Mens' LP | Page 50 | Golden Skate

Mens' LP

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I honestly think that if Evan weren't so tall and his arms so long his 'flapping' wouldn't be any more or less than the other men in their skating. The length of his arms really adds to the noticability.

enlight78

Medalist
I honestly think that if Evan weren't so tall and his arms so long his 'flapping' wouldn't be any more or less than the other men in their skating. The length of his arms really adds to the noticability.

Evan sometimes make me think of wind mills.:p

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well, unfortunately for him, part of the footwork and blah blah blah score deals with movement of the upperbody - which apparently translates to all choreographers/skaters as arm movement... so he'll just keep flapping until he retires... (in just a year unless he changes his mind... *sigh*)

jennylovskt

Medalist
... so he'll just keep flapping until he retires... *sigh*)

:rofl:

what's he supposed to do? Jazz Hands?? Spirit Fingers??

:biggrin:I don't know how to explain it. But if you watch Patrick Chan and Johnny Weir, they used their hands very well. If those were too hard to imitate, watch Brian Joubert. Joubert used his hands more lately and I think his hands are much better than before.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
if you mean the index finger pointing Re: Joubert - that's been done well before him...

a lot of the men do exactly what Evan does with his hands... including some of the 'greats' from the past... Orser cupped his hands and that's it... I don't recall a lot of gentle/delicate hands from Boitano... just a thought...

and when he did stuff with his hands (ala Carmen) he got negative feedback then, too...

jennylovskt

Medalist
No, I mean after the index finger pointing.:biggrin: I don't like guns, I prefer sword.

Yes, Brian Orser's hands were a little numb. I have never felt Brian Boitano's hands were in a way in his artistry. They were just fine. Jeffrey Buttle's hands were not "gentle/delicate", but he used them very well.

Oh, one more thing. Evan doesn't use his elbow that often either. That was definitely added to the length of his arms.;)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he uses his elbows in his Twizzles :p and that's one giant 90* angle compared to the shorter armed dudes ;)

Nadine

Record Breaker
I was surprised a bit by the tension I felt to see whether Joubert would do a second quad, but then again I shouldn't be because power & athleticism have always attracted me, along with looks, 50-50. Was disappointed for him that he couldn't pull it off. Besides him & Evan & a few of the other men, I really only watched spasmodically, same as the other disciplines, except when the top people skated, or a favorite ice dance couple, lol.

Congrats to Evan & his standing O, and all the rest. :)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
IAnd he was RIGHT that it's ridiculous that his PCS is lower than Jourbert and Lysacek.

That is not what Chan said! He did not mention anything negative about Lysacek´s scores. As a matter of fact he tied himself, Lysacek and Verner against Joubert´s high PCS.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
That is not what Chan said! He did not mention anything negative about Lysacek´s scores. As a matter of fact he tied himself, Lysacek and Verner against Joubert´s high PCS.
Yes, and I couldn't help but notice that Tomas and Evan didn't play along. If they felt undermarked in any aspect and at any point, they kept it to themselves. In fact, the only person towards whom Tomas expressed any anger was himself, for screwing up the jumps at the end of his program. Can I say again how much I enjoyed his skating this week? I love Tomas. He's fantastic. :love:

Also, I've read more than once (not in your posts, Jaana - I'm off on a tangent ;)) that Joubert was overmarked in comparison to people skating Lori Nichol programs. Do the ISU regulations specify Nichol choreo as a feature required for high transitions and choreography scores? Clearly Yu-Na is doing it wrong, then!

BTW, there is one person whose silence about the scoring this past week I found very interesting: I couldn't help notice that Jeffrey Buttle was not quoted anywhere, or at least anywhere that I'm aware of. Considering how many other people were quoted in the various Chan articles, and considering the 2008 Quad debate was apparently what got Chan all worked up, I find it hard to believe nobody asked Jeff for his reaction. But I guess he wanted no part of it, even if he did feel the scoring was off. I guess he said all he wanted to say at the Gotheburg press conference.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
a lot of the men do exactly what Evan does with his hands... including some of the 'greats' from the past... Orser cupped his hands and that's it... I don't recall a lot of gentle/delicate hands from Boitano... just a thought...

Evan has never displayed the same level of artistry that Boitano had in his '88 LP, come on now.

Blades of Passion said:
Joubert has NEVER "brought that". The most he's ever done is 2 Quads and 7 Triples in a program. He hasn't even done multiple Quads in a program in over 2 years.
Actually, was it 2006 or 2007 COR - he did 3 brilliant quads and nailed the rest of his program.

2006 CoR, which is over 2 years ago. And even in that program he didn't complete all the tech content, despite the 3 Quads. He doubled out on both of his combination jumps.

Last edited:

viv

On the Ice
... Joubert used his hands more lately and I think his hands are much better than before.

:eek:

What? Are you honetly suggesting Lysacek should imitate Jouberts arm-movements??? Joubert for me ist the worst of the arm-flappers of all - his arm movements never have to do anything with his feet are doing. Really, I didn't want to go into a Joubert-discussion again, but his choreography is grotesque, and so are his arm movements.
Lysacek never was my favourite skater, but this time he had the best overall package. There are a lot of better skaters choreography-wise, but, then, when he skates I never think, oh well, I can go to the bathroom now.

Danale

On the Ice
Yes, and I couldn't help but notice that Tomas and Evan didn't play along. If they felt undermarked in any aspect and at any point, they kept it to themselves.
I was thinking about it myself actually. I saw the men LP and SP press conference and Patrik was constantly speaking for Evan. I thought to myself it's like they're in pair skating :biggrin:

We want Göteborg back! We want Göteborg back! We want Göteborg back!
Now seriously, at least hold the worlds in a coutry that has more interest in this sport.
And I agree to what was said by some about the lack of crowd support effecting the performance of some skaters.

And last but not least:
:laugh:
Thank you, thank you! I couldn't put my hand on it ... it's the long arms. I always thought of a scarecrow when I watched him, and couldn't say why. Cause I kinda like tall guys.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Evan has never displayed the same level of artistry that Boitano had in his '88 LP, come on now.

I've never thought of Boitano as an overly artistic/lyrical skater. I enjoy his powerhouse style. And I didn't think his Napoleon program was any more artistic than what Evan's been doing... *shrugs*

life684

Final Flight
I had hope for Ponsero will do well, but he didn't. Hopefully next year he will fine will be fine tuned for the Olympics.

I would rather see Daisuke and Plushenko or Joubert join Ponsero on the podium.

Proverb :"Fools make the same mistake again", I wonder want that makes Oda

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
1000 posts on the men's thread! The men are running even with the ladies, helped by the boards crashing on Saturday.

life684, Yannick's disappointing performance was a real shame and will likely cost him his Olympic ticket. If he cannot become consistent FFSG will not risk sending him to major events. Which is really too bad, he's so talented.

life684

Final Flight
1000 posts on the men's thread! The men are running even with the ladies, helped by the boards crashing on Saturday.

life684, Yannick's disappointing performance was a real shame and will likely cost him his Olympic ticket. If he cannot become consistent FFSG will not risk sending him to major events. Which is really too bad, he's so talented.

Marry an italian girl; Apparently Ponsero also has italian roots, and with Contesti ensuring second team spot for italy that seems a great idea. france can still Do with Jourbert, Amodio or Preaubert. (i wonder want Zelenka or even Baccini thinks of this idea.)