Marshall's On NOW! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Marshall's On NOW!

sk8m8 said:
After the LONG season, perhaps the 16 year old Kimmie was the only one who wanted to do two numbers :laugh:
:laugh: But I think they all did two numbers in the show. It was up to ABC to decide which ones to show on TV.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Where are Petukhov and Gregory?

Will Jim McKay's piece on Kwan be known as the "Out to Pasture Tribute"?

Last edited:

Wolfgang

On the Ice
This is scary, it's like the second time this year I'm agreeing with Mr. Button.....(the first was when he called Shizuka Arakawa a 'lady' at the Olympics)
He said Kimmie is 16 going on 19, and man, she's catching up fast in the elegance and feminine departments!
Sasha and Irina did great (incidentally, so did Weird Johnny), they actually looked like they were enjoying themselves, as opposed to Torino/Calgary.

Lucy25

Final Flight
nubka said:
While I like the style/cut of Michelle's dress, I'd rather see her in something lighter and "slightly semi-sparkley." She certainly does like purple (she did have some major wedgie action going on there...)
The dress they showed on tv was blue :).

The wedgie thing was a bit distracting but only because she hardly ever has that problem.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha's God Bless America gave me goosebumps!!

I was surprised at Irina's costume. Normally she does pretty good with her costumes but this one made it seem like she had a hairy chest.

Dee

Bill508

Rinkside
Was hoping for an short interview with Shizuka or something but at least I got to see her skate so Im a happy camper.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Shizuka's Ina Bauer was worth the price of admission...just gorgeous!

Lonewolf

On the Ice
Sasha and Michelle performances were wonderfully done. I think Kimmie’s first routine was also well done artistically, IMO, it shows her artistic potential in coming years. Her limited performances with COI this summer will also help I am sure.

As for the ABC coverage, they really needed another hour at least, I was somewhat disappointed they did not show Sasha’s interview.

R.D.

Record Breaker
They did show at least one of everyone, though, and that was good. In order to show two of Kwan or Cohen they'd have to "chack" another skater completely. Then we'd hear complaints about "XYZ Skater was not shown!" Can't win, really...and I thought they chose the right skater to show two of, if they had to choose only one. She is an American world champion and I think she deserves all the hype she gets now. Contrast this with when she was hyped two years ago with the 3A thingy.

soogar

Record Breaker
Well they are focusing on Kimmie b.c she is cute as a button in her interviews and like her or not, she's the next great one. I don't know if Michelle is getting the hint or not with the eulogies, but face it, her competitive career is over. She isn't going to be a top skater anymore. And Michelle's number was boring. Without jumps there really isn't a lot to her skating.

As for Sasha, I think her time is "over". She can't deliver the goods and I think the network is going to focus on the next big thing. Ironically, I think this might be the best thing for Sasha because I don't think all that expectation is good for her skating anyway. Now that there is a new star and it seems that hope has been lost for her, she might be able to get herself together.

I loved all the US men though I really didn't care for Matt's music. It was really jarring but he was wonderful as usual. Evan was a rock star as usual. I agree with Dick Button that Evan is a good actor. Evan has mentioned wanting to go into acting and I think that of all the skater actor wannabes, Evan is the most natural. I wonder how Frank feels about Evan as Evan reminds me a lot of Bowman the Showman. Same natural acting ability and crowd pleasing flair.

nubka

Final Flight
Lucy25 said:
The dress they showed on tv was blue :).

The wedgie thing was a bit distracting but only because she hardly ever has that problem.

Wow, it sure looks dark purple in all the photos. It didn't look blue at all...(royal blue can sometimes looks a bit " purpley.")

ladybug

On the Ice
I thought the whole show was really good. I enjoyed it very much.

As far as Michelle goes, she doesn't need jumps to put out the perfect performance. As Peggy said, she was having a conversation with the audience and also with the television cameras.

Also, not one bit of conversation went on while she skated and I wouldn't be surprised if Dick Button was too choked up after she finished to make a comment. Terry stepped in (to help him out). JMO

Ladybug

rob43

On the Ice
I love Michelle- but I really think that program was designed for jumps. The problem to me wasn't lack of content but lack of pauses or separation so that movements, moves and sections were more noticable.

As for Michelle being washed up. Dream on- if she can get back the triples except the top and regain the 2 ax she will be fine. She simply will just not be a lock for a top two finish everywhere (which she hasn't been since fall 01 anyway.) If she skates to a well organized (and I purposely use the word organized instead of choreographed) program she will score really well.

I think Michelle can still compete and most of the women I think are capable of besting her are either also aging (Irina & Arakawa) or facing growing pains (the young Japanese and Kimmie/Katie). So I really think her shot is as good as any.

And anyone who thinks Bowman and Evan are similar has no memory. Bowman was much flashier (think Sasha) but completely lacked work ethic, diet, discipline and the ability to keep alcohol and drugs out of his system. I doubt Frank gives a flying flip about acting lessons since sent he sent Kwan to them- its the extracurriculars that burned him out on Bowman.

Vash01

Medalist
I was a bit disappointed because ABC showed just one number per skater (except for Kimmie's two). I had read that each skater would skate two numbers, so I felt a bit cheated. This was a 3-hour program live. We got just 2 hours on TV, including commercials, interviews and fluff pieces. Actually some interviews were a part of the show, i think. Still, it was good to see some FS. It's going to be a long drought until the next season begins.

Vash

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
A few short comments about ladies and men:

Cohen - She is so fantastic in interpreting music, any music (versatile skater). Besides her beautiful moving on the ice is always such a great pleasure to watch. I really think that her futures lies much more in show skating than in competing, she would be such an asset to SOI!!!

Weir - A great pleasure to watch his flow on the ice. Sometimes though I would be curious to see how he would interpret different kinds of music. I always dislike to listen to Button´s comments, especially here. Besides, the live audience did not seem to agree with them either, LOL.

Meissner -. I got the impression that there is not much feeling. Here she was created a choreography with moves and hand gestures which she did according to the choreography, but not anything more to show a true interpretation of music.

Lysacek - WOW, he is SOOO FANTASTIC!!! What an interpretation, personality, charisma and power... He is a VERY versatile skater, so fantastic the way he goes all out. I sure hope that SOI understands to grab this skater when he quits the eligible skating, because they desperately need some male personality there and he would be totally wasted on Collins Champions on Ice tour, in my opinion.

Slutskaya - I have not enjoyed her skating for years, but Fosse was enjoyable as the music and choreography really suits her. I was surprised, because I did not expect it.

Savoie - Very enjoyable to watch.

Arakawa - She has lots of feeling and power in her skating, and she interprets music wonderfully. I really, really enjoyed this programme!

Plushenko - I like the beautiful music of Tosca, but did not think that it suits him very well. On the other hand it is always a pleasure to watch his skating and he has lots and lots of power and charisma and he draws the audience into his skating.

Kwan - Typical Kwan programme, nothing new. As always, outwardly very polished looking skating, but lacks true feeling, in my opinion. This time she did not do any jumps because of injuries.

Hughes - Did not especially like her sister´s skating, but Emily sure is a different person, LOL. Really liked her prerformance. She seems to have feeling and "I" can feel that she is enjoying what she is doing on the ice (the same impression I have gotten from her competitive skating, also). Good luck to Emily in future!

Last edited:
rob43 said:
I love Michelle - but I really think that program was designed for jumps...
I had that feeling, too. There were a number of what seemed like "put jump here" moments in the choreography. It will be interesting to see how the program develops over the summer.

Still -- it was such a joy and a comfort to see her back on the ice. Different strokes for different folks, but for me, Michelle's skating brings a feeling of "God is in his heaven and all is right with the world."

Soogar said:
I loved all the US men though I really didn't care for Matt's music. It was really jarring...
You didn't like that great 1960s funk classic Summertime by Billy Stewart?!!!!!! Takes me back to my college days! :rock:

MM :)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I wonder why they showed the programs that, according to reports, the skaters are doing on COI. It would seem more sensible to me if they showed the programs the skaters were not doing -- so, to seem them both, you have to buy tickets as well as watch TV

katymay

Medalist
Gosh Jasper, you missed it? You missed nothing, it was boring, the skating was horrible, and I can't imagine spending money to watch skaters phone it in for two hours. Except for Kimmie and Emily who seemed to actually care....the rest were.....yawn.