Men free skate | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Men free skate

No. I never said that, and as there was no possible way of misinterpreting what I said I will not repeat it, but if you want to let your bad mood out on me, just go for it - I'm living at the other side of the globe anyway.

:sheesh:

I
I apologize viv. It is however, the way I read your post that the air turns are what jumps are about. Two foot landings are not important. Sorry I misunderstood.

I differentiate between take offs. That's how I get a name for the jumps. As for landings, I have never read a definition of a jump which had two foot landings except in barrel jumping.

Well, we could make it easier by doing away with the penalty for double footing the landing.

We could make it easier by doing away with the penalty for stepping out of the landing.

We could make it easier by doing away with the penalty for wrong-edge take-offs,

We could make it easier by doing away with the penalty for underrotations.

So, yes, there are a lot of ways to make the sport easier. But the ISU thinks that these errors should be penalized in the scoring, and so do I.
I have to agree but how severe are the individual penalties for these errors? They seem to vary in extremes and some to the point that an error is worth going for because of the salvaged remaining points. Strategy? Of course.

lcd

Match Penalty
Thematically, I am struggling to decide whether the whole "Clown/Harelequin" theme that underpinned Rippon's program works for me. Was like watching 3 or 4 different programs stitched together. Concept wise, I'll nod in the direction of saying at least there WAS a theme, but would love to see something less "oh... I get it" crafty. In the end, it probably does bode well for his continued use of themes or stories underlying his programs. Something that I think he has the "goods" to deliver upon. Training now in Toronto, he is surrounded by an abundance of highly creative high octane choreographers who are probably just thrilled to have another piece of "putty" to play with. Am looking forward to next season's "package" with great interest and optimism.

viv

On the Ice
Thematically, I am struggling to decide whether the whole "Clown/Harelequin" theme that underpinned Rippon's program works for me. Was like watching 3 or 4 different programs stitched together. Concept wise, I'll nod in the direction of saying at least there WAS a theme, but would love to see something less "oh... I get it" crafty. In the end, it probably does bode well for his continued use of themes or stories underlying his programs. Something that I think he has the "goods" to deliver upon. Training now in Toronto, he is surrounded by an abundance of highly creative high octane choreographers who are probably just thrilled to have another piece of "putty" to play with. Am looking forward to next season's "package" with great interest and optimism.

I'm not sure if I agree. For me the music combination of the LP, though it's an unlikely one, works quite well, and Rippon has the personality on the ice to interpret the tragic/romantic theme convincingly. The costume is beautiful and also fits in.
I'm not sure about Wilsons choreographical input, though. The steps and transitions are o.k. for me, but there are some posings which are way too much on the "look, aren't we creative" side; especially the new closing pose looks laboured and not very elegant to me.
In the few things he changed in the SP, Wilson made the program look less sharp to the music than it was before. Rippon is one of the few skaters who really can skate sharp to the music and make a program look like pure dance, so why not building up on it? Nevertheless I also think one has to wait till next season to see how the collaboration works out.

Rippon does have dance quality in his skating as does Gregorian and Brezina, and you can tell most skaters are not dancing but going for the points. However, Rippon lacks a certain amount of interpretation for me where Brezina exudes in it. What's a poor judge to do with that one bullet of interpreation in the PC scores?

Sinclare

Rinkside
Rippon does have dance quality in his skating as does Gregorian and Brezina, and you can tell most skaters are not dancing but going for the points. However, Rippon lacks a certain amount of interpretation for me where Brezina exudes in it. What's a poor judge to do with that one bullet of interpreation in the PC scores?
What?
I forgot that Rippon didn’t play an invisible musical instrument at the beginning of his program or wink and point to the judges so he should to lower in “interpreation” ???
It is unfair to constantly compare these two skaters. Brezina is a super talent but his program was a 4 minute freestyle session to elevator music. It did not do his amazing talent justice. I will say that his jumps are very high but his entrances are basic and somewhat clumsy. I think Rippon is a much more polished skater with complex entrances and generous transitions on smoother landings. If you meant interpretation, look again. I think Rippon had an advantage because his music told a story and I believe his facial expression etc. followed that story. Rippon won, he beat Brezina by 17 points, even if Brezina was allowed 2 more triple axels in his program he still would have been second. Brezina thanked Adam for a great competition at the press conference we should take his lead and move on already. You are generally a witty guy, but my patience is thin when posts become mean spirited. :cool:

good grief Sinclair. Who in this thread has said Rippon didn't deserve to win?
Were you there back in 2006 at the Middle Atlantics competition where I first saw him and screamed he will be a world champion soon?

This is a nit pick thread, not a my favorite skater thread. Everyone to his own opinion.

Sinclare

Rinkside
good grief Sinclair. Who in this thread has said Rippon didn't deserve to win?
Were you there back in 2006 at the Middle Atlantics competition where I first saw him and screamed he will be a world champion soon?

This is a nit pick thread, not a my favorite skater thread. Everyone to his own opinion.

Thank you for the apology Joe. I did not see Rippon at Mids but saw him at a Miki and friends show 2 summers back. I do remember noting that you had a keen eye for talent and watch for your predictions with great interest.
Glad all is under the bridge I just thought you were somewhat hard on Rippon.
As far as my favorite skater? Katarina Witt and Kurt Browning. Can't beat that face and those feet!

Back to Junior Worlds: I did see some young talent on the playback. The Japanese boy Hanyu, and the Spanish boy, Raya I think, are young and look like they were complete package skaters. I saw that you pointed to them as ones to watch, I agree!

Thank you Sinclair for those kind words.

i do enjoy watching skaters on the ice I haven't seen, and I am addicted to predicting their future. While I do pick out much of the young talent as special, I am not perfect at it.

I have no patience with nationality. A good skater is a good skater from wherever. Sometimes too much gushing bothers me.