Lambiel announces retirement | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Lambiel announces retirement

evplu

Rinkside
It isn´t fair to blame Joubert.
In his statement I hear a lot of sadness that all his rivals are retiring. He would like to compete against them. This istwhat I hearing in his words.
Joubert often talks good about his rivals, especially about Lambiel. He respects him a lot.
And maybe it isn´t easy for him, that another athlete has another attitude. I think it´s normal. If you want to have succes you have to believe in what are you doing. And Joubert does all for his career.

As for Lambiel. I Iove his skating. And I will miss him so much. But in my opinion, if he feels weak, he is going the right way with his retire!!!
He shouldn´t risk all for this olympic medal. Live is so much more!!!!
And in this german interview he sad, he wants to stay health after his career!
I wish him all the best for his future and will follow his pro career!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

stevlin

On the Ice
Joubert needs some class.

There has always been a rivalry between them in skating, but I did not realize that the personal attitude of Joubert came to such caustic, and specious observations. A simple "That's tough!" would have been the way to go without expressing any sorrow.

I can imagine what he thinks of Buttle.

Actually I like Joubert's skating. But for him to talk about Jeffrey Buttle saying he did not do the quad and shouldn't have won Worlds is dumb. Jeff won by the tech. marks and by a lot of points. Jeffrey did not fall on any jumps, did triples in combination. Skated a beautiful artistic program, he is very musical in his skating. Jeffrey won the short program and the long program as well. How could Brian win when he was like 6th in the sp? He also fell on a jump and did a single jump in the lp.;). Sure Brian did a quad but there is more than 4 minutes to a long program, you have to do more than just jumps. Jeffrey deserved that Gold medal, artistically and technically. He is just Heaven to watch on the ice. Sorry to see Lambiel retire but he knows what is best for him and his health. I would love to see Brian Joubert develop a little class. Also would love to see him do a decent sit spin.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It isn´t fair to blame Joubert.
In his statement I hear a lot of sadness that all his rivals are retiring. He would like to compete against them.

Joubert should focus on beating Takahashi, who is more than match for him. Takahashi's performance at Four Continents last season was technically stronger than anything Joubert has ever done. Maybe he should think about that since he seems to think he's so technically superior to everyone else and that this aspect of skating is the only part which matters.

EDIT - Aww, that's a really sweet picture.

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Joubert should focus on beating Takahashi, who is more than match for him. Takahashi's performance at Four Continents last season was technically stronger than anything Joubert has ever done. Maybe he should think about that since he seems to think he's so technically superior to everyone else and that this aspect of skating is the only part which matters.

EDIT - Aww, that's a really sweet picture.

Even Lysacek can be a tough competition if he lands a clean quad since his spins and footwork are superior.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think this really opens the door for the american men and Joubert. Jeff, world champ has retired, and Stephane, reigning GPF champ is gone. Those two were big threats for gold at worlds and Stephane was almost a shoe in for a medal of some kind. This will be very interesting to see where to balance of power falls.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I respect you do not like Joubert, and who does not agree with it, but please do not implies that things are not true.You can like his opinion or not, but he has supported it from March up to today; he does not take advantage of Jeff's retired to criticize it

I actually do quite like Joubert's skating - especially the work he's done with Browning. What i dislike are his public statements putting other skaters down which is something he does nearly every time he opens his mouth. He refers to difficult technical elements referring to 2008 worlds but seems to ignore the two triple axels Jeff landed plus the complete set of other triples. Joubert seems to think think that "technical" means the quad and nothing else - forgetting that his own consistency on the quad is not that great (albeit the best of the current crop but not anywhere near as consistent and Plushenko and Yagudin in their day), he himself made a mistake on his axel at 2008 worlds and furthermore by his own admission he cannot do a flip due to his edge change. Also his spins are average to poor at best. These are all technical things he seems to overlook when criticising other skaters technical ability.

To say that Lambiel's fatigue, so much physics as mentally, can be due to the excess of shows, it is not a critique, is HIS possible explanation to Lambiel's retire.
Since you can read, he says that the same thing happened to him in 2005.

Yes he did say that the same thing happened to him in 2005, the way it comes across though is in a patronizing and condescending way. It's said to boost himself, but while simultaneously taking a swipe at Lambiel.

It is not routine contemptuous, is simply that journalist ask him for the rest of skaters.
In addition, he did not say that Plushenko does not have possibilities of returning, but that are very difficult for him after two years of pause.
As for the overweight, he said it in October, 2007, after the Golden Skate Awardas, and did not say any lie.

The journalist might have asked him but he doesn't have to say anything negative about the rest of the skaters. He could simply have wished Lambiel well. He could have expressed surprise that the reigning world champion is retiring despite the fact the olympics are in his home country. What he didn't have to do is take a dig a Buttle by saying he won without trying the most difficult technical elements, and he didn't have to imply that had Lambiel done less shows he might have been able to continue. That's just him being negative in an attempt to make himself look better.

Ant

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aw, I will miss Stephane in competitive events. :cry: I hope he gets to do a lot of show skating!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
:frown2: I never meant to turn Stephane's Thread into another Joubert vs Buttle thread.
I though it was interessting to have Joubert's words about Stephane's retirement.
rosee, I think at this point any discussion of Joubert is almost like bringing up politics: people filter it through their existing attitudes and perceptions, whether positive or negative. Personally, I think his point about skating a lot of galas is a reasonable one and without seeing the full statement and context, I'd rather not read too much into it.

IIRC, this subject has come up here before - whether Stephane's competitive career suffered because he needed to do shows (or chose to them). As someone who will likely not get to see his pro performances, I'm sad to have "lost" a skater I've enjoyed watching, and it's unfortunate if doing galas hastened his retirement. But Stephane Lambiel obviously has to do what's right for himself, his health and his happiness, and not what I or any other fan wanted him to do. I'm sure he has a bright future ahead, and maybe there'll be some fun stuff to watch on youtube (if so, I'd be happy if people could post links!).

Blades of Passion said:
Takahashi's performance at Four Continents last season was technically stronger than anything Joubert has ever done. Maybe he should think about that since he seems to think he's so technically superior to everyone else and that this aspect of skating is the only part which matters.
But didn't Joubert say before Worlds it'll be him, Stephane or Dai? Obviously wrong, in retrospect, but hardly a slight of Takahashi's skating. I have not watched the 4CCs event from last year so I can't comment as to Takahashi's performances there. Generally I think he has a lot of talent, but I did not like the choreo for his 2008 SP and it kind of turned me against him last year. I know, I'm the only one :cool:. The Bachelorette EX was cool, and I understand the person who choreographed that is doing his programs for this season, so that's something to look forward to.

With Stephane (and Jeffrey Buttle) gone, I'd say there are maybe two or three skaters who really control their own destiny when it comes to winning major events, and another somewhat larger group of skaters who need the top guys to make mistakes but who can win it under some circumstances.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With Stephane Lambiel and Jeffrey Buttle out, the remaining mens' World medalist picture consists of Brian Joubert (1 World gold in 2007 and 3 World silvers in 2004, 2006, and 2008 - uh oh! for Brian, he has a silver finish developing for even number years, and 2007 Grand Prix Final gold), Daisuke Takahashi (1 World silver in 2007, arguably should have won gold by many skating fans, and 2007 and 2008 Grand Prix Final silver), Evan Lysacek (2 World bronzes in 2005 and 2006 and 2008 Grand Prix Final bronze), and Johnny Weir (1 World bronze in 2008).

Other steady contenders include Patrick Chan and Nobunari Oda (2007 Grand Prix Final bronze). They are the only two skaters of the other non-World medalist contenders who have wins on the Grand Prix circuit so far in this Olympic cycle, as well as top 10 World finishes.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
With Stephane Lambiel and Jeffrey Buttle out, the remaining mens' World medalist picture consists of Brian Joubert (1 World gold in 2007 and 3 World silvers in 2004, 2006, and 2008 - uh oh! for Brian, he has a silver finish developing for even number years, and 2007 Grand Prix Final gold), Daisuke Takahashi (1 World silver in 2007, arguably should have won gold by many skating fans, and 2007 and 2008 Grand Prix Final silver), Evan Lysacek (2 World bronzes in 2005 and 2006 and 2008 Grand Prix Final bronze), and Johnny Weir (1 World bronze in 2008).

Other steady contenders include Patrick Chan and Nobunari Oda (2007 Grand Prix Final bronze). They are the only two skaters of the other non-World medalist contenders who have wins on the Grand Prix circuit so far in this Olympic cycle, as well as top 10 World finishes.

Those top 4 are certainly the 4 most likely to get the medals at the next Worlds and Olympics. Tomas Verner needs to be in that secondary group as well.

rosee

On the Ice
Those top 4 are certainly the 4 most likely to get the medals at the next Worlds and Olympics. Tomas Verner needs to be in that secondary group as well.

I agree. Tomas could be in the first group but consistency is a real problem for him.

BTW, I've rewatched Poeta today and it still give me chills.

Last edited:

goldenpleasures

On the Ice

Sergei Voronov is just as likely (or more likely) to medal as Chan and Oda IMO.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't include Tomas Verner and Sergei Voronov because they have not yet qualified for a senior Grand Prix Final and they have not yet won a senior Grand Prix event. They certainly are capable, but they need better consistency! :)

Hopefully, they can improve and show more of their flashes of brilliance, like Verner's 2008 Euros and 2007 Worlds LP and like Voronov's 2008 Worlds LP and 2007 Trophee Eric Bompard LP. They need to sustain those levels of performances for a longer period of time. Verner too often suffers in the LP while Voronov suffers in the SP. So far this season, they are starting slowly, but hopefully, they can peak at the right time.

Last edited:

rosee

On the Ice
By request, here the translation of the second part of this article: http://www.eurosport.fr/patinageartistique/lambiel-range-ses-patins_sto1728977/story.shtml

The retirement of two of his oponents for the Vancouver Olympics doesn't satisfy Brian Joubert (24 years), 2nd at worlds and et N.3 at the ISU standings behind the japanese Daisuke Takahashi and the czech Tomas Verner.
"I don't get it. Honestly I don't understand, either for Buttle or for Lambiel", said the 2007 Worlds Champion and the two times European Champion (2007, 2004), who missed the Torino Olympics (finishing only 6).
"Buttle had a great competiton at worlds, even if he did not try any major technical difficulties. He won the title and I think that he knows He's not going to win it a second time. He probably wnated to retire with a victory but the Olympic Games are at his home. He could have won a second olympic medal" says Joubert.

"Lambiel, I don't know why he's retiring. I don't understand. But Since his second world title, he was not well anymore mentaly", he adds. When we talk about his physical shape, Joubert reply:
"It's true. Unlike Stéphane Lambiel, I don't do a lot of galas. So yes, I get less money. But it's something my mum told me: "If you want to win medals, you'll have money, if you want money, you will not win medals". And it work for me. There were some seasons like 2005, where I did more galas, so earned more money, but in the end, I didn't get any title because I was drained both physically and mentaly".

Joubert, thinks already about 2010 and remains cautious. "I don't want to be 100% this season. I want to keep some ressources for the olympic year. The year I became world champion, I had 3 quads in my program. This year, it's not the case. But maybe it'll be the case suring the olympic year. We're going to proceed step by step in order to be ready The D-Day."