michelle kwan forum | Page 3 | Golden Skate

michelle kwan forum

R.D.

Record Breaker
gezando said:
You talked about MK's fanatics, as long as it is fair discussion to talk about other skater's fanatics. :)

Well, of course it would be. Why even bring this up? :confused: :scratch:

I'm sure there were rabid MK fans at the competition, as well as rabid SC fans, etc. The MK fans just outnumber them by a whole lot. The bigger crowd gets more of the blame for a single behavior.

Fossi

Final Flight
Wowwie Wow, Wow~!!! I just went to Sashafans and read about how ugly Michelle is and her LP dress! :rofl:
I went to MKF and read about Dick Button giving Sasha credit for bringing back the Charlotte, when it was actually Michelle Kwan that started doing this in '98.
(which is true, BTW, Michelle was doing this in Ariane, I do remember that because the media had a full article about it back then. :laugh: )
Anyhoo...looks like both skater forums have some fans with negative thoughts towards the other. Not just MKF, or Sashafans.
I also read on Sashafans alot of bragging about not standing for michelle's win. That's immature. I would think that you would have the decency to respect a good skate. Wow!

Okay, my last post. I guess I just needed to see for myself how awful these mk fans are at MKF, and it turns out they're not as bad as reported here.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Toni, I'm sorry you were treated that way! That's sad. If you didn't feel led to stand up then you shouldn't. I think the big problem is "fanatics" of any skater...those who take their fandom too far and end up taking it out on either other skaters or other fans in person or online. They mess things up for the rest of us "sane" fans. At least I think I'm sane, I hope so. I do post on Sashafans on occasion, I hope I'm seen as sane. :biggrin: I've read MKF on occasion, mostly when I'm looking for info, a review, etc. I find it to be mostly good sane people with only a few crazies! :p The problem is that these "few crazies" on any board (most boards have a few! ;) )garner the most attention and really ruin it for the majority.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
gezando said:
:) you are the moderator :) You talked about MK's fanatics, as long as it is fair discussion to talk about other skater's fanatics. :)

Since other skater's fanatic's, in this case Sasha's HAVE been discussed on this thread I don't see that the mods have been unfair to anyone. There is no indication that MKF is being criticised any more than SF. Going back and reading the entire thread MKF may be mentioned more but as far as criticism it is pretty much evenly divided between MKF and SF.

Red Dog said:
If I may, a thread was started at Sashafans about "what annoys you about Kwan's skating". Immediately posters jumped in to say they also like MK and asked him to tone his comments down. So it's not all bad...however, it's still a Sasha fan board.
That sounds like Wofice and for those who know her from Golden Skate will just ignore her. She once posted on Golden Skate before she screamed about Sarah winning the Oly was: What is it you like about Sasha? She won't quit and I don't think she is any bit knowledgeable about the arts so why bother.

BTW, she lurks here and will see some of this post and have Dustin come in and ask me to delete it.

I don't know the Sasha site nor do I know MKF site so I don't know if these forums are anti each other, and I really have no time for them. I'm in GS to share views of good skating and good competitions.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joe... I don't think these boards are anti-each other... they're just the biggest boards for the two ladies with teh biggest fan base. Like most have said a few out of many give each board a rather weird reputation. The sad thing is a lot of people then equate their dislike of the boards into a dislike for the skaters.

Considering I post on both boards and I'm not a fan of either I guess I can't say they're exclusive groups... just gotta be able to steer clear of the gushing threads :laugh: Seriously though, gez, I didn't jump on anyone's case about anything, so no worries. I mentioned the MK fanatics because I had to sit by them during the LP. It was annoying and since I paid money to see teh skating and not just Michelle it was rude. Next time I just may end up skipping the last flight of ladies :laugh: too crowded by then anyway....

gezando

Final Flight
Piel said:
Since other skater's fanatic's, in this case Sasha's HAVE been discussed on this thread I don't see that the mods have been unfair to anyone. There is no indication that MKF is being criticised any more than SF. Going back and reading the entire thread MKF may be mentioned more but as far as criticism it is pretty much evenly divided between MKF and SF.

I am not saying the mods are unfair. Just want to know the rules re: talking about other forums, and posters here. BTW, all the talk about the crazies at MKF, and crazies at SCF,at least the crazies are posters, and not the admin or owner of MKF. OTOH, an admin or owner of a Sasha fans forum bashed MK here at GS that "she knife Frank in the back" The same owner / admin of a Sasha fans forum compared MK to "Hitler" There is a difference IMHO b/w "crazies" who are just posters and "crazies" who is an owner of a forum or 2 forums :) Now a sane admin or owner of a forum may allow a certain degree of free speech, as the mods are exercising here. Why oh why do sane people post at forums when one of the owners seem to be so "insane"

BTW, she lurks here and will see some of this post and have Dustin come in and ask me to delete it.

You mean you have 2 degree of separation from p@ul!ne through Dustin?

Last edited:
Toni - You are absolutely right to have your views on anything. What you have to understand is that others will have other views.

If you had trouble sitting in a kwaniac section at the Nats then you should have moved. I think I sat in my original seat once for the entire 10days. At competition time, I zone out of the people around me and often find a space where there are plenty of empty seats so I can appreciate what is going on on the ice even if it's 5 rows back. I do like figure skating, and while I love MK and JW, I'm still more interested in who skates the best that night. I'm not at Nats for Michelle or Sasha or both. I'm not there for the glamour of the hotties. I'm there for the sport. The Mets do not always win infact they hardly ever win but I'm still a fan, so nothing is going to change my feelings. I like baseball even if they lose.

Having said all that, your point about the two forums is exactly how I feel except I don't go to them and I don't care what either have to say because I am a man of my own ethics. There is absolutely nothing about those forums that demonstrates any interest in the sport of figure skating. They seem to be there solely to prove that one skater is better than the other, and their regular posters, imo, do not know what sports are all about. Maybe it's a girlie thing.

Joe

gezando

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Maybe it's a girlie thing.

Joe

Now you are in the company of president Summers of Harvard who said it is a girlie thing that women suck at science and math??

apache88 said:
If any moderator finds my posts to be inappropriate, please let me know, I will gladly delete them and my apology to those who are offended. :)
Apache, on the contrary, your posts are a model of reason and good will.

What the guidelines frown on, IMHO, is excessive, if not, indeed, obsessive, negative posting about a skater, that skater's fans, or other posters. It's like, OK, Poster X doesn't like so-and-so -- we get it, we get it!

I do, however, get a kick out of all those sly Internet postings, that go, "I am a big Michelle Kwan fan -- too bad she's such a mean, ugly, untalented b."

Mathman

R.D.

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
Joe... I don't think these boards are anti-each other... they're just the biggest boards for the two ladies with teh biggest fan base. Like most have said a few out of many give each board a rather weird reputation.

I don't, either...I'm sure there are plenty of Sasha fans on MKF and MK fans on Sashafans. It's just the vocal few that like ONLY MK or ONLY Sasha and bash the opponent that give the boards a bad name. Therefore, you get the feeling at times that MKF is anti-Cohen or Sashafans is anti-Kwan. The fans who I really feel sorry for are those who like both of them.

Tonichelle said:
The sad thing is a lot of people then equate their dislike of the boards into a dislike for the skaters.

There's a lot in that statement...I found that happening with me as well. MK's EXTREMELY annoying rabid fans drove me to the point where for a while I actually hated MK. And it wasn't MK's doing, either.

Recently it's been happening with Sasha...the people constantly accusing me of being her fan, as well as HER rabid teenage fans drove me over the edge and I started to dislike her. But, unlike MK I also don't like Sasha's personality, so that contributes to my not liking her as well. And her skating leaves me with a cold feeling, so nothing there, either.

Mathman said:
I do, however, get a kick out of all those sly Internet postings, that go, "I am a big Michelle Kwan fan -- too bad she's such a mean, ugly, untalented b."

I think it's funny too, but it's sad as well...I bet you anything that they do that to avoid any backlash from the Kwanatics. When will the day come where we can speak our opinion without being accused of hating Skater A or liking Skater B? I guess I just must dream on...:sheesh:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
When will the day come where we can speak our opinion without being accused of hating Skater A or liking Skater B? I guess I just must dream on...

RD ITA. I will add so what if you like or don't like a skater for ANY reason. It's sport and entertainment not the United Nations.

Last edited:

kyla2

Final Flight
Interesting....

Some very interesting posts here. I have never been to Sasha's fan sites, so I have no idea what they are like. All I ask for on any skating site is moderation and reasonable behavior, which on some sites and in some individual cases, is apaprently too much to ask for. I do not wish for a skater to fail, so another can win. There is something to admire in all of them from my perspective. Yet, there is usually one skater that "speaks" to every figure skating fan. For me, that is Michelle. But at the same time, I am in awe of Sasha's unqiue gifts as well. Even though her perfomances are usually "flawed," she is an undeniable presence on the ice and her skating is beautiful. I also love Angela's beautiful jumps (to me, the most gorgeous jumper of all), Irina's footwork, Shizuka's Ina Bauer etc. I don't like bashing a skater either (although I will admit, I do not like Katarina Witt and once went over the top in my comments regarding her). I do think it is o.k. to make observations about a skater or their skating if it is respectful. I don't believe in censorship if people make observations, whether they are new to the site or not. If they are trolls, it will become apparent soon enough, and in the meantime, I am not going to impugn their motives. I guess that's how I feel.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
The fans who I really feel sorry for are those who like both of them (MK and Sasha).
Well then I guess you should feel sorry for me -- I am a fan of both. :laugh:

Even though I am a fan, I do not post on the Sasha boards for reasons that are obvious to anyone who is familiar with skating boards. I DO post on MKF -- the moderators are more reasonable there, even though the lunatic fringe is just as bad. Sometimes it is annoying, but the site is also great for info on skating and Michelle. When I need more objectivity I post at GoldenSkate.

apache88

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Apache, on the contrary, your posts are a model of reason and good will.

What the guidelines frown on, IMHO, is excessive, if not, indeed, obsessive, negative posting about a skater, that skater's fans, or other posters. It's like, OK, Poster X doesn't like so-and-so -- we get it, we get it!

Mathman

Thanks Mathman. I have always enjoyed coming to GS. I wish I had a great deal of interest in figure skating other than just that silly mean Michelle :p so that I could participate much more on this forum. But I really am not interested in this sport in general :mad:

Red Dog said:
When will the day come where we can speak our opinion without being accused of hating Skater A or liking Skater B? I guess I just must dream on...:sheesh:
I doubt that day will come in a skating forum of any female favorite skater. I would venture a guess that the most voicerferous posters of Ladies skating today on the two particular forums are mainly interested in two American skaters ONLY. Their interests in the competitions of Men, Pairs and Dance pale by their interests in two particular skaters.

Joe

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Joesitz said:
I doubt that day will come in a skating forum of any female favorite skater. I would venture a guess that the most voicerferous posters of Ladies skating today on the two particular forums are mainly interested in two American skaters ONLY. Their interests in the competitions of Men, Pairs and Dance pale by their interests in two particular skaters.

Joe
Well Joe, I don't really see anything wrong with that. After all that's how it is for most other sports. I'm a HUGE Braves fan, and I'm much more interested in how the Braves do than I am in baseball in general. I don't know much of anyone who cares as much about how all the other teams are doing collectively as they are in how thier own team is doing. I don't know why we should expect anything different from Skating fans. Skating is a sport too, and people are going to have thier favorites.

I am a Michelle fan, and I do post regularly on MKF. I'm not a fan of Sasha's, but I do think she's a lovely skater, and I do defend her on MKF if I feel its justified, as I do with other skaters. I'm not exclusivly an MK fan, I also love the skating of Fumie, AP, and some others, its just that IMO Michelle is the best.

patsue1947

Rinkside
I'm jumping in with both eyes open here--I visit many skating forums--don't actually post on many of them. MKF started off as a "skater specific" forum--Michelle Kwan was/is one of the WebMaster's favorite skaters. Michelle Kwan & Comp. didn't endorse MKF one way or the other. It was designed to keep other fans of Michelle's updated with news, etc. of their favorite skater. I am a member of MKF--visit there mainly to get the latest on Michelle--she is my favorite skater. I post there semi-regularly. I do not "slaughter" chickens, I do not light candles, or any of the other "uber-fanisms".

As with ALL forums there are people who go overboard--that's their freedom of expression at work. More power to them. Even here at GS--there are people who are extremely skater specific fans. I visit Sasha Fans , too. However, I never post, it is a skater specific forum--not worth the hassle of being thrown off the board, lol.

My feelings are--there isn't one skating forum that is completely objective to ALL skaters--some try, but fall short of the mark!

BravesSkateFan said:
Well Joe, I don't really see anything wrong with that. After all that's how it is for most other sports. I'm a HUGE Braves fan, and I'm much more interested in how the Braves do than I am in baseball in general. I don't know much of anyone who cares as much about how all the other teams are doing collectively as they are in how thier own team is doing. I don't know why we should expect anything different from Skating fans. Skating is a sport too, and people are going to have thier favorites.
Ok but did you ever read a baseball forum where the remarks were out and out catty that one player of the Atlanta team is better dressed than one on the NY Mets? Of course not. If a Brave speaks out badly about NYC in insulting racial overtones, that is something to talk about (and as you know this happened).

Do you get into the off-the-field antics of the Braves as you do about figure skating? If not, why not? What I am trying to say, is that we are demeaning the sport of figure skating which doesn't need any more demeaning by the nitpicking comments of some frenzied fans. I strongly suspect that these frenzied fans have unresolved problems in their lives which they can not cure and use the forums for expelling all that personal anger over two young ladies who have so much more than they do.

Joe

Casper

Rinkside
Do you get into the off-the-field antics of the Braves as you do about figure skating? If not, why not?

The biggest Braves story this past season was what's his name getting charged with his 2nd or 3rd DUI. The judge put off his sentence until after the postseason was over.

Not to mention Chipper Jones and the Hooters girl. That made for some interesting conversations from the guys I work with.

I think that people get into the private lives of athletes to try to relate to them in some way. It makes them more human. That's part of why we have Sasha giving us videos of her making cookies/chocolates and Michelle posing for milk ads. It makes them out to be regular girls/women. I can eat my cookies and drink my milk while and be just like Michelle and Sasha.