Masterpieces that Never Came To Be | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Masterpieces that Never Came To Be

Amei

Record Breaker
Not sure it would have been a masterpiece but Yulia Lipnitskaia and Mulan, she really wanted to skate this after the Olympics (to the point that she supposedly cut her hair for it) and it was vetoed by either her coach/the Fed. Her character performances of someone/music that was more fiery like Kill Bill were fantastic, it would have been nice to see her get to do Mulan, but sadly I think some people wanted to fit her in the sorrowful box of Schindler's list - R&J, Leningrad, Les feuilles mortes.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Akiko Suzuki "O" - I wish she could have repeated the same performance from NHK Trophy 2012 at Worlds 2013

Tatsuki Machida "Symphony no. 9" - the only clean performance was at Skate America 2014

Takahiko Kozuka "Io Ci Saro" - amazing performance at Nationals 2014, if only he could have repeated it at Worlds 2015

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Richard Dornbush's Coldplay FS. Amazing first half at COC and second half at Lombardia in 2014. Combining the two together would have brought the house down.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Michelle Kwan’s Totenanz- only performed once at a cheesefest. However it had great power and potential. And her Isle of the Dead- I’d give anything to see practice footage.

Angela Nikodinov 2004/2005 programs- She only performed them twice. Her Romeo and Juliet program won her Skate America. She was on the right track again and another tragedy struck,

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
hard to believe there is no Hanyu here...

Someone mentioned Prince SP before. Which I half-agree because I wanted to see it clean, but it's already great as it is. LGC is probably my favorite of Yuzuru's SPs.

Yuzuru Prince SP. It didn't become a masterpiece because he didn't skate it during 2 seasons.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but my all-time favorite program: Sui/Han's Bridge Over Troubled Water. :luv17: 2017 Worlds was beautiful, but it wasn't completely clean. They only performed it two times, and I wished so badly for it to be kept Olympic season.

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
I wish there would have been footage, even practice footage, of the 1997 lp of Lu Chen. Sandra Bezich was asked, years later, what that program looked like and unfortunately she couldn't remember.

Izabela

On the Ice
If we are talking about purely hypothetical here...

The short program Shae-Lynn Bourne supposedly choreographed for Yuna Kim in 2011. :laugh:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Max Aaron's free skate program from 2017 US Nationals. He did it practically perfectly in practice @ those Nationals, but everything that could have gone wrong went wrong for him during the actual competition. :cry:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
hard to believe there is no Hanyu here...

Why? You've got to see all of his programs thus far, how could they be masterpieces that never came to be?

But a program we will never see from a treasured skater who will likely never compete again, cut short before his time...that is a tragedy, that is a masterpiece that never came to be, that is worth mourning.

- - - Updated - - -

Max Aaron's free skate program from 2017 US Nationals. He did it practically perfectly in practice @ those Nationals, but everything that could have gone wrong went wrong for him during the actual competition. :cry:

For 2017, not the FS, but the SP. That SP was a masterpiece...and it never happened.

But we saw it. At least we saw it.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
Sale Pelletier Orchid - I really would have liked to see them perform that properly rather than abandon it for Love Story for the Olympics

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For 2017, not the FS, but the SP. That SP was a masterpiece...and it never happened.

But we saw it. At least we saw it.

Oops, you are absolutely right. It was his SP! Thanks for the correction!

Henni147

Final Flight
Someone mentioned Prince SP before. Which I half-agree because I wanted to see it clean, but it's already great as it is. LGC is probably my favorite of Yuzuru's SPs.
Maybe my personal fav SP in general. I've praised it enough in the fanfest already, especially the version at GPF16 and THIS run-through in Helsinki: https://vimeo.com/269887182

I wouldn't write a completely clean version off yet. I mean: it's recyking Yuzu, we're talking about :laugh:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Daisuke Takahashi 2010-2011 FS Invierno Porteno/Primavera Portena
https://youtu.be/2yv5SRgU2uk

Such a sensual and beautiful program. Many fans wanted him to keep it to next season, but he's never recycled his program.

He was so unlucky that season. First, he was injured during the official practice at GFP. Then his left boot got broken during FS at the Worlds. (The Worlds were postponed for a month due to the massive earthquakes that hit eastern Japan, and moved from Tokyo to Moscow. His boot could not last for another month.)

Giselle

Medalist
Programs that could have been masterpieces but that were never skated to its full potential IMO :

Tomáš Verner - The Godfather LP
Davis & White - Eleanor Rigby/Eleanor's Dream FD
Ilinykh & Zhiganshin - Frida FD
Stolbova & Klimov - Carmen LP
Mukhortova & Trankov - The Lady and the Hooligan LP

combo

Rinkside
Hanyu's Hope and Legacy. I think its a beautiful program, but I feel that the artistic peak was not in sync with the technical peak, and the overall impact would have been even better if he could have married the two.