Marshall's On NOW! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Marshall's On NOW!

katymay

Medalist
I think they showed Kimmie because she can actually still SKATE. Please people, give me a break, Michelle skated a few edges and moved her arms. She is overweight, has a double chin and can barely even do a spin any more. (her dress was pretty though). Sasha was almost as boring, and even if she skated to a patriotic melody I don't think I would want to see a second program from her. I found the entire exhibition pretty much devoid of excitement.

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

katymay said:
I think they showed Kimmie because she can actually still SKATE. Please people, give me a break, Michelle skated a few edges and moved her arms. She is overweight, has a double chin and can barely even do a spin any more. (her dress was pretty though). Sasha was almost as boring, and even if she skated to a patriotic melody I don't think I would want to see a second program from her. I found the entire exhibition pretty much devoid of excitement.

To be fair, I am sure Michelle CAN still do all of her jumps. She certainly went ahead and did them for the trial performance in front of the USFSA/ISU(??) judges. She is only choosing not to do them to avoid injury. I think Alexey Yagudin also had an injury period when he couldn't do his jumps sometime before his Olympic victory.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
On FSU, it was reported that Michelle had a "wardrobe malfunction" during her other program, so ABC couldn't show it. If true, it is a pity. It might have helped generate public interest. Seriously, I wonder when the commentary is taped. Terry says Sasha is going into acting the day after she says in her journal she's staying to 2010? Also, doing the "MIchelle retirement salute" now strikes me as idiotic. If I were ABC, I would do a "welcome back" now, and save the retirement salute for when she retires -- giving me two chances to exploit her fans. This way, they've done the salute -- so if MK should retire this season, they are stuck.

flowjo35

On the Ice
As was stated before, different strokes for different folks. I think Michelle did a great job for being off the ice for 6 weeks. The emotion on her face was wonderful to see. Someone stated if she does not jump her skating is nothing. I would advised them to look at her blades and see the edge work she is doing in this program. She has stated jumps will be incorporated when she gets the okay from her physician. As for a eulogy being written, only Michelle and her body knows if she will be able to compete next season. I just enjoyed seeing her on the ice again.:clap:

katymay said:
Gosh Jasper, you missed it? You missed nothing, it was boring, the skating was horrible, and I can't imagine spending money to watch skaters phone it in for two hours. Except for Kimmie and Emily who seemed to actually care....the rest were.....yawn.
Oh, Katymay, how can you say that? You didn't like Lysacek? I thought that was worth the price of admission right there! :rock:

MM

76olympics

On the Ice
I just saw a clip of Lysacek's number. He was really great in that! Technically, he was very fine and the charisma just jumped out at you. I think he is going places; I like him more and more. ( I sort've get the Bowman comparison though Evan is on an entirely different level. Bowman definitely had a charismatic quality that he never lived up to; I think Evan has the charisma AND the discipline.)

Vash01

Medalist
katymay said:

Kimmie popped the triple salchow in both her programs. She struggled on triple lutz in both programs. Yes, she can still skate (she landed a solid double axel-double toe- double loop and a few other triples), but it was obvious that most skaters were not as sharp as in competitions (Johnny and Evan were great though). That is to be expected at this time of the year.

Vash

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Marshall's

Mathman,

I, too, thought Evan was great at Marshall's. I totally enjoyed his charisma and musical performance. Why someone would think this was a yawner stumps me.

These were exhibition programs, not meant to be competitive. As far as Kimmie being the only one who can still skate, nothing can be further from the truth. I enjoyed Michelle's soulful performance, Sasha's elegence, Emily's enthusiam and Irinia's sparkle. Evan, as I said before was charismatic, Johnny was elegant and Plenshenko dramatic/energetic.

It has been a long season for the figureskaters and it's time to take off the competitive face and just perform and enjoy.

Next season should bring some real competition for the ladies. I just don't see Kimmie winning everything as she will face some very stiff competition throughout the world and possibly from the American camp as well. Although Kimmie seems to handle competition pressure well, this coming year will be the test because never before has she been the defender.

After following figureskating for over 40 years, I know predictions are foolish as there are ALWAYS surprises in store for the season. For me, that's what makes this sport so compelling.

Dizzy

R.D.

Record Breaker
dizzydi7 said:
After following figureskating for over 40 years, I know predictions are foolish as there are ALWAYS surprises in store for the season.

Heck, I figured that out after just ONE year...:cool: :yes:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Soogar said:
As for Sasha, I think her time is "over". She can't deliver the goods
Soogar, I am totally shocked at you. I thought you were going to say that Sasha delivered the goods, she did 3? jumps, what more did you want???

Dee

CDMM1991

Medalist
I thought Evan stole the show. He was versatile, charismatic, and man can that guy move. Some of the moves he did to the first number were incredible! I thought the whole thing together was cute.

Very unlike Michelle to have the wardrobe malfunction issue. Weird. Explains why they didn't show it though.

About Michelle, speculation among people who were there seems to be that the illusion fabric at the top of her dress was stretched too thin, or something like that. Spectators (including those who were taking pictures and videos from their seats) were not aware of any problem, but the big close-up overhead ABC cameras -- well, they decided not to show it on TV.

MM

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I thought all of the skaters did a good job. I enjoyed the show. My favorites
were Michelle-smooth and great edging . Sasha great movement on the
ice I really like this number for her lots of energy. Evan was so charismatic
and played to the audience, great showmanship. Oh and to the poster who said that Michelle was overweight and had a double chin were we watching the same program?

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:
About Michelle, speculation among people who were there seems to be that the illusion fabric at the top of her dress was stretched too thin, or something like that. Spectators (including those who were taking pictures and videos from their seats) were not aware of any problem, but the big close-up overhead ABC cameras -- well, they decided not to show it on TV.

MM

They could have asked her to reskate the program after fixing the problem, and could have then superimposed it on the tape, right?

Vash

flowjo35

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
They could have asked her to reskate the program after fixing the problem, and could have then superimposed it on the tape, right?

Vash

I would think with all the technical advances they have in TV they could have done something to fix the problem in editing and shown the program.

R.D.

Record Breaker
maybe the network just figured we've already seen Fallin (it's already been televised) so just choose the one that hasn't been shown yet.

Alsace

On the Ice
Mathman said:
You didn't like that great 1960s funk classic Summertime by Billy Stewart?!!!!!! Takes me back to my college days! :rock:

No, I didn't like it, either! That's not originally by Billy Stewart; it's originally by Gerswin. Stewart just _ruined_ it!!!

(However, I did enjoy Matt's skating abilities.)

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Marshalls

I enjoyed Marshalls. My favorites were Michelle and Matt. Matt actually smiled and seemed to connect to the audience more than usual. Michelle :love: had a conversation with me and I loved it.

I thought Irina's program was ok but that costume :eek: :eek:. Liked Evan, though I tend to like more subtle programs. Kimmie was interesting and next year should show a lot of artistic growth. Sasha was lovely but I almost never feel connected to her programs.

It was nice to see the skating without the pressure of major competition.

Maureen

mzheng

Record Breaker
For those who say Michelle can't even spin. Then you should watch her first number, which was the old one, she was much much more smooth, flow and fast in that number. But if you are non fan, then don't even bother.

I started late, diddn't watch the whole show until Johnny. Loved Sasha, Johnny and Michelle's number. And Shizuka, ABC diddn't give any prop to OGM, but I understand it's ABC in US. Love her number too. She is such a lady.

Hopefully by the end of this month, Michelle gets more used to her new number. I go COI just for watchng her, :love: in person. But on the other hand I don't want her too exhausted herself with pain.

Yeah, if MK took the ABC hint. She is over, then why Marshall and COI both invited her in the first place? Even after she telling them she could not jump, they insist put her on? :scratch: :cool:

Vash01

Medalist
Alsace said:
No, I didn't like it, either! That's not originally by Billy Stewart; it's originally by Gerswin. Stewart just _ruined_ it!!!

(However, I did enjoy Matt's skating abilities.)

ITA. I did not like this version of Summertime at all, and I felt that the first part did not suit Matt's skating style. I enjoyed his skating regardless.

Vash