Michelle Kwan's Husband Filed for Divorce | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan's Husband Filed for Divorce

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatinggold

On the Ice
There's only a handful of reasons why people divorce. One is someone is cheating in the relationship, and I highly doubt it's Michelle. Second, someone is either gay in the marriage. Third, the man feels insecure because the lady is more famous. Whatever it is, you don't just throw away a 5 year old marriage. At least they are not attacking each other like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. Pay your own lawyers Clay, be the man that you should be. This is a low blow to announce it yourself instead of a joint statement.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
There's only a handful of reasons why people divorce. One is someone is cheating in the relationship, and I highly doubt it's Michelle. Second, someone is either gay in the marriage. Third, the man feels insecure because the lady is more famous. Whatever it is, you don't just throw away a 5 year old marriage.

Wow, this really takes the cake. Your viewpoint is, um, reductive to say the least.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
There's only a handful of reasons why people divorce. One is someone is cheating in the relationship, and I highly doubt it's Michelle. Second, someone is either gay in the marriage. Third, the man feels insecure because the lady is more famous. Whatever it is, you don't just throw away a 5 year old marriage. At least they are not attacking each other like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. Pay your own lawyers Clay, be the man that you should be. This is a low blow to announce it yourself instead of a joint statement.

I really dislike or rather think it is unfair that because Michelle is a famous skater all the sympathy should go to her. Who knows what happened. Who knows who is more at fault. And it is none of our business. It is sad for both her and Clay and I hope both of htem have good supports. But now is the time to focus on worlds not on a former top skater and her marriage.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I was just saying recently to my sister that you never hear or see Clay anymore and then I noticed she wasn't wearing her engagement ring and wedding ring in recent photos on Instagram. So sad.

She was hiding ring finger awhile ago . Thisis not a surprisetoanyone listening to her- I would bet they were separated a long time. Sad two people with all they have couldn't make it work.

auser

Record Breaker
These things do happen. I agree it's sad but it's not really the end of the world. In the USA almost half of marriages end in divorce; our favorite ex skaters unfortunately aren't immune, and just like any other person they make it through it.

I don't honestly think their reasons or what the divorce papers say are any of our business, whether or not the divorce papers are public, so I won't be speculating on any of that, but then I'm old fashioned that way. I would view statements willingly given to the press by either one as fair game, but that's it.

Respectful and classy :yes::thank:

brightphoton

Medalist
I really dislike or rather think it is unfair that because Michelle is a famous skater all the sympathy should go to her. Who knows what happened.

Come on, it's our Michelle. Of course we're going to sympathize with her. She gave us East of Eden and Fields of Gold. What has Clay Pell ever done that equals that?

I'm not feeling sympathetic to a man who filed for divorce against Michelle, and didn't immediately offer to at least pay both his and her legal fees.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So sorry that this is happening. Hoping the split is as amicable as possible & they can both move on to better days.

tulosai

Record Breaker

Oh dude. I was a divorce lawyer for years and believe me there are a LOT of reasons why people divorce. And believe it or not, in my own experience, the most common is just that they can't stand one another anymore and don't have common values/goals anymore. Second most common reason in people under 40 only, especially those in a certain income bracket? One wants kids/more kids other does not. I DO NOT speculate that either thing is happening here- I have no idea- but to be like there are only 3 reasons people divorce- cheating, gayness, and male insecurity? Are you freaking kidding me here????

I honestly find almost all the comments on this thread both distasteful and laughable. I get that you all feel like you know Michelle, but you don't know Michelle. You don't know Clay either. You have no idea what kind of person either one is behind closed doors. You have no idea about their marriage. You have no idea what either is feeling. You're not entitled to know. And IMO you're not entitled to speculate either but then I'm old fashioned like I said before.

Last edited:

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
I am not going to speculate on the marriage, or whose fault anything is (often neither party is at fault, things just arent working anymore) as some in this thread are doing. I know the temptation is to side with Kwan the skating legend over some politician none of us hardly know- especialy in this day in age when many of us increasingly hate politicans to begin with.

That said I do question his demanding she pay lawyer fees when he is the one filing for the divorce and when he is bloody rich to begin with. That is kind of ridiculous, and suggest this is not an amicable split.

lyndichee

Medalist
^ yes, we get it, you is most moral and best person

Tulosai isn't sharing this information to boost their own ego. They are sharing this to show how narrow minded people are being. Thank you for proving their point.

I think regardless of the reason, having what was meant to be a lifelong commitment end in failure is sad and it is astounding that people's first instinct is to cast judgment on her life and her political affiliation. The level of self-importance is appalling here.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

As someone who is currently going through a divorce, I can assure you that none of the reasons you listed apply to my situation. Don't be naive. Everything isn't always so black and white, regardless of whether or not the couple in question are celebrities. Even if they are celebrities, the information presented to the public is often based on false rumours, speculation, and the skewing the truth in order to gain publicity.

lavender

Record Breaker
I agree SarahSynchro....there could be so many reasons. My husband divorced me because I seem to have lost interest and maybe it's true. No cheating was involved on both ends. I knew I made the wrong choice for marriage so he made it for me. We are still friends/family but not together. It was still painful (felt like a death as they say) because was were together for so long (best friends) but in the end I'm happy.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You forgot money (#1?). Seriously, there are a lot more than a handful of reasons why people divorce.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I think even discussing this is in bad taste. You can speculate all you want but no one knows what truly goes on in a marraige except the two people that are married. I think we should give them the privacy that any personal problem deserves.

I agree! Divorce is often devastating for one or both. To speculate about it is pretty sad.

Thread closed. There seems to be little more of merit to add to the discussion.

In the future, let's remember the GS rules against (a) contentious arguing and snide comments of a political nature; (b) gossipy speculations about the private lives of skaters; and (c) disrespecting fellow posters and their opinions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.