Michelle Kwan Offered Job with NBC to Commentate at Olympics | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan Offered Job with NBC to Commentate at Olympics

S

SkateFan4Life

NBC tried to hire Michelle Kwan as an on-camera analyst for the women's figure skating competition so that she would remain in Torino and bring her "star quality" to the event.

Instead, Michelle declined the offer and plans to return home to California today. She said she did not want to be a distraction and/or take attention from the women who will be competing in the Olympic figure skating event next week.

Last night's news showed Michelle moving out of the Olympic village and into the hotel where her parents are staying. They all plan to fly home today.

If word got out that she accepted, the rating would go sky high. NBC scouts are no fools.

I think Michelle gave the correct answer. She would be a distraction to her former competitors and much too much of a lady to say something like: there goes so and so with her famous flutz.

Going home is the right thing for her.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I also think she made the right choice. She gets all the attention everywhere she goes. Who cares about the competition going on when we can see/listen to MK?

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I agree she made the correct decision to not only decline the NBC offer, but to go home so that the attention is now focused on the medal condenders.

Enero

On the Ice
I personally think NBC asking her to commentate was extremely insensitive. The poor girl just had to pull out of what is no doubt her last Olympics, her last chance at winning an OGM due to injury, and they want her to commentate. :disapp:

As someone stated earlier I guess they were thinking about the possible ratings boost, but they had to know that there was no way Michelle would try to commentate the ladies events after the tears and anguish she's endured and is still enduring over having to pull out. It would be way too painful for her to do such a thing. Maybe in 2010 but not in Turin.

R.D.

Record Breaker
don't take this the wrong way, but I really don't see MK as a commentator. I just don't think she has the delivery needed to be a good PBP analyst. Maybe with some coaching she can do it 8 or 12 years from now, but not at this moment...sorry.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
don't take this the wrong way, but I really don't see MK as a commentator. I just don't think she has the delivery needed to be a good PBP analyst. Maybe with some coaching she can do it 8 or 12 years from now, but not at this moment...sorry.

Oh thank God I'm not the only one... she needs to be coached in speaking... she doesn't ennunciate and that is so important in commentary.

I am glad she declined... there are about 5 too many skating commentators as it IS

S

SkateFan4Life

Red Dog said:

Your comments are OK, RedDog. Michelle would, obviously, be a rookie television commentator, and she made the right decision in declining the offer from NBC. The media attention would be focused on her, and that just would not be right or fair to the women who will be competing. Just my opinion, of course.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMO, the fact that Kwan does not yet have the delivery necessary for a good PBP commentator is the least of the reasons why I think she made the right choice in not taking NBC's offer. After all, the lack of delivery would not be such a great problem if she were doing the interviews in the K & C (her tact would make her glow in comparison Peter C), but the real problems -- her emotional state and the fact that her presence would steal atttention from the competitors --would remain.

S

SkateFan4Life

Of course. Michelle's remaining at the Olympics would cause much of the media to focus on her, rather than the women who will be competing, and that would not be for the best. I hope Michelle returns to California, recovers quickly, takes some time to reflect on what she wishes to do, and then gets on with her life.

Justafan

On the Ice
She could be trained to be a good commentator. She certainly couldn't be any worse than some of the others out there and maybe she would have the sense not to jabber throughout everyone's performance!

S

SkateFan4Life

Justafan said:
She could be trained to be a good commentator. She certainly couldn't be any worse than some of the others out there and maybe she would have the sense not to jabber throughout everyone's performance!

True. Maybe Michelle will be a commentator at the 2010 Olympics - provided that she's retired from eligible skating. :biggrin:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I personally think NBC asking her to commentate was extremely insensitive. The poor girl just had to pull out of what is no doubt her last Olympics, her last chance at winning an OGM due to injury, and they want her to commentate.

I agree........As for commentating.......no one was worse than Jill Trenery.....she kept referring to her fellow commentators as......"hey guys".......:p 42

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
She said she did not want to be a distraction and/or take attention from the women who will be competing in the Olympic figure skating event next week.
Class.:rock:

R.D.

Record Breaker
As sick as I am of the foaming at the mouth here, I have to agree that it was big of her to pull out of the Olys. However, not to take anything away from her- I don't know if she really had much of a choice. She could have skated, yes, but she likely would have done really badly and I don't think she wanted to go out on a sour note. She clearly wasn't well for some reason, and decided to pull herself off.

I'll end it there.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Red Dog said:
As sick as I am of the foaming at the mouth here, I have to agree that it was big of her to pull out of the Olys. However, not to take anything away from her- I don't know if she really had much of a choice. She could have skated, yes, but she likely would have done really badly and I don't think she wanted to go out on a sour note. She clearly wasn't well for some reason, and decided to pull herself off.

I'll end it there.

First, the fact that it might have been necessary probably didn't make it easier. After all, there was always the miracle that what happened to S/Z could happen to her -- adrenaline is amazing. Second, and more important, even if she did have to drop out, she could have stayed around -- as a spectator or commentator -- and for her not to do so shows graciousness, independently of the necessity.

R.D.

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Second, and more important, even if she did have to drop out, she could have stayed around -- as a spectator or commentator -- and for her not to do so shows graciousness, independently of the necessity.

definitely a good point. But seriously, blocking the fans out, I do admire her for keeping a good head on her shoulders despite all the attention she gets. Definitely one of the more down to earth celebrities. Maybe if there weren't so many crazy fans trying to tear her down she would open up a little more.