Men's LP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Men's LP

Medusa

Record Breaker
Borudulin got edgecalls on the Lutzes in the free - but he got an edgecall on the Flip in the short and an edgewarning on the Lutz. Is it possible that he just can't keep the edge stable and is just wobbling on it, therefore getting a mixture of Flutz and Lip calls?

I love it that L'équipe (the French Sports magazine) has Joubert's win as the headline right now.

And Le Monde writes
Avec un total de 232,01 points, Joubert a devancé le franco-italien Samuel Contesti (220,92) et le Belge Kevin Van Der Perren (219,30), soit un podium entièrement francophone.
Don't tell KVDP that he is francophone! He probably speaks French - but I am quite sure that his first language is Dutch and that he is from the Flemish part of Belgium, and not the French one...

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I like Brian, I really do, but how he managed to avoid a lower GOE on the quad and a -3 the fall on the solo lutz merited is beyond me (one judge gave it a -1, how on earth?). On the other hand, I see it's back to the edge calls on his flip. That sucks. Also, I wonder where the third combination is supposed to go next time he skates.

One more +GOE for Yannick, or a judge giving him just a bit higher on one of the components, and it would have been an all French/sort of French podium.

Back to what I wrote about the SP - the 4-3 Joubert did got him 15.20 points. The only thing worth more was Kevin's 3-3-3 in the LP, which had the second half bonus.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One more +GOE for Yannick, or a judge giving him just a bit higher on one of the components, and it would have been an all French/sort of French podium.

Honestly, I think the +GOE for Ponsero's 4toe was not rewarded enough. He should have received more +3s. It really appeared so easy for him that I initially thought he did a really huge 3toe. His LP 4toe puts all the rest of the men to shame in this competition.

I like Brian, I really do, but how how he managed to avoid a lower GOE on the quad and a -3 the fall on the solo lutz merited is beyond me (one judge gave it a -1, how on earth?).

I really hate when the judges do this for reputable skaters. Bugs the heck out of me!

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
JOUBERT - very, very lucky to have such a lead after the short. Did not over impress me tonight. Repuation is in his favour.
Do you really think it was luck? I felt he earned his SP score, and the other skaters earned theirs. I've seen dodgy scoring, and this wasn't it.

museksk8r said:
I think the +GOE for Ponsero's 4toe was not rewarded enough. He should have received more +3s.
It was gorgeous - I agree, it should have gotten a better GOE. But I'm confused, aren't quad GOEs supposed to be +/- 1.6 instead of 1? So isn't a +2 worth +3.2 to the base value? Did the ISU change the rules on me again?

I really think if Ponsero had skated in the final group he would've been on the podium. But then it was his fault that he was in the third group.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Honestly, I think the +GOE for Ponsero's 4toe was not rewarded enough. He should have received more +3s. It really appeared so easy for him that I initially thought he did a really huge 3toe. His LP 4toe puts all the rest of the men to shame in this competition.
The only other men with Quad Toes that good, well - not that good but near, are Verner on a really really good day and Takahashi on a really good day (I don't think he ever got this height though).

What I would love to see with Ponsero is the 3F and perhaps a second Quad or a second Triple Lutz. He could easily crash through the 90 border on the TES if he did that, his jumps have an incredible quality. Even Joubert would need his three Quads then. And the huge quadless squad outside of this continent wouldn't win the competitions then, even if they are called the Superchan.

I really think if Ponsero had skated in the final group he would've been on the podium. But then it was his fault that he was in the third group.
Ponsero got the 3rd best PCS of the evening, Joubert only scored 4 points more. So I doubt it.

Trewyn

Medalist
Don't tell KVDP that he is francophone! He probably speaks French - but I am quite sure that his first language is Dutch and that he is from the Flemish part of Belgium, and not the French one...

I can confirm that he is from the Flemish part of Belgium :) His first language is Dutch!

pohatta

On the Ice
Just came home from the Arena and I must say I was confused by the result after seeing most of the men live for the first time. KVDP was so slow that he was difficult to watch, and that 0.06 victory over Ponsero was just ridiculous. I thought that I would finally find Joubert not-boring seeing him in person, but that didn't happen. Contesti was the event of the night.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I can confirm that he is from the Flemish part of Belgium :) His first language is Dutch!
And de Standaard is reporting.

I luuuuuurve Ponsero, I often said so - but I am so happy for KVDP. It's just, he looked in so much pain, considered withdrawing all the time - and won the Bronze. Plus Belgium is like a 2km walk from here. It's local patriotism.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just came home from the Arena and I must say I was confused by the result after seeing most of the men live for the first time. KVDP was so slow that he was difficult to watch, and that 0.06 victory over Ponsero was just ridiculous. I thought that I would finally find Joubert not-boring seeing him in person, but that didn't happen. Contesti was the event of the night.

haha, You sound like me. We have very similar views on this championship. :agree:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Huh - he has TWO costumes that look like bones?? I guess I'll have to look at his SP.
I thought the same thing - why were the two outfits so alike? The skeleton outfit looks like some Halloween leftover.

Kevin seems to have many fine qualities but on-ice fashion sense does not appear to be one of them :biggrin:.

Medusa

Record Breaker
By the way, the podium is totally ancient - Joubert the youngest with 24, Contesti is 25 and KVDP 26. And two out of three guys already married...

What's interesting now is, who will the French Federation take to Worlds?

Let's say they take Préaubert, who in 3 international competitions this season has never fallen on a jump, has never popped a jump - that would be the way to secure the 3 spots for Vancouver. But Préaubert has practically zero chance for a podium placement, his jumps get mostly no positive GOEs, often a bit negative and his poor posture just keeps the judges from giving more on PCS. As I said - Préaubert is the safe choice.

Ponsero on the other hand could seriously bomb in SP or/and LP and then would place way outside the Top Ten - and there go the three spots for Vancouver. But Ponsero could also win the competition, he has in a best case scenario a chance to become World Champion. Préaubert doesn't have that chance (except of course in case everybody bombs - but I am quite sure that a Patrick Chan with 4 Triples would still win against a Préaubert with 8 Triples and 1 Quad, not that I think that would be right).

So with Ponsero they risk a lot - but also could win a lot, perhaps even a medal.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Seems like whenever Brian wins anything lately, he dosen't skate well. I wish that he would skate to deserve to title. I am happy for him, but winning dosen't seem so great when the 3rd and 4th place guys skater better LPs.

seniorita

Record Breaker
bravo to Contesti and Ponsero, great LPs, Joubert has the Requiem music and his choreography doesnt pay justice to it, boring and with awkward gaps, I like KVDP , he is a great skater but he looks slow and the program was awful, only the last part i liked but he looked exhausted, Verner and Voronovm whats worng with them, I like Berzina a lot, seems fresh.

Eevun

Final Flight
A really crazy top 10, but I'll just shoot :agree:

1. Brian Joubert, FRA
2. Kevin van der Perren, BEL
3. Yannick Ponsero, FRA
4. Tomas Verner, CZE
5. Kristoffer Berntsson, SWE
6. Adrian Schultheiss, SWE
7. Alban Preaubert, FRA
8. Sergei Voronov, RUS
9. Jamal Othman, SUI
10. Andrei Lutai, RUS

1 right. But a not that bad wild guess, cause who believed that about Samuel? :laugh: But I'm really happy for him, it was well deserved. For me it was love at first sight and got a new EUROPEAN skater to root for :clap:

Yannick, almost there, almost there... 0.07 thats almost unfare. But he'll be there next time!

The most wtf moment this evening was Alban's score. The judges let him totally down! That wasn't fare scoring! He deserved so much more and you know it!! Scandal, I think!

My boys gave me heartattacks over and over again. 3 spots for next year flew away, and the 2 spots hang reeeeally loose for a moment. Thanks to Javier and Sergei we got total placement 26! Both Adrian and Kristoffer have had a very tough season filled with old haunting injuries and some new, so I'm proud of them anyway. But Adrian's 18th place isn't good at all and I wonder what the nearest future will bring...

Medusa

Record Breaker
The most wtf moment this evening was Alban's score. The judges let him totally down! That wasn't fare scoring! He deserved so much more and you know it!! Scandal, I think!
I totally understand you, but Alban has been warned. He had cleaner performances than this one this season but never scored beyond 150 on the LP. He just doesn't score enough GOEs and the PCS just stays low (I think it's rather debatable though if the PCS needs to be lower than KVDPs - but then again KVDP has a flawless jumping technique).

I wasn't joking above when I said that a clean Alban would probably lose to a Chan with 4 Triples. And that's just wrong in my opinion.

This placement here was, well, it was okay actually. Both KVDP and Contesti had a cushion from the SP anyway. Contesti showed a lot less than Préaubert concerning the jumps, but his skating skills are really superior, he has good speed, good edges, good spins...

herios

Medalist
The only other men with Quad Toes that good, well - not that good but near, are Verner on a really really good day and Takahashi on a really good day (I don't think he ever got this height though).

What I would love to see with Ponsero is the 3F and perhaps a second Quad or a second Triple Lutz. He could easily crash through the 90 border on the TES if he did that, his jumps have an incredible quality. Even Joubert would need his three Quads then. And the huge quadless squad outside of this continent wouldn't win the competitions then, even if they are called the Superchan

Takahashi never had this height or flow out of his quad, he used to land it cleanly but put his free leg down too soon after landing. Verner I agree he can have sometimes a beauty, but Ponsero wins the "Mr Quad-consistency" title hands down.

Ponsero has a bad technique on his Loop, he either doubles it consistently, or squeeze it out with a lot of difficulty like today. Does he have problems with the flip as well? He doubled it a few times, but now I could see he took it out??

On another note, our comentators here in Canada, said he has a sport psychologist to help him with his consistency, I would fire him and search for a new one, he didn't do a good job:)

Last edited:

beep_beep

Medalist
Hi, folks.
I had to take my mother's broken ankle with all its screws and plates to the doctor (45 day post-op) and I missed ALL of the men's FD. Just started to get through what's on youtube.

Thanks a lot for your posts, I read them all before even checking the ISU site (got to keep some expectation...)

Anyway, just watched Contesti. He is quite something, what a breakthrough.
I see some shades of Candelorro showmanship in him.

I'll watch the rest, and see you all on the ladies SP marathon tomorrow.