Men's LP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

figuristka

Medalist
Ponsero was definately my favourite of the night and its a shame about his short as i would have liked to see him medal. Still great for Contesti to get a silver and i had not even seen him before. Brian wasn't bad but i could see he looked disappointed as it was not as good as he could do. Van der perren suits his music and his jumps were great but he could do alot more inbetween his jumps and have more musicaliy to be higher.Seems like he could have done alot more with that music for the footwork especially at the end.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Voronov placed 9th, two places behind Lutai and just lost single-handedly the third spot for Russia.

I am beyond thrilled for KVDP, he looked in so much pain, didn't jump much in the warm-up. He is such a great jumper, he probably can do Triples while sleeping. He looks like is going to start to cry any minute...

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I'm a bit sorry for Ponsero and Preaubert, looks like Joubert always save himself with a technical and silly SP. So I'm not enthusiastic. Anyway Contesti is a new face, I don't dislike him and I think that Worlds is going to be exciting with the French, Patrick, Abbott and the Japanese. These Euros were exciting as well.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
At one stage I thought the French were going to go 1-2-3, but well done to Contesti and VDP for delivering the goods.

Really enjoyed Contesti, Ponsero and Preaubet. Not a huge fan of Joubert it always seems to be the same. I would not have given him second in the free, fourth at best.

Not the best night of mens skating but exciting in another way. Not sure if the rest of world will be worried by these performances

Good luck to Clara Peters tomorrow in the ladies short. Come on Ireland:clap::clap::clap:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
I can breathe again. Brian won. Bravo! :love: He looked exhausted before he began, dark under the eyes, but he won; he fought it through. He has the heart of a champion, no doubt of that.

I am happy for Kevin; he looked overjoyed.

Yannick's FS was so good, I wish he could have had better luck with his SP, and made the podium.

The pic stopped working for me, but it worked when I needed it most. I can hear the Marseillaise. :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
A few observations:

1. Joubert did the right thing ditching LotM. This is a much better program for his style of skating and with the boost to his confidence from the win, he'll be able to work on it for Worlds. He'll need to - no way does something like tonight's performance cut it in LA. He promises 3 quads in the LP at Worlds - we'll see :). But congrats Brian!!!:clap: I'm very happy about this result.

Brian also said this was the most important Euros win for him because of all the problems earlier this season. He looks rather misty eyed during the anthem but managed to sing along. Very sweet.

It's not really like the old Matrix, musically or conceptually. And for a program put together at the last moment, it's not half bad.

2. A few months ago there was a disucssion re Contesti and his chances, and I said he was unproven and hadn't done enough to get excited about. Now he has. Well done!

3. And I thought KvdP couldn't get a medal by a narrower margin than in 2007. Obviously I was wrong on that too... Great performance by Kevin. I'm sure he and Jenna will be thrilled, and many other people as well. I know I am. Spun Silver - that was not the skeleton suit. The skeleton suit is in the SP.

4. Yannick was sooooo good. And all he gets for it is a small medal. Pity, but maybe next time.

5. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Czech, again. :frown:

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
Congrats to Contesti! I liked his program very much. :clap:

Congrats also to KVDP for his medal.

Joubert did 5 mistakes and still won. :scratch:

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Does Brian look at least a little happy on and off the podium?

I mean he landed all those quads in the warm up and then blew the Long Program.

Medusa

Record Breaker
That was such an exciting competition! I am so excited for KVDP, it's just great that he gets another medal - he wanted to stop after last year!

And the result for the French? 1-4-5, what a team! That's what I call securing 3 spots for next year...

Contesti was great too, but since when did Europe turn into Figure-Skating-Jock-central? Joubert, Préaubert, KVDP, Contesti... Ponsero, Verner etc. aren't very lyrical either.

I feel with Ponsero, but he and we can't complain, he was even held up in the SP a bit, where in the end the only thing he really did - was a Quad Toe, and that one was scratchy.

I just realised that KVDP can think on his feet - I thought that he only did 7 Triples. But he must have changed his plan after popping the second Axel and substituted the second 2A with a 3F. Smart, smart man. That's where this man's scores come from: not one -GOE jump, 8 clean Triples plus two double Axels... That secures good points.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Joubert did 5 mistakes and still won. :scratch:
I only counted four, and one was minor, but this is why a skater shouldn't play it safe in the short program and leave his quad for the LP. Joubert goes all-out in the SP and then he can either coast in the LP, or be experimental (well, he was at 2006 CoR). I don't know why other skaters haven't figured this out yet.

gio

Medalist
Contesti was great too, but since when did Europe turn into Figure-Skating-Jock-central? Joubert, Préaubert, KVDP, Contesti... Ponsero, Verner etc. aren't very lyrical either.

Yeah! And neither are Schultheiss, Bernstorn, Lutai, Fernandez ...

Medusa

Record Breaker
RE Joubert: I had the feeling that some of the steps in the program were still very new to him, he seemed not completely comfortable yet with the program - but it's definitely better than the one before.

He got the second best LP because he still delivered the big jumps: the Quad got just -1, two clean 3As were there (only Ponsero also managed to do that), the 3-3 in the second half was sublime... In contrast to that Contesti had just one clean Triple Axel, no Triple Lutz, just one Triple Flip - the rest of the program consisted of easier Triples.

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
I only counted four, and one was minor, but this is why a skater shouldn't play it safe in the short program and leave his quad for the LP. Joubert goes all-out in the SP and then he can either coast in the LP, or be experimental (well, he was at 2006 CoR). I don't know why other skaters haven't figured this out yet.

I counted also the wrong edge on the 3F.

Anyway it's true, he deserved to win because of the SP. And because he is a great skater.

annlfs

Rinkside
Brian was, i don't kow he didn't excite me with this program, the music was powerfull yes as always with brian, but it just didn't have a great affect on me overall; but i do agree it's a step up from the other program.

and then Contesti, his fs was so much fun, i just kept rooting for him all the way thru the program, it's amazing he won the silver.

i'm so happy for kevin van der perren, he skated great, i know he doesn't have the speed or difficulty in steps that the others may have but his jumps are always top!!

yannick was great also, it's a shame he had to loose the bronze by so little a margin...

i'm realy upset for sergei voronov, i like his skating so much and to end up in 9th that's just horrible.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
What a competition!

I loved Brian's new program, although he made a few mistakes that are probably due to the newness of the program. It's promissing for the worlds.:thumbsup: One thing: please get rid of that pyjama costume!!!!!:laugh:

Samuel was quite suprising. Gorgeouse triple axel but needs to work on his step sequences. Congrats to him.

KVDP: what the????? I usualy love Kevin, but this program was just awful.

I'm so shocked at the fact that KVDP got 66.70 in components whereas Alban only got 64.70. What the hell were the judges thinking? As I said, I usually love Kevin but this program is just rubbish whereas Alban's is amazing. I'd really like them to explain themselves. It just goes to show - the new system doesn't stop questionnable judging.

I didn't get to see Yannick's program, but I've seen his score so congrats to him:), even though I must admit I'm not keen on this year's LP.

As for Thomas: I think I'm going to cry! He really can't handle preasure, and it's a shame because he's such an amazing skater.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
In contrast to that Contesti had just one clean Triple Axel, no Triple Lutz, just one Triple Flip - the rest of the program consisted of easier Triples.

Thank you for that observation, Medusa. I was not thrilled with Contesti's programme, although the crowd seemed to love it. There was a lot of theatre in it, but not the kind of skating I like to see in eligible competition. He was clever, admittedly, to rest in the middle of the program, even standing still at one point, and then use the energy from that rest to backload jumps toward the end, and leave that strong impression; but his actual skating was just not my cup of tea.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Can't say I'm thrilled with the overall tech and artistry level of this Euros' men's.

But everything's relative - tomorrow we have ladies a.k.a. 'figure skating for poor' :rock:

zandor

On the Ice
BRAVO BRIAN!!:rock: CONGRATS!:clap::agree:

I'm sorry for Tomas and Yannick...

Samuel Contesti has the same style than Candeloro and now he got his revenge against the french federation.

ColinR

Spectator
Men's Final Europeans

What a great final group. I am FINALLY getting used to the scoring system so I thoroughly enjoyed watching tonight.
PONSERO - what a skate! Gutted he did not medal but at least he won the free.
ITALIAN GUY - great music (Cotton Eye Joe) bit choreography somewhat confusing in parts. Happy he got on the rostrum but Ponsero should have been there.
VAN DER PERRIN - such guts and determination. Dead on his feet towards the end. The Salchow-Toe-Loop combo definintely got him a medal
JOUBERT - very, very lucky to have such a lead after the short. Did not over impress me tonight. Repuation is in his favour.
VERNER - very disappointing but at least he was marked on what he did and not who he is.