Men's SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men's SP

temperboy28

Match Penalty
I think Jeff has this in the bag with even a decent free skate. A decent free skate he should score atleast a 150, even if not totally clean, and of course no quad attempts. Evan will not score higher then a 160 in front of an international judging panel even if he does his U.S Nationals long program, quad and all. I am certain of that much.

rain

Record Breaker
Well that's a surprising outcome of the SP. I'm guessing since none of them showed deductions for falls, Sandhu and Lysacek must have popped or doubled something. Yea Buttle! Keep it up!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Extremely happy for Ryan... but... what did Evan do (or rather didn't do) that put him so low?

temperboy28

Match Penalty
A report says Buttle wasnt even clean:

The superior footwork and spins of Canada's Jeffrey Buttle made up for a stumble on a triple axel as he won the men's short program Wednesday night at Four Continents.

Buttle scored a personal-best 77.72 points despite putting both hands down to steady himself on the second leap of his program.

That is good, I would have been so mad if the judges gave him that score for a clean skate.

singerskates

On the Ice
A report says Buttle wasnt even clean:

That is good, I would have been so mad if the judges gave him that score for a clean skate.

Well this is only Jeff second competiton of the year. At least Jeff didn't fall on his triple axel like at Canadians in the short. It's only going to get better for Jeff at Worlds. Remember even though Jeff says he's healed, his back injury still could be affecting him on the triple axel. It's very smart of Jeff to up everything else in his program this year to cover the triple axel and when he does have it in the short clean, Jeff's short program mark should be in the 80's.

Wait until you see Jeff skate his freeskate. Actually, you can see Jeff's 2007 Canadians freeskate at youTube.com

goodbyemylover

Rinkside
I read that part about his axel too! It seemed about the same kind of performance as Nationals. But if it's anything like Nationals, he'll still win. :D

Last edited:
(I'm also very happy for Johnny. This will make him feel better! :agree: )
You mean because he stepped aside to give Jeremy Abbott a chance, and Jeremy didn't let him down, right? Sort of like how happy Michelle was that Emily Hughes skated well at Torino. :)

Last edited:
Not totally surprised at Jeremy, but as I have mentioned before that the US newbies (Men) are going to be a formidable force in Vancouver. I can think of several newbies looking at Jeremy's success in senior international competitions and that is going to motivate them. Here come the quads next season!

Now for the LP. Jeffrey and Evan are the most seasoned of all these skaters. Both have already won medals in major competitions. I think the focus will be on them.

Jeremy and Ryan have to hold on. Not easy for either of them. They're not used to this scrutiny. Maybee I believe is too far behind to catch up.

This has turned into a nailbiter without Johnny.

Joe

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
ESPN rid us the right of watching CCTV!! This is disgusting. CCTV5 has to cancel live coverage because of the ridiculously high price asked by ESPN.

I will translate that article later.

It's not being shown in America itself till next week, but ESPN still blocked the Chinese channel broadcasting it online? Thank heavens Eurosport can show it in Europe for the first time since 2003. :agree: It's about time the ISU gave ES favourable rights to show skating as it's a big market here, across the Continent, with more viewers than in America, who usually has the rights to all these events.

YAY! Go Eurosport showing 4CCs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think hte online thing has to do with people in the US being able to see it online, if they do chances are they won't tune into ESPN next weekend... it's dumb but as Sam the American Eagle would say: "It's the AMERICAN way!"

It's not being shown in America itself till next week, but ESPN still blocked the Chinese channel broadcasting it online? Thank heavens Eurosport can show it in Europe for the first time since 2003. :agree: It's about time the ISU gave ES favourable rights to show skating as it's a big market here, across the Continent, with more viewers than in America, who usually has the rights to all these events.

YAY! Go Eurosport showing 4CCs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:
I don't mind waiting to see it shown by ESPN. My problem with ESPN is that it doesn't show enough of the skaters. I happen to enjoy watching the 11th place skater.

Joe

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I enjoy watching the skaters lower down the rankings too, sometimes more fun than the top ranked ones. Also you get a good perspective of the entire event, rather than snippets of what the station wants to show you.