Lambiel announces retirement | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lambiel announces retirement

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think the issue people have with Joubert is that he is routinely dismissive and even contemptuous in his comments about his competitors, and it really makes him sound petty.

In just the last few months, he has dissed Plushenko (calling him overweight and saying he has no chance at a successful return to competition), Buttle (while sitting right next to him at the post-Worlds press conference!) and now Lambiel.

It wouldn't hurt Brian to learn some tact and graciousness, IMO.

Huh? in the case of Buttle and Lambiel, Joubert did not criticize them personally... Joubert is certainly entitled to feel that it's not a good thing that someone can be world champ without a quad. And Joubert is not the only person with this opinion. Plushenko also said he disagrees with what happened. SO did Lambiel and while he didn't announce it so did Takeshi apparently. These men are right to feel that they weren't being rewarded enough for the risks that they took.

Heck, even Paul Wylie and Dick Button agree with Joubert on this issue. You could argue that the ISU also agrees that the quad needs to be valued more, why else would they raise it's point value?
Joubert was just speaking at that moment because he felt something needed to be changed. And the fact is even before that Championship, Joubert was complaining that the quad wasn't getting enough points.

As for Lambiel where was Joubert criticizing him personally once again. And I'm not even sure that Joubert was being mean to Plushenko. He was right to say Plushenko wasn't there physically at that point. That's not mean, it's a matter of fact.

In none of these issues did Joubert get personal.

calica

Final Flight
i do not like in excess Lambiel but it is very sad that he could not continue skating. Though his decision has been very intelligent because the health is the most important thing.
I wish him luck and exit:rock::agree::agree:

libby

Match Penalty
Huh? in the case of Buttle and Lambiel, Joubert did not criticize them personally... Joubert is certainly entitled to feel that it's not a good thing that someone can be world champ without a quad. And Joubert is not the only person with this opinion. Plushenko also said he disagrees with what happened. SO did Lambiel and while he didn't announce it so did Takeshi apparently. These men are right to feel that they weren't being rewarded enough for the risks that they took.

Heck, even Paul Wylie and Dick Button agree with Joubert on this issue. You could argue that the ISU also agrees that the quad needs to be valued more, why else would they raise it's point value?
Joubert was just speaking at that moment because he felt something needed to be changed. And the fact is even before that Championship, Joubert was complaining that the quad wasn't getting enough points.

As for Lambiel where was Joubert criticizing him personally once again. And I'm not even sure that Joubert was being mean to Plushenko. He was right to say Plushenko wasn't there physically at that point. That's not mean, it's a matter of fact.

In none of these issues did Joubert get personal.

Calling someone overweight is personal. No other skater felt the need to reply to questions about Plushenko's possible return with comments about his weight, and a number of them were also asked about it (Johnny Weir, for example, responded by saying that Plushenko would always have his respect and that he believed Plushenko had the ability to get himself into physical condition quickly - compare that to Joubert scoffing at Evgeni's return and calling him fat).

And many journalists called Joubert rude for his conduct at the post-Worlds press conference - he complained that Buttle didn't deserve to beat him because of one jump with Buttle right beside him. You are simply wrong to say that Paul Wylie and Dick Button "agree with him" - they may have said the quad deserved more points (and it has since been given more points by ISU), but they certainly never said that Buttle should not have won over it. Joubert acted like a sore loser.

Joubert could have replied to requests for comment about Lambiel's retirement in any number of tactful ways (say, he could have praised Lambiel's contributions to the sport), but he chose to imply that Lambiel brought it on himself by doing too many shows. Even if he thinks so, he could have said something nice about his longtime competitor.

Face it, Joubert just lacks good graces and sportsmanship.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think a major part of my skating fandom just died.

OMG, shine, I feel the exact same way. Stephane Lambiel will always be king of the ice to me! I will miss him dearly on competitive ice. I will so miss his smile, the passion on his face, his dynamic dance-like choreography and amazing musicality, his phenomenal spins and breathtaking footwork, and the truly magical moments when he managed to combine both the technical and the artistic elements of the sport into a memorable performance for me to treasure always. He was a true romantic leading man on the ice, a dreamer through and through. You will always be loved by me, Steph! :cry:

To reiterate my post from MKF:
I officially feel like this sport somewhat died for me. I'm sort of relieved that Steph allowed his fan base 2 days to prepare to process the possibility of this news. I don't feel quite as gutted as I would feel had the news come totally unexpected. My favorite male, Lambiel, and female, Kwan, solo skaters are likely never to compete again. It's so bittersweet because I'm always so thankful for the memories they provided for me to treasure, but they were both forced out of the sport in the same way, through injury, and not on their own terms. That's the heartbreaking part for me!

I hope Stephane is able to reach the same place of happiness and peace that Michelle appears to have reached since her heartbreaking Olympic withdrawal and hip surgery of 2006. As much as I love Michelle and Stephane, it's so true that their health has to take precedence over my selfish need to see them compete. Against all odds, I just want them to be happy!

Still, this sport is not the same for me anymore and I'm not sure it ever will be. The skaters are dropping like flies because the figure skating calendar is too physically demanding and mentally and emotionally draining with its skate until you drop schedule.

Whatever helps Speedy sleep at night I guess . . . looks like he is getting his wish.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
and the truly magical moments when he managed to combine both the technical and the artistic elements of the sport into a memorable performance for me to treasure always. He was a true romantic leading man on the ice, a dreamer through and through. You will always be loved by me, Steph! :cry:

How beautifully you put it. I think as fans we are at least fortunate to have been left with many wonderful and memorable performances by Stephane. One thing that I loved about him was that even when the jumps weren't ideal, he rarely gave up on ta performance and that his passion was always so apparent. I think I'll go watch some of my favourite programs from him (including my earliest and fondest memory of him from both programs at the 2002 Euros and the 2003 Worlds QR) and cry myself a river.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Joubert seems to resent all those years he came behind Lambiel and Plushenko. But I still love him nonetheless:biggrin:

Lambiel will be greatly missed. Poeta is one of the best men's programs ever, and I'm just glad he had more than few occasions to exhibit the great program.

I hope he will be doing lots of shows and doing what he's good at instead of forcing a triple axel. :rock:

psycho

On the Ice
Calling someone overweight is personal. No other skater felt the need to reply to questions about Plushenko's possible return with comments about his weight, and a number of them were also asked about it (Johnny Weir, for example, responded by saying that Plushenko would always have his respect and that he believed Plushenko had the ability to get himself into physical condition quickly - compare that to Joubert scoffing at Evgeni's return and calling him fat).

I don't think it'd fair to compare his comments on Plushy with Johnny's and use that as an excuse to call him a bad sport. First of all, these two have very different relationships with Plushy. Johnny hero-worships him, he always has, while Brian and Plushy have bad blood between them. And let's be honest, in this case, it's a little naive to say that Plushy will get back into condition quickly when Mishin himself doesn't believe that.:laugh: Brain had the more realistic response, and he wasn't as rude as you make him out to be. ;)

Yes, Brian says a lot of things that he probably should have kept to himself (like his reaction to Stephane's retirement), but let's not demonize him and look for malice in everything he says.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Neue Züricher Zeitung (Swiss daily newspaper)
Lambiels Rücktritt aus Gesundheitsgründen ist zu respektieren. Trotzdem scheint er etwas überstürzt, und bei Lambiels seelischer Konstitution muss man wohl tiefer bohren, will man nach den wahren Gründen suchen. Man kann behaupten, dass die letzten Olympiasieger alle mit einem Bein im Spital gewonnen haben. Wenn ein Läufer mit solcher Passion jetzt aufhört, muss er mehr als nur körperlich erschöpft sein. Aus dem Märchen ist eine Tragödie geworden.

Translation: We have to respect that Lambiel retires because of health issues. Nevertheless the decision seems somehow precipitous and considering Lambiel's emotional constitution we should look deeper in order to find the real reasons. It could be said that all of the last Olympic Champions won the Gold Medal with one foot already in the hospital. If a figure skater with such a passion retires now, there will be more reasons than physical exhaustion. A fairy tale turned into a tragedy.

Videos
http://www.sf.tv/var/videos.php - go to "Mittagsausgabe", the next to last segment
http://www.bluewin.ch/de/index.php/501,17799/?asset_id=9662

Focus - German weekly magazine
Focus said:
Nun "sehnt er sich nach Abenteuern", will künstlerisch tätig sein, "die Welt entdecken" und eine akademische Laufbahn in Betracht ziehen. In Bern erklärte er allerdings auch: "Wenn ich hundertprozentig gesund bin, überlege ich es mir vielleicht noch einmal. Aber in diesem Moment gibt es für mich keine Rückkehr."

Translation:Now he longs for adventures, wants to get into arts (?), explore the World and perhaps go to college. In Bern he also declared: "If I am a 100% [again], I will perhaps think about it. But right now there will be no return.
He sounds kind of hopeful in here - and not because he is talking about coming back sometime, but because he has plans and dreams that he wants to fulfil, that have nothing to do with skating.

rsr.ch
Report, interviews (audio and written) - all in French

Last edited:

libby

Match Penalty
I don't think it'd fair to compare his comments on Plushy with Johnny's and use that as an excuse to call him a bad sport. First of all, these two have very different relationships with Plushy. Johnny hero-worships him, he always has, while Brian and Plushy have bad blood between them. And let's be honest, in this case, it's a little naive to say that Plushy will get back into condition quickly when Mishin himself doesn't believe that.:laugh: Brain had the more realistic response, and he wasn't as rude as you make him out to be. ;)

Yes, Brian says a lot of things that he probably should have kept to himself (like his reaction to Stephane's retirement), but let's not demonize him and look for malice in everything he says.

There's no need to exaggerate, psycho. No one "demonized" Joubert or said that there was "malice in everything he says". :sheesh:

Your statement that Johnny "hero worships" Plushenko is pretty silly. He has spoken of him respectfully (heaven forbid!), but he has never fawned over him. And as for your belief that Brian and Evgeni have a contentious relationship, in fact Plushenko has never said a negative word about Joubert at all, no matter how much Joubert criticizes him. When asked about Joubert's comments about him, Plushenko has routinely been polite and complimented Brian's skating in response and said he has no problem with him.

If Brian Joubert doesn't want people to call him a bad sport, he should learn to be a little bit gracious toward his competitors. It's that simple.

calica

Final Flight
in fact Plushenko has never said a negative word about Joubert at all, no matter how much Joubert criticizes him. When asked about Joubert's comments about him, Plushenko has routinely been polite and complimented Brian's skating in response and said he has no problem with him.

This is no true. ;);)
Plushy talk about Jouby in his book (he don´t say name but he described him)

And in 2004 , he said about "wooden" Brian, of course.... this is no bad......

libby

Match Penalty
This is no true. ;);)
Plushy talk about Jouby in his book (he don´t say name but he described him)

And in 2004 , he said about "wooden" Brian, of course.... this is no bad......

And what did he say about this unnamed skater in his book that makes you sure he was attacking Brian? Also, please give us a link to his "wooden" comment about Brian.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I thought that this thread was about Lambiel retiring. How did Joubert become the topic du jour on this thread? I think we discussed all of this regarding Joubert right after worlds so why are we doing this again? A new season is starting...so let's move on and let Stephane have a thread all to himself.

PS...Medusa thanks for the links and translations. It's always interesting to see what the skaters home country is saying.

Eevun

Final Flight
Jeez, I feel as if someone died. I also talk as if someone died... :cry:
I found myself thinking like this when the first shock had sunken in an hour after the announcement. But it is like that; a part of great fs has died. It's the Swiss (Lambiel) fans that are the most cheering, the most visible and funniest fans. The ladybug has to be the most known mascot. At least was that how I felt in Scandinavium at Worlds. No more red-black dots, no more zebra on the grandstand... :frown: You Lambiel-fans ment a lot to the sport and the atmosphere. What will you do now? We'll, I'll, miss you very much...

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But it is like that; a part of great fs has died. It's the Swiss (Lambiel) fans that are the most cheering, the most visible and funniest fans. The ladybug has to be the most known mascot. At least was that how I felt in Scandinavium at Worlds. No more red-black dots, no more zebra on the grandstand... :frown: You Lambiel-fans ment a lot to the sport and the atmosphere. What will you do now? We'll, I'll, miss you very much...

So true! I will miss very much seeing his fans in the audience at competitions too . . . what a beautiful, spirited group that is so loyal to Mr. Lambiel! :bow::love:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
while I agree that Stefan brought something special to the ice, and will continue to do so whether or not a crowd is watching, I don't think his leaving is the death of figure skating any more than MK's retirement (the interest of the 90s was already deteriorating) was...

every time a favored skater leaves there's a lot of sadness and a "what next" sort of question... but someone else comes into their own and the skating goes on. There's an excitement with the new generation that is starting to show itself....

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
while I agree that Stefan brought something special to the ice, and will continue to do so whether or not a crowd is watching, I don't think his leaving is the death of figure skating any more than MK's retirement (the interest of the 90s was already deteriorating) did...

every time a favored skater leaves there's a lot of sadness and a "what next" sort of question... but someone else comes into their own and the skating goes on. There's an excitement with the new generation that is starting to show itself....

I agree and I think that the door is now open to so many other skaters that I can't wait to see.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
libby said:
If Brian Joubert doesn't want people to call him a bad sport, he should learn to be a little bit gracious toward his competitors. It's that simple.
Must we really do this again? Yes, Brian Joubert sometimes says things he shouldn't, and expresses himself in a less than perfect manner. But he's also been positive about many other skaters in interviews, including Plushenko and Buttle - check the archives here at Golden Skate. His views on the quad have been known for years. His argument about the effects of touring on a competitive career isn't new, either.

As Joe (I think) pointed out several hours ago, this thread should be about Stephane Lambiel's career and achievements and not about Brian's graciousness or lack thereof. And as sillylionlove just wrote, this topic has been discussed quite enough.

Need we repeat. Lambiel two World Titles; Silver Medal Olympics. Joubert - his best skate in 2007 was the SP at Worlds which gave him his only Title but not the glory.
And Lambiel didn't medal at Worlds until 2005 and at Euros until 2006. He never won Euros. So what? They are both great skaters, each in his own way. If ever there was an apples and oranges comparison, this is it. I enjoy watching both of them skate, and each brings something different to the ice. It would have been wonderful if Stephane could have continued on until Vancouver and the sport would have been richer for it. But it's not to be, and I hope to see him in future exhibitions, where he won't be constrained by CoP (chances of this happenning: small. Eurosport doesn't show galas too often) :frown:. I also hope to see Brian do well this coming season.

Tonichelle said:
Right now all my favorites are from the group that started out on the senior level around the time of SLC or just after. I'm really hoping to find some new skaters I can enjoy watching before the next wave of retirements hits...

libby

Match Penalty
Must we really do this again? Yes, Brian Joubert sometimes says things he shouldn't, and expresses himself in a less than perfect manner. But he's also been positive about many other skaters in interviews, including Plushenko and Buttle - check the archives here at Golden Skate. His views on the quad have been known for years. His argument about the effects of touring on a competitive career isn't new, either.

As Joe (I think) pointed out several hours ago, this thread should be about Stephane Lambiel's career and achievements and not about Brian's graciousness or lack thereof. And as sillylionlove just wrote, this topic has been discussed quite enough.

I can never understand why the people who rant that a thread should NOT discuss a certain person or topic always feel the need to do it by discussing that very topic at length, all the while scolding everyone else not to do so.......:scratch:

If you don't think Brian and his comments should be discussed, why not just not discuss them?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
This is incredibly sad news, but probably for the best. I hope to see Lambiel in many shows.

As for Joubert, LOL. He needs to get some perspective. Such a whiner.