Men's Free Skate | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
The first group of 5 are done skating. I'm finding it interesting following the scores under the *new and improved* COP system. Lindemann moved ahead of 2 of his 4 competitors so far, and is sitting in third at this time with the highest free program score. Song from China is in first currently, with the second highest free program score. Ferreira is currently in second.

This should get more interesting when the final group begins.

Since it looks like a strong possibility that Joubert will tie with himself for the Men's Rusty Hanger Award (short and long program costumes are equally horrid in my opinion) then I think it's only fair that some other man win the actual event. :)

DG

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Wow!!

Jahnke must have had an AWESOME free skate. More that 10 points better than Weiss's score. They are 1 & 2 with 3 skaters to go.

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Dang..

I guess Jahnke got that big score with 2 falls. So Joubert is likely to get an off the charts score. The rest of his skating must have been awesome.

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Joubert wins, but Jahnke gets high score in Free Skate!

Unoffical results from my spreadsheet - hopefully no typos when transfering from IceCalc:

Men's Skate America
10/22/2005
Joubert 193.46 1
Jahnke 186.71 2
Weiss 179.56 3
Serov 174.42 4
Lysacek 162.51 5
Song 161.46 6
Young 160.82 7
Ferreira 157.41 8
Lindemann 156.64 9
Murvanidze 143.10 10
Shubin 142.42 11

Not sure how this formatting will turn out either... LOL it was an exciting evening of skating without even being able to SEE anything!! How crazy is that??

DG

Last edited:
Wow, Jahnke won the LP. That must be a boost for his confidence!

Thanks for the posts, Doggygirl.

Hey, no, it looked fine. The columns were a little crooked, but all the info was there!

Good thing I'm on line right now so I could see the full spreadsheet before you erased it, LOL.

Mathman:)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Will try to create a link...

While I can barely remember how to turn a computer on, my hubby is a techie. I'm going to see if he will add a section to his web site for figure skating stuff where I could just have a link to the full score sheets, and also have links for an official Rusty Hanger nomination site. That way nomination pictures could all be linked in one place. :)

DG

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Good for Ryan -- pulling to 2nd. Disppointed for Evan, though.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I'm so glad that Jahnke won the LP. And placed 2nd overall. Hope he gets more assignment and we'll see him more.

Just like the CoP. :rock:

Kasey

Medalist
Ummm....While I like Ryan's skating very much (he strikes a Paul Wylie chord with me), he had two falls....not turn outs, all out FALLS....and completed no jump more difficult than a triple lutz. Now yes, he has fine skating, and all the OTHER elements he is amazing...and great musical interpretation. But, to win the free skate......I'm not sure. I mean, I was THERE, and I'm still not sure. Mikey wasn't perfect either, but had fewer obvious flaws, and had a pretty good program. Brian struggled of course.....but I don't think I would have put Jahnke first. it was a nice surprise for him, and he was glowing afterwards....seems like a very nice guy.

Kasey

herios

Medalist
Kasey said:
Ummm....While I like Ryan's skating very much (he strikes a Paul Wylie chord with me), he had two falls....not turn outs, all out FALLS....and completed no jump more difficult than a triple lutz. Now yes, he has fine skating, and all the OTHER elements he is amazing...and great musical interpretation. But, to win the free skate......I'm not sure. I mean, I was THERE, and I'm still not sure. Mikey wasn't perfect either, but had fewer obvious flaws, and had a pretty good program. Brian struggled of course.....but I don't think I would have put Jahnke first. it was a nice surprise for him, and he was glowing afterwards....seems like a very nice guy.

Mikey had fewer obvious errors...yeah, his 2 footed quad counts for a triple toe, and that doesn't give him too many points, then he doubled both 3 axels, on the second he landed so low, almost on his nose!
Ryan has a very smart program, indeed he fell twice on the 3 axels, then added to his 3 toe a 2 toe and a 2 loop, he had 2 3 lutzes, first in combo with a 2 toe, the second is a Tano lutz out of spread eagle, also his 3 loop is out of spread eagle. He finally got credit for his spins, footwork and these difficult entries into the jumps. Where I was suprised, was that on the performance, Ryan had an edge as well over Michael, which never happened before, judges just used to push Michael up on the second mark!!!

Herios - Joseph
:)

mzheng

Record Breaker
Kasey said:

Kasey

Then did you remember last year Jeffery won 4CC with only one triple? He supprised as well.

Kasey

Medalist
Herios...

Didn't notice that Mike doubled both axels...thought he made one. I liked Ryan's program very much...I just thought the two falls marred it more than the judges thought. Different strokes for different folks.

Kasey

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I liked Ryan's skating, but those falls really detracted from the overall performance. Brian's program was a major disappointment. Frankly, he got a gift. While I'm not a big fan of rock music, I actually liked Mike's interpretation and, for once, Lisa's choreography. The whole thing flowed beautifully. I would have given him first place in the free and overall, with Jahnke definitely 2nd, Joubert 3rd.

lavender

Record Breaker
Mike got the shaft. I don't like COP. The only good thing about COP is the inbetweens are important but they could have been important without this stupid new judging system.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I thought Jahnke had the best overall program (even with the falls). He is such a beautiful skater and everything (besides the two axels, lol) was extremely well executed and lovely to watch. I found myself wrapped up in his skating even with mistakes, and that is always a sign of a great skater. I would have had Mike in 2nd in the free and Joubert 3rd. Mike's program was good. I liked it much better than his programs from the previous 2 seasons, but I think it will be much better by the end of the season. Poor Joubert! I like him also and I do hope that he works on this program. It isn't terrible, but it needs a lot of work.

Antilles

Medalist
The only one who I think should have been higher was Lysacek. He had some mistakes, but I really liked his program. I think he had the best choreagraphy of those shown on tv. Joubert really didn't look like himself out there, and his choreagraphy still looks too much like Yagudin's.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Okay, I'm confused. I thought Michael's music was great, loved the shirt and the overall program. I would have had him in second, maybe even first. I also liked Ryan's program, but his two falls on the triple axels to me marred the program quite a bit. And what's with Joubert ending up first? I had him in third........I guess I don't really understand a system that puts skating cleanly behind splats.....42