Michelle Kwan - better than ever? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan - better than ever?

Eeyora

Final Flight
I would like to see a compilation program with input from Nichol, Dean and Morosov.

Kuchana

On the Ice
Eeyora said:
I would like to see a compilation program with input from Nichol, Dean and Morosov.

Now that would be an interesting combination!:)

As some of the other posters have already mentioned, I, too prefer Michelle back in the 96-01 days and would love to see her bring back some of those programs but even now I'm still able to appreciate her skating and the ability she has to move me by it. I'm encouraged by the fact that she's improved on her jumps, the only thing missing really is the intricate choreography but I'm hoping to see that come Nationals and onward.

Eeyora said:
That's an interesting concept. Having several choreographers (and coaches to ensure CoP standings) look over the principal choreographers work.

I know Kwan uses her sister to check things out and maybe Peter O, too.

Tarrasova has several of her subordinates to check out her work on whatever skater. Isn't Johnny included in that group? Anyone else checking out Shizuka beside TT?

And Joubert has a Russian choreographer with Yagudin looking in. Am I right?

Is Evgeni totally Mishin?

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Tarrasova has several of her subordinates to check out her work on whatever skater. Isn't Johnny included in that group? Anyone else checking out Shizuka beside TT?
Certainly. Platov is working very closely with TT on all elite skaters.

Is Evgeni totally Mishin?
No, Evgeni is working with choreographers from the Bolshoi. I think this has been a part of his choreo problems -- those people are experts in ballet choreo, but know little about the ice. I think his Nureev program especially reflected this.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I know Kwan uses her sister to check things out and maybe Peter O, too.

Not any more. Her parent's against the idea that her sister and sister inlaw doing chore for her.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Anyway, I think she is progressing athletically but regressing somewhat artistically these last few years, though I still like her skating and spunk.

I have to agree here. It would seem that it is hard to "juggle" both of those areas equally at the same time. When her artistry is brilliant, her tech suffers. When she develops higher jumps and faster spins, her artistry is called "lack-luster". I would think though, that this would be much the same for any athlete at the top of his or her game......................42

mzheng said:
Not any more. Her parent's against the idea that her sister and sister inlaw doing chore for her.
No sister and brother-in-law working with her. I presume then, her team is Dean and Morosov?

Joe

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
gezando said:
and one more quote
It's obvious that my bathroom break comment bothers you, but the topic of the thread is "Michelle Kwan - Better than ever?", and the thread starter asked what we all thought. That's why I said things like "I think" and "Overall I'd say". ;) It's an opinion, no harm, no foul. I'm sorry you can't take it as such and let it go.

The second quote, which was actually from *another* thread, certainly pertains to Michelle as well (as you will notice, I never said she *wasn't* one of the best in the world). What fans think doesn't matter; what matters are the judges. And lucky me, I'm becoming one. :p Fast track, here I come!

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I wouldn't say she is a better skater than she ever has been. She has always been spectacular for various reasons and will continue to be as long as she skates. She gives her all when she takes the ice. You can never count her out. If she is competing, she will likely be contending for gold. And, I'm sorry, but that isn't because the judges love her simply because of her reputation. She is still delivering the goods and no one has come forth that completely blows her out of the water. She isn't by far and away the standard anymore, but she is still a powerhouse (after 10 years!). I am enjoying seeing her try different things. She deserves this opportunity after giving us so many years of excellence.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
Certainly. Platov is working very closely with TT on all elite skaters.

No, Evgeni is working with choreographers from the Bolshoi. I think this has been a part of his choreo problems -- those people are experts in ballet choreo, but know little about the ice. I think his Nureev program especially reflected this.

He has a Nureyev program? EEK!

Some years ago, when I was at the ballet watching Nureyev and Fontaine dancing, I spoke with some Russians during the intermission. At that point in time, they had nothing but bad things to say about him. I guess times have changed. Nureyev was special and no one is going to imitate his style on ice except with posing.

Joe

gezando

Final Flight
peachstatesk8er said:
It's an opinion, no harm, no foul. I'm sorry you can't take it as such and let it go.

Peachskater, here is the chronology. I made a statement based on my observation that some fans used SC as a bathroom break at some competitions. You gave a response. I thought that is usable and can be applied to other skaters. And what you know, I came over here and saw your bathroom break comment, I thought how about applied it here. ;) You drew the wrong conclusion, about
peachskater said:
can't take it as such and let it go

Last edited:

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
gezando said:
Peachskater, here is the chronology. I made a statement based on my observation that some fans used SC as a bathroom break at some competitions. You gave a response. I thought that is usable and can be applied to other skaters. And what you know, I came over here and saw your bathroom break comment, I thought how about applied it here. ;) You drew the wrong conclusion, about
Actually here's the chronology.... I made the bathroom break about Kwan (12/14 @ 8:46pm) BEFORE you made yours about Cohen (12/14 @ 10:57pm...which you then went back and edited out last night [but not before I'd quoted you on it]). ;)

I came ot the conclusion about you not letting it go because you felt the need to quote me three times in 24 hours. I mean, it's cool, it's a true statement, so go ahead. But...one can see how I might think you were dwelling on the subject. ;)

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
Peachskater you drew the wrong conclusion again. Chronology:

On 12/14 4:46 pm you made statement K in this thread: Michelle is becoming your bathroom break.

On 12/14 6:57 pm, I made statement C in another thread: Sasha is bathroom break to some fans (from my observation).

Statement K and C were independent of each other.

You quoted my Cohen is a bathroom break statement and gave a response about the judges, at the Sasha thread on 12/14 7:51 pm

I did not visit the Cohen thread until the following day on 12/15 6:19 pm, I saw your response; I thought your comment about the judges is applicable to most skaters. I replied that the quote is usable. I had a feeling that you might be bothered by my true statement about Sasha being a bathroom break to some fans. So I went back to my original statement made on 12/14 at 6:57 pm and edited it at 6:23 pm. I was well aware that you have quoted me on 12/14 at 7:51 pm.

After that I came over here and visit this thread about Michelle. I came across your statement K made on 12/14 at 4:46 pm. I thought how about use the quote and apply it here in this thread. Therefore I made a reply by quoting the
peachskater said:
at 6:26 pm on 12/15.

On 12/16 at 7:16 pm I was reading Mathman’s comment about the usable statement at the Cohen thread, and I replied to MM, IMO that statement is usable to many skaters.

Then I came over to this thread, on 12/ 16 at 7:44 pm and saw your comment about
peachskater said:
not letting go
made on 12/15 at 11:48 pm. I responded by telling you, that you drew the wrong conclusion.

I then looked at the Sasha thread, and saw you quoting my response to MM by telling me to run along …… that were made at 7:27 pm. I responded by telling you at 7:47 pm that I work at my own pace.

I lost count how many times we quoted each other, but that is just how conversation goes sometimes on message boards. ;) You quoted me 3 times in about 24 hrs also.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
Did you mean last year's Nijinski tribute?
A million thanks for correcting me. That's what happens when you post from work. I didn't visit this thread again, so missed this completely.

Joesitz said:
No sister and brother-in-law working with her. I presume then, her team is Dean and Morosov?
I am not sure Arutunian will just go ahead with whatever others create. The sense I got about him is that if he thinks something is wrong, he won't hesitate to let his skaters know.

Last edited:

shanilia

Rinkside
Mathman said:
The only reason that Michelle ever gave for splitting with Lori and then with Frank was that she "wanted to take control over her own skating." Still, her choice of music since that time shows, to me, that she sacrificed a certain amount of creative originality that she got from her former team.
Yes, I completely agree with this. She was the best with Frank and Lori. Her programs these last few years have been blah. The last great program was Lyra Angelica. SInce then, I don't feel like she's connecting with the music; there's this void between them. I hear the music and I see her skate, but I feel like they're not in sync with each other. There's this emptiness in her programs.

Maybe she should try playing a character again like Salome and Taj Mahal; she always did well with those programs.

Ptichka said:
I am not sure Arutunian will just go ahead with whatever others create. The sense I got about him is that if he thinks something is wrong, he won't hesitate to let his skaters know.

I know little about Arutunian except that Abt left him and Abt went downhill. He's done quite well getting MK to jump higher and very solid. I don't know if she is going for the 3x3s. She did do a 3T2R which is a higher level than 3T2T. If he can't get her 3x3s, then they are not for her. He's having MK's SP to the Armenian Katchaturian's Spartacus. That has such a beautiful adagio melody. I wonder if he or Dean did the choreo. Hope they show that on TV.

If he cracks the whip, so be it as long as it works.

Joe

kyla2

Final Flight
Michelle has improved in the areas of jumps, speed, and spins. She still delivers emotionally charged performances, even with scaled down choreography. That puts her in a class by herself. She continues to relate to and interpret the music better than any other woman skater. After watching Marshalls, I was impressed with the improvements made to the program. But she needs to deliver it with conviction and 6 or 7 triples. Having said that, I miss the combination of Michelle Kwan's brilliant skating and Lori Nichol's exquisite choreography. Together, they redefined skating.