Misha Ge | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Misha Ge

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I don't see Shoma hugging anyone on podiums, in fact I seem to recall him giving Yuzuru the brushoff in one famous gif, and everyone said...oh, that's just how he is.

Congratulations to Misha!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a wonderful message from Misha! Makes it easy to love him! https://www.instagram.com/p/BbqMaMbhpoz

Shaking Shoma's hand and hugging Javi -- totally appropriate! They were trying to outdo each other with how deeply they could bow to each other, which is a sign of respect. In fact with probably knowing that Shoma is still not 100% well, I might not even have wanted to shake his hand! :luv17: Misha was a total gentleman...One thing I did think was that don't they usually shake hands / hug the gold medalist first? Not a big deal, but that thought came to mind. All the emotions were so heartfelt that all that other peripheral stuff didn't seem to much matter!

SkaterX

On the Ice
Wow. I'm blown away by the fact that he's been skating for so long and came back strong to get his first GP medal at the age of 26 while also working as a choreographer for other elite skaters. So impressive!

cleo2070

Final Flight
Interview taken at Skate America, focusing on Misha as a coach-choreographer:
http://figureskatersonline.com/news...a-coach-and-choreographer-is-from-my-parents/

Things that stood out for me:

This season, I choreographed 19 programs and had to say no to 15 more programs because of the lack of time. In order to choreograph, I had to cancel my own participation in 38 show performances around the world, including the famous Swiss show, Art on Ice. Something had to give so I could continue my own training and preparation for the Olympics. After this season, I will most likely be transitioning into the role of choreographer and sport manager full-time, and I am getting ready for this transition now.

VB: As a skater who is known by the artistic merits of your programs, what do you think of the current state of judging of the “artistic” components?

MG: I am not ready to express my opinion yet. I believe thousands of experts, coaches, judges and even spectators have to express their opinions in order to decide which direction to take. I do know that a program has to be balanced and maybe it means that skaters have to be judged for the whole program, and not separately for technical and artistic aspects of it.

esteticlove

Final Flight
Have you seen Misha's latest Instagram feed? He posts pictures and videos from his stay in Korea, he is also rooting for other skaters. I love it, this really provides an insight view of the Games and can't compare with the media reports. Thank you, Misha for showing as how lovely the skaters are with each other and what a lovely person you are :luv17:

siena

Rinkside
So I'm new and can't post a link to it since this is my first post, but I saw today on twitter that Misha brought Jackie (rockerskating) food while he was watching and reporting on practices today. So thoughtful!

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Congrats to Misha for such a lovely skate! :love: . Definitive one of the highlight of the day. Such a pity for the low PCS.

1164628139AXEL

Spectator
Absolutely love his programs. A commentator for the 2018 Winter Olympics once called him the 'the artist' and I definitely agree. You just have to see how he uses his whole body to convey his programs emotions.

livetoskate

On the Ice
OMG! He is half-Chinese! He looks fully Caucasian. o_O

He's not half, a quarter -- if it is politically correct to say that. (I recall a half Asian guy joking "my left arm is Caucasian.") From what I've read, Misha's father is Chinese and Russian. Or also some other Asian ethnicity. Misha's mother is Russian. His paternal grandfather is a Chinese artist. Anyway, it's so interesting how Misha is a big mix of different cultures, was born in Russia and grew up in China, and can speak/read/write Chinese, English, and Russian. He's so cool and seems to be friends with all the skaters.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I just updated Misha's OP. If there are any omissions or corrections needed, I hope you will tell me!

And I hope Misha will decide not to retire quite yet!

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
TSL posted a lengthy wide-ranging interview w Misha. https://youtu.be/kDBTJ_ZG9e8 This was a fantastic interview (regardless of whether or not you like TSL). I must say, hearing him speak so articulately about his background, skating career, choreography, coaching, and vision for the future, I have an even greater appreciation of this young man. I look forward to seeing all that he brings to figure skating in the coming years.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Misha will be a special guest skater in NYC on May 2nd at Ice Theatre of New York's Spring Unplugged gala at Chelsea Piers. (Gracie is being honored although it's unclear if she will be performing, too - fingers crossed).

Gracie and Misha will be doing a skating seminar on May 4th in New Jersey. Details at the link above.

BTW, I will be going to the performance but not the seminar.

Imov

Medalist
In his latest tweet happy he enjoyed Japan very much.
He deserves to have fun after working so hard.