Leather boots without padding for leisure skater? | Golden Skate

Leather boots without padding for leisure skater?

Borealis

Spectator
Hi,

I'm getting back into skating in my late forties and was wondering if there are still any old-fashioned bootmakers out there. I grew up with leather-only boots, no padding and couldn't find any.

The vendor even told me it's hard to find leather skates these days, but I need leather, my feet react badly to synthetic shoes.

I am a leisure skater and will never progress to jumps, for example.

Currently in Risport Antares. Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi,

I'm getting back into skating in my late forties and was wondering if there are still any old-fashioned bootmakers out there. I grew up with leather-only boots, no padding and couldn't find any.

The vendor even told me it's hard to find leather skates these days, but I need leather, my feet react badly to synthetic shoes.

I am a leisure skater and will never progress to jumps, for example.

Currently in Risport Antares. Thanks!
There are still some styles of boot that are leather out there. Some styles of Risport and Jackson are still leather, as well as many of Riedell.
There's still going to be some kind of lining in them though, some light some not so much depending on the boot and it's skill level/stiffness rating. Otherwise, you're looking at custom boots that cost alot $$$$$$$. Harlick and SPTeri make stock boots that are clarino (man-made leather), but you are going to pay a pretty penny for those 620USD plus for many of them (for comparison that's equivalent to some top of the line stock boots with higher stiffness in other brands.
You need to get a professional fitting (and not by a hockey tech which is common at pro shops in rinks). That way they know what brand your foot works with best (foot shape, arches etc). And can also suggest a boot that is going to be stiff enough for your height/weight and other stats.
What area of the world are you in? I and others can suggest a pro fitter for you.

Good luck! :)

Borealis

Spectator
There are still some styles of boot that are leather out there. Some styles of Risport and Jackson are still leather, as well as many of Riedell.
There's still going to be some kind of lining in them though, some light some not so much depending on the boot and it's skill level/stiffness rating. Otherwise, you're looking at custom boots that cost alot $$$$$$$. Harlick and SPTeri make stock boots that are clarino (man-made leather), but you are going to pay a pretty penny for those 620USD plus for many of them (for comparison that's equivalent to some top of the line stock boots with higher stiffness in other brands.
You need to get a professional fitting (and not by a hockey tech which is common at pro shops in rinks). That way they know what brand your foot works with best (foot shape, arches etc). And can also suggest a boot that is going to be stiff enough for your height/weight and other stats.
What area of the world are you in? I and others can suggest a pro fitter for you.

Good luck! :)
Thanks so much. I am in Normandy, France, but also frequently travel to the Paris or Bordeaux area, on the offchance anyone knows fitters there. I chose Risports because they were almost the only leather boot carried locally, in my budget (around €200). They're fine, I'm just nostalgic, maybe! I'm not used to all the padding.
I will look into what you mentioned. Thanks

nolwenn

Rinkside
Thanks so much. I am in Normandy, France, but also frequently travel to the Paris or Bordeaux area, on the offchance anyone knows fitters there. I chose Risports because they were almost the only leather boot carried locally, in my budget (around €200). They're fine, I'm just nostalgic, maybe! I'm not used to all the padding.
I will look into what you mentioned. Thanks
If you are travelling toward the Alps or Germany/Austria, you may look into Wifa skates : they don't make elite boots any more but still good quality old fashioned intermediate leather boots : https://wifa.at/shopping

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I’m in Germany, and a lot of the rec skaters I know wear Wifa skates and are quite happy with them.

While the padding may be a big change, as your ankles get older, you’ll probably appreciate it more, as it’s more comfortable. At least, that’s what the older (65+) skaters at my rink tell me!

Borealis

Spectator
I’m in Germany, and a lot of the rec skaters I know wear Wifa skates and are quite happy with them.

While the padding may be a big change, as your ankles get older, you’ll probably appreciate it more, as it’s more comfortable. At least, that’s what the older (65+) skaters at my rink tell me!
Danke for your reply! Third rec for Wifa's.

Borealis

Spectator
Yeah Wifa is the way to go!

Else you can try to find old stock Risport Laser
My local secondhand marketplace has a pair of Risport Super Cristallo's in my size. They also look like leather only, from the pictures. MK 1 star blades (I'm so new at this I don't really get all the blade types! But picks don't usually trip me up, I always had figure skates as a kid and teen.)