Michelle Kwan - better than ever? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan - better than ever?

soogar said:
The Irina luster is wearing off for me. It seems that Irina is getting sloppier as the season progresses. At first I thought she would unbeatable, but who knows what Irina will skate like in March. In a side by side comparison to Shizuka in the GPF, I think Shizuka will be the one to beat at Worlds. I also think MK has a good shot at doing well against Irina as well.

Irina has good spins but they aren't all that. She has a tendency to travel a lot. I think Shizuka and Sasha spin a lot better than Irina.
ITA, Soogar. Irina's style is set in stone, and I've always had a problem trying to enjoy that cautious approach she uses to each element. There is no spontoneity in her programs. She doesn't flow from one element to another. She doesn't dance the routine but lines up all the elements one after another.

She is cute and she's been through a lot but I don't believe that's worthy of extra points. The only thing different each year is that she adds another trick to the program. Her overfull programs never really look like one is seeing something different than last year except for the different tune playing. Still she is THE competitor under the CoP, and imo, the odds on favorite for Worlds.

I much prefer to watch Shizuka and Sasha, too.

Joe

I get more confused as the season progresses. After Campbell's I thought Michelle couldn't lose. After Marshall's I thought she couldn't win. After Cup of Russia I thought Irina couldn't lose. After the GP Finals, even though she won the event, now I'm not so sure (I think her hectic schedule caught up with her).

After Worlds last year I thought Shizuka was the one. She hasn't won anything at all this year. What about Miki Ando? Last year she was all the rage, this year she is hardly mentioned.

Are the Canadian girls for real or have they just benefited from weak competition?

Last year Sasha won everything in sight in the first half of the season, then had hard luck in the second half (although a world silver medal isn't exactly chopped liver). This year she had a terrible first half. Second half??????

Anyway, on topic: Yes, Michelle is better than ever and will win her 9th U.S. National and 6th World championships.

Mathman ;)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Well Put!!

Mathman said:
I get more confused as the season progresses. After Campbell's I thought Michelle couldn't lose. After Marshall's I thought she couldn't win. After Cup of Russia I thought Irina couldn't lose. After the GP Finals, even though she won the event, now I'm not so sure (I think her hectic schedule caught up with her).

After Worlds last year I thought Shizuka was the one. She hasn't won anything at all this year. What about Miki Ando? Last year she was all the rage, this year she is hardly mentioned.

Are the Canadian girls for real or have they just benefited from weak competition?

Last year Sasha won everything in sight in the first half of the season, then had hard luck in the second half (although a world silver medal isn't exactly chopped liver). This year she had a terrible first half. Second half??????

Anyway, on topic: Yes, Michelle is better than ever and will win her 9th U.S. National and 6th World championships.

Mathman ;)
I've been trying to summarize how my thoughts have wandered through the GP / Cheesefest portion of the season, and you put the worlds in my mouth re all the top ladies!!

I don't think there is anyone emerging for me as an absolute favorite for Worlds.

I am among the masses who have loved Michelle's skating over the years. I was intriqued with the Bolero introduction at Campbell's since most agree this was a challenging choice of music. To me anyway, it's a piece where the skater has to lift up that music rather than the music lifting up the skater. I thought if anyone could do it, Michelle could. I was disappointed with the Marshall's program. My mind was drifting away early in the program. It will be interesting to see what Michelle brings to it at Nationals.

DG

lavender

Record Breaker

We will see but of course I hope. Michelle's the favorite and Sasha's the underdog this time so now Sasha might surprise us.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Possibly...I don't know, I've never been less excited about U.S. Nats until now. Maybe because there is no real competition except for Mk and SC, and we all know who's going to get the better of it. Plus, everyone seems to be hurt.

soogar

Record Breaker
Are the Canadian girls for real:
I don't really think so. Everyone hates me for saying this but I am not into Joannie's skating at all and Cynthia has really benefitted from weak competition. I don't see Joannie as a top 6 skater. There's something about her skating that I can't quite put my finger on that I really dislike. She seems quite "heavy" on the ice and her jumps don't have as much flow as the other ladies.... something even though she's really not a bad skater, she just doesn't appeal to me.

Miki on the other hand is something special. Last season I couldn't get the hype about her as I thought she skated like a block of wood. This year I'm so impressed with her. Her skates this year have been a real treat and she has been skating with a lot of spunk and fire (GP final). Her skating skills are excellent and so are her spins. She just flows across the ice and her jumps look extremely effortless. Check out her performances in the SP and LP at GP final on FSU. She is the real deal.

Mathman said:
Are the Canadian girls for real or have they just benefited from weak competition?Mathman ;)

There is a lot of interest in the Canadian ladies but the interest doesn't stretch to gold medals. There are four genuine 'old timers' who will be battling it out in Moscow.

Joannie and Cynthia are completely new to the top tier and should be noticed for their progress in figure skating. Maybe the days of the teenybopper Oly champs are over. We're demanding something more than 'isn't she darling and with that great quad lutz - two footed - but still' mentality. Anyway, let's see how far Joannie and Cynthia go this season (maybe both in top 10?) then expect more from them next season. Talented skaters improve every year.

Joe

Last edited:

bronxgirl

Medalist
lavender said:
We will see but of course I hope. Michelle's the favorite and Sasha's the underdog this time so now Sasha might surprise us.

Michelle has been the favorite and Sasha the underdog so often in the US natls, I don't think that this will have any impact on Sasha (or Michelle)

Vash01

Medalist
mzheng said:
I agree. Subcontiously judgers setting up her well for the worlds coming to Mosco.

I don't believe the judges are setting her (Irina) up for anything. She has EARNED every win so far, which is an incredible feat. She has not received any sympathy marks. She just skated better than all the other skaters. Had Michelle and Sasha been in the GP it is hard to tell where she would have placed. I am sure of one thing though- she would have delivered similar high quality performances. She is skating for the joy of it, and it shows. If someone else skates better than her in Moscow, I don't see why that skater would not win.

It is nice to see her as the favorite going into worlds in Moscow, but it is not because the judges set her up for it. Also, it does not mean she will win there regardless of how anyone skates.

Vash

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Yeah. So far she earned her win. But her marks some what inflated. Can't say judgers are not humen. Just as you, me and a lot of other fans impressed by her performance considering what she had been through, Judgers must be impressed as well. JMO.

ETA,
Since two of top Rusian skaters doing so well under CoP in GPs this season, I diddn't hear any Piseeve complainning about using CoP in Mosco any more. Hm.??

Last edited by a moderator:

StillBlueLake

Rinkside
I love the new version of Bolero and I've watched it several times now. The performance aspect of it was lacking, but I love the new stuff. When was the last time we had new stuff? Had to be 01.

I think Michelle will win Nationals, but not Worlds. I see her 2nd or 3rd at Worlds.

I don't think Irina has been given any gifts, but I do think she will have the home team advantage at Worlds, just as Kwan had it in DC in 03.

As for Sasha, she could obviously still pull it out, but I am not counting on it.

Kuchana

On the Ice
StillBlueLake said:
I love the new version of Bolero and I've watched it several times now. The performance aspect of it was lacking, but I love the new stuff. When was the last time we had new stuff? Had to be 01.

I think Michelle will win Nationals, but not Worlds. I see her 2nd or 3rd at Worlds.

I don't think Irina has been given any gifts, but I do think she will have the home team advantage at Worlds, just as Kwan had it in DC in 03.

As for Sasha, she could obviously still pull it out, but I am not counting on it.

Yeah I'm starting to like Bolero a little more each time I see it. I'm thinking that come Nationals Michelle will sell it to me and wow me as she usually does:) I liked the new moves in her program and it's refreshing to see her trying new things even if I don't like the music still!! :) I'm so hoping she's not going to use this for Turino. I can't wait to see her short though.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but I think that Michelle will rise to the challenge that Irina is presenting to her, even moreso since it's on Irina's home turf. I mean who would have thought she'd come from behind and win 00 Worlds or 01 Worlds for that matter? So I definitely think she has the goods and the will to win even if it's in Moscow. I feel if she's able to skate a formidable program, there's no way the judges will have any choice but to award her the title that is if and I mean IF she skates a perfect program AND she's in the right position because goodness knows, she ruined her chances indefinitely by messing up in the qualifying round last year. Yet, I'm glad to see Irina and Michelle rekindling their rivalry and may the best lady win. If Michelle doesn't win, I'd be happy to see Irina win instead :)

kyla2

Final Flight
Anything can happen at Nationals and at Worlds. Irina and Shizuka may not land all their triples, and Michelle may rise to the challenge and land 7 triples perfectly. Sasha could pull it together for the first time this season. When you have skaters of this quality, anything is possible, and at the same time, nothing is for sure. None of them should be underestimated. Having said that, I predict Michelle will win Nationals. I will make no predictions about Worlds because the Grand Prix issue may come into play if it is close. I wouldn't be surprised if they "send a message" to those they consider non-compliant.