even when taking into account how early it is in the season.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Joannie fell on the flip, so she didn't even get the second jump in the air. Caroline actually performed so much better today than at Skate America (?), she actually looked like she was enjoying herself, but that flip was awful, and the toe-loop on the end of it was nowhere near clean. And that double axel! :eek: All in all, a very disappointing competition. Does it seem like such disastrous events are becoming more and more common, or is it just me? Ladies especially seem to be going downhill in terms of number of clean performances, even when taking into account how early it is in the season.

CoP does not encourage clean performance, it only encourages pile-up of points. Both Joannie and Mao were overscored. It looks like Skate Canada helped Joannie get into the so-called 1st tier status that she could afford to make all sorts of mistakes without consequences.

gold12345

Medalist

Caroline's jumping technique is just bad. She got away with it when she was shorter and could muscle everything, but now it's harder for her.

I think more people would skate clean if they weren't worried about doing a 3-3 in the short.

Overall, the field in this GP event was rather weak, so I wasn't expecting a lot of great skates, but to see nobody at all skate clean is a little surprising.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Nice big overscore for Joannie! Woot! Nearly 60 points with a splat - it really pays to have the Olympics in Canada, doesn't it?

Caroline: Still that crappy technique on the flip - I was surprised she got the 3-3 around. I thought she looked nervous in the warm-up, and I expected her to do badly. Still, aside from the axel, I thought she was much better than at SC. She must own the spiral along with Mao, and I detected some renewed artistic confidence in her. If she had landed the axel, I'd be pissed if she wasn't in at least second place.

Mao: The best ladies SP for me today. I think nervousness led to the pops - the flip looked very good, and I think correcting the flutzing has made her apprehensive about the lutz. But everything else was wonderful...the spins, spirals...everything was exquisite. She should be ahead of Joannie.

Last edited by a moderator:

enlight78

Medalist
I believe no top ladie has has a clean progam this grand prix season. Maybe they are all saving themselves for worlds.

Kypma

Final Flight
I believe no top ladie has has a clean progam this grand prix season. Maybe they are all saving themselves for worlds.

Wasn't Joannie's SP at Skate Canada International clean? Except for the 3-2 combination, but that doesn't count against cleanliness, does it?

-Kypma

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
Does it seem like such disastrous events are becoming more and more common, or is it just me? Ladies especially seem to be going downhill in terms of number of clean performances, even when taking into account how early it is in the season.

I agree. The ladies are just horrible this year. It's really disappointing. The ladies used to be my favorite event but this year they are sliding down the list. I sure hope that this isn't the same kind of competition that we have at worlds!!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to the ladies. Not the cleanest SP, but if you can get by the errors there was some very nice skating. I would not call it a splatfest at all. Loved Mao's program and costume. Caroline's program had a little more energy to it. Joannie skated very well, she deserves first. Not a good first outing for Emily.

berrycute

On the Ice
Final Scores, for those interested:

1 Joannie ROCHETTE CAN 59.54 32.50 28.04 7.10 6.75 7.00 7.05 7.15 1.00 #8
2 Mao ASADA JPN 58.12 29.00 29.12 7.30 7.00 7.35 7.45 7.30 0.00 #10
3 Caroline ZHANG USA 51.76 26.80 24.96 6.30 5.95 6.30 6.45 6.20 0.00 #9
4 Beatrisa LIANG USA 49.60 28.20 22.40 5.85 5.25 5.70 5.65 5.55 1.00 #5
5 Candice DIDIER FRA 47.96 28.24 19.72 5.25 4.55 5.05 5.00 4.80 0.00 #1
6 Gwendoline DIDIER FRA 47.58 28.34 19.24 4.95 4.50 4.90 4.85 4.85 0.00 #2
7 Anastasia GIMAZETDINOVA UZB 45.44 24.40 21.04 5.35 4.85 5.30 5.35 5.45 0.00 #3
8 Emily HUGHES USA 44.32 22.44 22.88 5.85 5.25 5.90 5.75 5.85 1.00 #7
9 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI GEO 41.48 20.40 22.08 5.50 5.15 5.65 5.70 5.60 1.00 #6
10 Binshu XU CHN 40.68 20.92 19.76 5.10 4.65 5.05 5.05 4.85 0.00 #

And there you have it, sports fans

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Very disappointed all around, a complete splat fest. I did not appreciate Joannie getting held up, and she truly was, Skate Canada was a gift and this is just icing on the cake. I feel so bad for Elene G, and I sincerely believe that after this competition Emily Hughes will retire from skating for good and just go back to school, or at least after nationals.

Last edited: