Michelle Kwan's Husband Filed for Divorce | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan's Husband Filed for Divorce

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh my, I really think you are on to something. Seems like you've hit the nail on the head. That's so unfortunate, but highly likely to be the truth.

As far as her net worth vs his family inheritance, jeez. I did not go to TMZ, so I haven't seen anything specific about the filing, but I heard he was asking for legal fees to be paid by her. That's likely another clue right there that he feels she is monetarily better off than him? Oh boy. Rotten news, but I'm sure the break-up has been happening for awhile. It could be related to her hard work and hours spent on Hillary's campaign, but there's got to be other things too that just weren't working out for them.

It is better to split than to be unhappy in any relationship. If Clay feels shunted aside and lesser than in MK's presence, then he's really just not strong enough for Kween, IMHO. Good riddance.

She should stay single unless and until she finds a true keeper.

I think the legal fees thing is just something that's put in so as not to waive it. Divorce settlements are almost always negotiated. Legal fees just get folded into the settlement amount. In this case, where both parties appear to have significant assets, I doubt if legal fees are going to be an issue.

Warwick360

Medalist
Shocked.:eekn: I mean, yes, these things happen and it's not the end of the world. But, still sad. That was a huge wedding and they seemed so happy.

From what I've seen, huge weddings hardly guarantee a long lasting marriage, if half the Hollywood is anything to go by. :rolleye:

Warwick360

Medalist
That's the thing about marriage, half of them will end in divorce. Wishing them both the best as they move on. The Kween seems to have a very full life and a lot of good people around her, I'm confident she'll get through this just fine.

But keeping that in mind, in this day and age, I wonder why people even bother with marriage. There may be benefit for people of less affluence to go for marriage or Civil union because of the legal benefits. But when one is rich and when half the Hollywood is already a divorce victim, i just don't see the incentive for the rich and famous to be married.

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
I have been a huge fan since she was a young girl. She is an icon but lately she has distanced herself from her skating career and has expressed almost shame for her claim to fame like it's somehow not worthy enough. I don't know if it was the liberal politics or the politician husband making her step back that way. My hope is that now she is divorcing and the election is over, she can embrace her past once more. I am a republican who voted for Trump but Kwan is still my favorite.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I have been a huge fan since she was a young girl. She is an icon but lately she has distanced herself from her skating career and has expressed almost shame for her claim to fame like it's somehow not worthy enough. I don't know if it was the liberal politics or the politician husband making her step back that way. My hope is that now she is divorcing and the election is over, she can embrace her past once more. I am a republican who voted for Trump but Kwan is still my favorite.

She did a lot of publicity for both Nationals and Worlds last season. She's recently did an interview with Scott Hamilton on Ice Network. She comments frequently on fellow skaters' social media accounts (past and present). She's not "ashamed" of her skating past, but exploring other options that have opened up in her life due to her hard work getting multiple degrees in international relations and working with the State Department. She's still connected to skating, but you can't expect her to ONLY be a skater for the rest of her life.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Hopefully next time she'll choose wiser.

Ha! You must mean choosing a partner in future. Hillary was definitely the right choice. No way in hell that MK would choose Trumpster and repugnant Repubs. I think she's okay with more responsible Repubs, since she was appointed the first ever state department Public Diplomacy Envoy by Condoleeza Rice.

Oh well, I think MK should stay single until and unless lightning strikes in a way where it's a guy who's completely comfortable playing second fiddle and being supportive to a high profile star who everyone loves.

Marriage is not easy. And politics can be like snakes on a plane. :eekn: But anyways, MK is involved in public service for the good she can bring to others, and because she's a patriot in the truest and best sense.

Art&Sport

Medalist

I don't see anywhere that MK has ever expressed 'shame' for her skating career. Quite the opposite. She's proud of her past accomplishments. She knows the hard work and dedication it took, and the many gifts her career bestowed on her and her family. Boy you must be reading too much into something you heard her say. Every athlete must move on when their career is over. Some choose to remain involved in the sport. Many others do not. I'm happy for MK that she found something meaningful and purposeful to move on to that has been fulfilling to her on many levels.

As far as expressing 'shame,' some Repub voters should definitely be the ones doing so IMHO. But let's not get into the politics of D.C. that has been so OTT negative for so long, much of it stemming from Repubs' relentlessly two-faced tactics.

But keeping that in mind, in this day and age, I wonder why people even bother with marriage. There may be benefit for people of less affluence to go for marriage or Civil union because of the legal benefits. But when one is rich and when half the Hollywood is already a divorce victim, i just don't see the incentive for the rich and famous to be married.

Michelle Kwan is not of Hollywood at all, despite knowing and associating with many people who are actors in Hollywood. It doesn't matter if you are rich and famous, or poor and unknown, DIVORCE can happen to anyone.

Last edited:

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
I don't see anywhere that MK has ever expressed 'shame' for her skating career. Quite the opposite. She's proud of her past accomplishments. She knows the hard work and dedication it took, and the many gifts her career bestowed on her and her family. Boy you must be reading too much into something you heard her say. Every athlete must move on when their career is over. Some choose to remain involved in the sport. Many others do not. I'm happy for MK that she found something meaningful and purposeful to move on to that has been fulfilling to her on many levels.

As far as expressing 'shame,' some Repub voters should definitely be the ones doing so IMHO. But let's not get into the politics of D.C. that has been so OTT negative for so long, much of it stemming from Repubs' relentlessly two-faced tactics.

Michelle Kwan is not of Hollywood at all, despite knowing and associating with many people who are actors in Hollywood. It doesn't matter if you are rich and famous, or poor and unknown, DIVORCE can happen to anyone.
It was stated on a show on NBC a year or so ago. She talked about how shallow her career was and how she wanted to distance herself from the sport to focus on her new role as politician wife and campaigner. I hope that she will find her pride in accomplishment again now that the election is over and she is divorcing. She has always been a great roll model and ambassador of her federation and the sport of figure skating and it isn't shallow or not worthy. It is a forum to fame where they can use their bully pulpit to raise awareness for what they believe in. I always love Michelle and I miss her at skating events.

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
She did a lot of publicity for both Nationals and Worlds last season. She's recently did an interview with Scott Hamilton on Ice Network. She comments frequently on fellow skaters' social media accounts (past and present). She's not "ashamed" of her skating past, but exploring other options that have opened up in her life due to her hard work getting multiple degrees in international relations and working with the State Department. She's still connected to skating, but you can't expect her to ONLY be a skater for the rest of her life.
I am glad to hear it. It was a couple of years ago when I saw her say the other. I just wish I could remember where I saw it so I could post a link.

Shani

On the Ice
Sorry, but Michelle Kwan's skating career was phenomenal and has absolutely nothing to do with her divorce or marriage or political career or spouses career. Give her privacy here.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Major :yawn: to some of the judgmental comments and assumptions on this thread.

MK has a lot to be proud of in both her skating career and her political work. She's got grit. I'm sure she'll rebound from the recent setbacks.

clippers8200

On the Ice

I worked with MK on the campaign and can attest to her passion for the causes. I don't think she thinks skating isn't worthy enough of a claim to fame for her -- she is genuinely passionate about the issues she fights for. All the respect in the world to her for choosing the incredibly hard campaign lifestyle to put her principles in action. It's not an easy lifestyle - it's straining on your family, your friends, and your own self.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I think even discussing this is in bad taste. You can speculate all you want but no one knows what truly goes on in a marraige except the two people that are married. I think we should give them the privacy that any personal problem deserves.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Awww, this breaks my heart. :( I'm going through a generally similar scenario with the ending of my marriage a few months ago, so my empathy for Michelle is in full blown overload at the moment. Divorce sucks, no matter how you slice it and dice it. Of course, for many people, divorce can end up being the best thing that ever happened to them, but it's these early stages that many find to be the hardest part of the process. I wish Michelle well and hope that one day, if and when she's ready, she will find love again.

:ghug:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.