Let’s dance 80’s! New Rhythm Dance article | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Let’s dance 80’s! New Rhythm Dance article

gleungc6

On the Ice
For anyone who wants to see more 80s in action the Junior RD at Canadian sectionals is happening right now, free livestream

There has been ‘don’t stop Believing’ and Janet Jackson already

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For anyone who wants to see more 80s in action the Junior RD at Canadian sectionals is happening right now, free livestream

There has been ‘don’t stop Believing’ and Janet Jackson already

Wow! I would have sworn that Journey's original version of "Don't Stop Believing" was from the 70's. But, it was from 1981.

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

I absolutely love the original, and would be delighted to see people skating to it rather than the covers that they always seem to go for.

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
senior rhythm dance about to happen at Skate Ontario July sectionals...

might give us an idea about what's coming our way this season... from the boards, I can see some very exciting outfits ;)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
dat hair !!!!
Which I certainly hope is her own, spiked and gelled, and not a wig. A very long time ago, one well-known skater (I forget who, but it was reported in one of the skating magazines) was performing in a show on the outdoor rink in New York, with a long ponytail as part of her look. Until she went into a fast scratch spin and the fake ponytail came loose and launched itself into the audience like a flying squirrel. :laugh2:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love the hair and the outfits.

I was alive and kicking in the 80s, and have no idea what this music is :eek2: Maybe it's the really bad sound system.

ETA: *that* was Tina Turner? I guess my hearing is really going. I recognized "Simply the Best" once I tried really hard. :)

As far as I know, no team has chosen one of the great bands from the 80s, Maze with Frankie Beverly. Just too much music!

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Even if we didn't have the unfortunate circumstances of her death happening just before the start of a season with an 80's music theme, there would be something badly wrong if there were no Tina Turner programmes. Although Tina had a long career, she WAS the 80s!

And not a bad choice of song you are suggesting. It would work well. Here's another that I think would work well:

Tina Turner - "Private Dancer"

No to "Private Dancer" due to the lyrics.

I don't see the problem with the lyrics.
Especially not with half of the 14 year olds doing Roxanne and Billie Jean.

Really great choice of music and costumes for the 80s RD belongs to a Polish couple.

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Didn't I tell you all it would work well?! :biggrin:

Any comment @Ic3Rabbit? :p

CaroLiza_fan

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I think one thing this theme has exposed is which choreographers understand music and "dance" and which skaters tend to skate through music with movements not related to movement. I'm going to hate 80s by the end of the season, but there are some fun programs (especially from juniors).

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I love the hair and the outfits.

I was alive and kicking in the 80s, and have no idea what this music is :eek2: Maybe it's the really bad sound system.

ETA: *that* was Tina Turner? I guess my hearing is really going. I recognized "Simply the Best" once I tried really hard.
I've never heard (of) virtually all the songs and their performers being used so far. My kids were small in the 1980s and our driving music was kiddy-pop. Disney soundtracks were tolerable for the first dozen or two repeats; Alvin and the Chipmunks, for the adult driver, not so much; Sesame Street (Let's Go Driving was a big hit in my Honda). When watching dance events this season I've tended to put them on mute and just watch the skating in silence, paying attention to technique and letting others judge the interpretation.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Really great choice of music and costumes for the 80s RD belongs to a Polish couple.
Oh my god, someone who actually took more than a quick gander at the visuals! (The juniors, much as I like them, and what I have seen of the early seniors, have all blithely ignored what the eighties looked like for a lot of wannabesortofretro handwavium. I expected as much from many men, but I am feeling let down by the women).

(I think - and hope, for the sake of her own tresses' health - it's a wig)

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
:points: to miss Polibinina for understanding the assignment 🥲 i'm so moved i could cry
Oh my god, someone who actually took more than a quick gander at the visuals! (The juniors, much as I like them, and what I have seen of the early seniors, have all blithely ignored what the eighties looked like for a lot of wannabesortofretro handwavium. I expected as much from many men, but I am feeling let down by the women).

(I think - and hope, for the sake of her own tresses' health - it's a wig)
that's definitely a wig, look at the hairline

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Didn't I tell you all it would work well?! :biggrin:

Any comment @Ic3Rabbit? :p

CaroLiza_fan
Well, since you felt the need to call me out on this one: I still say the music is inappropriate. And no, I'm not a prude. And I don't care that they are adults. I will give them the hair (wig or not) and costumes: Those were great. But.......
They could have worked around the lyrics with a good editor and choreographer and not used the "risque" parts of the lyrics and still used it and I would have said okay, fine. But no. Nothing about doing a RD to lyrics "Dancer for money, do what you want me to do" makes it not about prostitution or being a stripper. They chose it, I didn't LOL. Plenty of other great 80's music, even from Tina Turner that could have been used and not be inappropriate/risque. And for the record from a former competitive ice dancer---no it didn't really work as great as you think lol.

And FWIW-I'm not a fan of teams using "Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard either, or at least particular parts of lyrics.

And I will completely agree with what @kolyadafan2002 said: This theme for RD this year greatly exposes which choreographers/coaches and teams care/understand about music and dance and who just said: Free ticket to do this (even if they don't understand, want to understand or care).

So, @CaroLiza_fan: We will just have to continue to agree to disagree on this one and leave it at that.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well, since you felt the need to call me out on this one: I still say the music is inappropriate. And no, I'm not a prude. And I don't care that they are adults. I will give them the hair (wig or not) and costumes: Those were great. But.......
They could have worked around the lyrics with a good editor and choreographer and not used the "risque" parts of the lyrics and still used it and I would have said okay, fine. But no. Nothing about doing a RD to lyrics "Dancer for money, do what you want me to do" makes it not about prostitution or being a stripper. They chose it, I didn't LOL. Plenty of other great 80's music, even from Tina Turner that could have been used and not be inappropriate/risque. And for the record from a former competitive ice dancer---no it didn't really work as great as you think lol.

And FWIW-I'm not a fan of teams using "Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard either, or at least particular parts of lyrics.

And I will completely agree with what @kolyadafan2002 said: This theme for RD this year greatly exposes which choreographers/coaches and teams care/understand about music and dance and who just said: Free ticket to do this (even if they don't understand, want to understand or care).

So, @CaroLiza_fan: We will just have to continue to agree to disagree on this one and leave it at that.

It was not a personal attack. I just wanted to let you know that somebody had gone down that route, and wanted to know your opinion of it.

I have to disagree with you about the lyrics. I have read through the lyrics, and there in there is nothing whatsoever in there that indicates that it is about a stripper or a prostitute:

https://lyrics.lyricfind.com/en-GB/lyrics/tina-turner-private-dancer

It is about a person who dances for a living. Not all dancers are strippers. And not all dancers (or strippers, for that matter) are prostitutes.

You are a professional skater. When you boil it all down, you "dance for money". That doesn't make you a stripper, or a prostitute. And I am sure you would be extremely angry if you thought that people assumed that you were a stripper or a prostitute because you dance for a living.

Moving on from the issue of the lyrics, if you are saying that the skating wasn't great, I do agree with you on that one. But, it's early in the season, and I wanted to give the partnership the benefit of the doubt rather than face backlash for saying out loud that they aren't the best (no pun intended). It was more the concept of the programme that I thought worked. And still do.

As for @kolyadafan2002's comments, I totally agree with him. There are too many skaters / choreographers / coaches that don't have a real understanding of the music that they are working with.

I know this is a thread about Ice Dance, but I watched Anna-Flora Colmor Jepsen's Free Skate at last week's Junior GP yesterday (I watched the Short Programme LIVE). Although there were mistakes on the skating side of things, Ted Barton was full of praise for her interpretation, saying that you could see she had a real understanding of the music.

Anna-Flora Colmor Jepsen (DEN) - 2023 ISU Junior Grand Prix Budapest FS

And for those that are interested in seeing more, here is her SP:

Anna-Flora Colmor Jepsen (DEN) - 2023 ISU Junior Grand Prix Budapest SP

These programmes (like all of Anna-Flora's programmes) were choreographed by her older sister, Leonora Colmor Jepsen. Leonora is a former Singles skater, who had a brief one season sojourn into Ice Dance when brother Linus needed a partner. She is also a singer, becoming Denmark's entry in the 2019 Eurovision Song Contest (it was a nice wee song, not one of those joke songs that Eurovision is plagued with). And all these things brought together have made her into a brilliant choreographer. And she is still only 24.

You can see from the resultant programmes that these two young sisters really do understand the music they are working with. And it really does put a lot of far more experienced skaters and choreographers to shame. I don't know if this is the case, but I get the impression that quite a few skaters and choreographers are treating the music as mere background noise, rather as the integral part of the programme that it is supposed to be. The skaters and their teams are only concerned with building up as many points as they can on the TES side, and are neglecting the PCS side. And that is not right. I'm not saying that TES and PCS should necessarily be equally balanced, but there should be more of a balance than we are getting now.

Sorry for going off on a tangent.

CaroLiza_fan

icewhite

Record Breaker
It was not a personal attack. I just wanted to let you know that somebody had gone down that route, and wanted to know your opinion of it.

I have to disagree with you about the lyrics. I have read through the lyrics, and there in there is nothing whatsoever in there that indicates that it is about a stripper or a prostitute:

https://lyrics.lyricfind.com/en-GB/lyrics/tina-turner-private-dancer

It is about a person who dances for a living. Not all dancers are strippers. And not all dancers (or strippers, for that matter) are prostitutes.

You are a professional skater. When you boil it all down, you "dance for money". That doesn't make you a stripper, or a prostitute. And I am sure you would be extremely angry if you thought that people assumed that you were a stripper or a prostitute because you dance for a living.

Moving on from the issue of the lyrics, if you are saying that the skating wasn't great, I do agree with you on that one. But, it's early in the season, and I wanted to give the partnership the benefit of the doubt rather than face backlash for saying out loud that they aren't the best (no pun intended). It was more the concept of the programme that I thought worked. And still do.

As for @kolyadafan2002's comments, I totally agree with him. There are too many skaters / choreographers / coaches that don't have a real understanding of the music that they are working with.

I know this is a thread about Ice Dance, but I watched Anna-Flora Colmor Jepsen's Free Skate at last week's Junior GP yesterday (I watched the Short Programme LIVE). Although there were mistakes on the skating side of things, Ted Barton was full of praise for her interpretation, saying that you could see she had a real understanding of the music.

Anna-Flora Colmor Jepsen (DEN) - 2023 ISU Junior Grand Prix Budapest FS

And for those that are interested in seeing more, here is her SP:

Anna-Flora Colmor Jepsen (DEN) - 2023 ISU Junior Grand Prix Budapest SP

These programmes (like all of Anna-Flora's programmes) were choreographed by her older sister, Leonora Colmor Jepsen. Leonora is a former Singles skater, who had a brief one season sojourn into Ice Dance when brother Linus needed a partner. She is also a singer, becoming Denmark's entry in the 2019 Eurovision Song Contest (it was a nice wee song, not one of those joke songs that Eurovision is plagued with). And all these things brought together have made her into a brilliant choreographer. And she is still only 24.

You can see from the resultant programmes that these two young sisters really do understand the music they are working with. And it really does put a lot of far more experienced skaters and choreographers to shame. I don't know if this is the case, but I get the impression that quite a few skaters and choreographers are treating the music as mere background noise, rather as the integral part of the programme that it is supposed to be. The skaters and their teams are only concerned with building up as many points as they can on the TES side, and are neglecting the PCS side. And that is not right. I'm not saying that TES and PCS should necessarily be equally balanced, but there should be more of a balance than we are getting now.

Sorry for going off on a tangent.

CaroLiza_fan

I'm quite sure it's about a stripper, but I don't see the problem with that. Music is full of not only such lyrics, but it (prostitution rather than stripping) is also a common topic of classical music. I like the perspective and feelings in this song very much.
And the costumes are just great fun, perfect, basically better than everything I have seen in the RDs this season so far!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
it (prostitution rather than stripping) is also a common topic of classical music.
La Traviata anyone?

I could live without fluffy programs to explicit lyrics myself, but it's not as if teenagers weren't listening to them and watching the videos in the 80s (Girls on Film or Relax, anyone? Just off the top of my head)